- A little post-C/Hanuk/kah word comparison: http://is.gd/iVy1i from @tabletmag #ngram #
- First time I heard Cap Beefheart I was 11-ish. When I went home from my friend's house I told my parents I'd heard an LP made only of farts. #
- RIP, Don Van Vliet (b. 1941), Captain Beefheart. #
- I feel and think about netlabels today the way I felt about minicomics in the early 1990s. There's more to it than that, but it's a start. #
- Noon church bells, mellowed in the thick drizzle. (So that's why it's called dