- "@dizzybanjo: I asked in the Tate shop if they had anything on Susan Philipsz. 'Susan Who? Oh … No'" #
- That sense that somewhere at this very moment David Shields is painstakingly constructing a novel entirely from other people's tweets. #
- Good @inceptiontheapp chat: "I'm not sure under what circumstances you would use this" vs "pretty amazing piece of work": http://is.gd/iwm4A #
- Who fancy is in SF? Champagne SUV just headed toward ocean guided by dozen-plus motorcycle police. #
- "He lived in his head. Doesn't everyone? The difference is that he knew it." Richard Hell on Jim Carroll via @nytimes: http://j.mp/hKoJ1s #
- Autocorrect in iOS just turned "Richard Hell" into "Richard He'll." #
- The Organic Reactive Audio Filter: my infant, snoring on my shoulder, occasionally alters breathing due to external noise (bus, dishes). #
- Wrote twice in two days about things Yes-related: Bad Plus (covered "Runaround"), Hans Zimmer (in video for Buggles song with Horn/Downes). #
- RT @BoingBoing: Music Apps Killed the MP3 Star http://bit.ly/hWDyI6 [In which I extoll the reactive-sound virtues of the Inception app.] #
- RIP, saxophonist James Moody (b. 1925) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/11/arts/music/11moody.html via @rlainhart #
- Funny to see head of @mystified131 appear multiple times along the bottom of the waveform of this track by @hiddenplace http://is.gd/itIiD #
- 76,126 people now like Cage Against the Machine on Facebook. Of my 508 Facebook friends, only 11 like it. C'mon people! http://is.gd/itbbL #
- Bookies give 8-1 odds that John Cage's 4'33" wins the Christmas No 1 spot: http://is.gd/it8CB #cageagainstthemachine #
- On Goodreads accidentally clicked "Forgive Ourselves, Totally: Begin Again by Breaking Free from Past Mistakes" but meant the John Cage bio. #
- Will Robert Fripp make as much off the new Kanye as Nick Lowe made from the Bodyguard soundtrack? #
- In the 4chan movie, the @smithsonian-nixed Wojnarowicz video would be playing on all government-installed televisions/monitors right now. #
- .@Gurdonark Yeah, my biggest Win 7 issue is getting some Steam games, like Chimes, to play on my Netbook. Other netbook issue: Gimp. #
- Congrats @thicketapp @soundythingie @snibbe @hansolhuh @hypmag for Apple's recognition of "Generative Art & Sound" apps: http://is.gd/isOqy #
- Aleksei Saks of @umamusic reports: "Peter Chilvers using Bloom from his iPad on our Estonian tour. Enjoy to play with these sounds." #
- Fave (Win7) shareware of the moment: WinSplit, ResophNotes, Filezilla, Volumouse, Quintessential, Dark Room. #
- "@alexismadrigal: It's probably $100,000." And rewards Twitter, which folks might not dig. Still, about a dime for every tweet we've seen. #
- Wikileaks fails Twitter-trends algorithm. Wikileaks funding is cut off. Is there a pool to fund a "promoted" Wikileaks Twitter trend? #
- Oh, 4chan overlords, please don't slay me for neglecting to capitalize the L in Wikileaks. #
- For you WordPress(.org) users who check Twitter more than your Dashboard, there's a new security upgrade: http://is.gd/istmj #
- Brief interview I did with Bad Plus pianist. Love the electricity-free techno of title cut off its new album, Never Stop: http://is.gd/ismJx #
- Charles Stross' Accelerando prepared me for the Singularity — and for watching my infant grow. #
- “@eleventhvolume: choice for funeral song: Tango of Oblivion by Dino Saluzzi (solo bandoneon).” I think we own the same records. #
- True Deep After-Midnight Silence (Light Tinnitus Mix) #
- "@aworks: Einstein on the Beach in Berkeley. 2012!" That is great news. Thanks for the alert. Some details: http://is.gd/iqIKG #
- Trying to sort out when in Twitter to auto-retweet, when to RT, when to use quotation marks. Had been doing 2nd but am shifting to 3rd. #
- .@countrymarxist Oh, a Bloom piece? I cannot wait to hear it! #
- Major thanks @saraivry @lenpsmall & everyone @tabletmag for the whole "Hanukkah, remixed" project! http://is.gd/hXa01 http://is.gd/i7DDz #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 8: “Yishama-O-Rama (Radiata Edit)” by Cut Loose (Wellington, NZ); original by Klezmer Rebs http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- "police believe Ronni Chasen was killed in a botched robbery." Terriers anyone? World has pulled flip on Law & Order. #headlinesrippedfromtv #
- This rain makes me wanna contact-mic my roof, but for the time being I'll just continue to record sounds with my pen (and keyboard). #
- This whole Wikileaks thing is moving from Transmetroplitan (gonzo journalism 3.0) to Fahrenheit 451 (media demonization of media defiance). #
- Early warnings: @eleventhvolume on Sleazy's accomplishment on Peter Gabriel's solo debut cover design http://is.gd/ip9Qp #
- The pulsing red background to the Inception app looks like if Mark Rothko had collaborated on Brion Gysin's Dreammachine. #
- Do we pay "longbox tax" when we cough up $1.99 for e-comics? Seems pricey, like paying for convenience of not having pile of pamphlets. #
- Anonymous 4 and 4chan should collaborate for some early hacker polyphony. #
- Just got wrong-number call asking for the IT director. That could have been fun. "See that plug, yeah, just pull it out." #
- Thanks for the interest in Roach/Freeman Immersion Station app. Congrats, @abre_ojos @HillfieldMuncky @Humean; I'll be in touch with codes. #
- Want free copy of Roach/Freeman app Immersion Station? Tweet me @disquiet. 3 random wins in 1 hour, sooner if 40 reply. http://is.gd/ioL9n #
- Have 3 copies of Steve Roach & Eric Freeman Immersion Station iOS app. Read up here http://immersionstation.com/ Contest starts on the hour. #
- .@Richard_Kadrey Sweet, a mellotron app. I love the Korg DS-10, and all these generative things popping up. #
- Motorcycles and Cars (Breathing of Infant Sleeping on Shoulder Mix) #
- Tomorrow I'll give away copies (i.e., freebie codes) of Steve Roach's iOS app, Immersion Station. First I need to figure best way to do it. #
- RT @robinrimbaud I'm just mastering [new Turner winner] Susan Philipsz's new vinyl release too so stay tuned for that very special edition. #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 7: “Hava Nagila” remixed by Roddy Schrock. Original by Paul Toshner & Felix Benasuly (poi43.com). http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- Good conversation going on ramifications of app instruments (copyright, etc.) http://is.gd/in5yq I'll weigh in after I get Vietnamese food. #
- Thanks for the good wishes, regarding @boingboing, folks. More to come. Very excited for Susan Philipsz's Turner; great news for sound art. #
- .@countrymarxist If you record with Bloom, I'd love to hear it. #
- RT @telstarlogistic celebrate Dark Matter Awareness Week http://bit.ly/fiLpNK [Oh that's why the 12/2 ep of Nikita was titled "Dark Matter"] #
- Words that 25 years ago I never dreamed I'd have the opportunity to type: Winners of Steve Reich remix contest announced: http://is.gd/imqRy #
- RT @xenijardin Yo, Marc Weidenbaum, Welcome to @boingboing guestblog http://tinyurl.com/3yxd4bb Turner sound art: http://tinyurl.com/36g5n3j #
- It's like if Eric Satie made industrial music today at home: baby's vibro-chair in living room, while washing machine rumbles in the rear. #
- Tuesday noon siren, followed by house-rattling bus. #
- Susan Philipsz, now the first sound artist to win Turner Prize: http://j.mp/hBdwHQ This is great. I was just glad she got shortlisted. #
- Distant Traffic (Creaking House and Hard Drive Mix) #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 6: “Chanukah Chag Yafe” remix by @ocp_pt_vu (João Ricardo), original by Alexandria Kleztet http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- These 100s of Wikileaks mirrors make me feel like I'm living in @warrenellis's Transmetropolitan or one of @doctorow's young-adult books. #
- Terriers has been canceled. I need to drown my sorrows in dim sum. #
- Rattly Cardboard Scavenger Truck (Soggy Night Mix) #
- Keith Rowe with Oren Ambarchi and Crys Cole, shot last night: http://is.gd/igLZZ As always, great performance photos from downtownmusic.net. #
- ♪ Listen(ing) to a drone minus the drone, by @vuzhmusic, who calls it "a map of the freckles on the skin of the drone": http://is.gd/igwIH #
- RT @osakimandias It's not rain I care for, it's the sound of the rain. And a day that is aurally good becomes subtly better in other ways. #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 5: New Klezmer Trio's “Thermoglyphics” remixed by @robotdancerobot aka @mrbiggsdotcom http://is.gd/hXa01 #cyborgfolk #
- Light Rain on Wood, Glass, Concrete, Tar, and Grass (Desktop Computer Hard Drive and Fan Mix) #
- You can criticize governmental bloodlust regarding Wikileaks without thinking the best diplomacy means naked diplomats in glass embassies. #
- Finished reading a book. It was cool, like a whole buncha tweets in a row (a lot, too many to count) someone had printed out and bound. #
- Noon Church Bells and Passing Aircraft (Closed Windows on Cold Day Mix) #
- Ownership of a ukulele presents a much greater threat to commercially recorded music than does filesharing. #
- No, your fingers are not numb. Those are calluses: ukulele calluses. The irony: finding strumming more challenging than the chord stuff. #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 4: Diego Bernal riffs on “Ose Shalom” by 4th Ward Afro-Klezmer Orch http://is.gd/hXa01 + 22tape's http://is.gd/i7DDz #
- It's a Lone Wolf and Cub kinda day. #
- Wikileaks: Chinese government "obsessed with…threat posed by…Internet to their grip on power." http://is.gd/icyf4 Sure it's only China? #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice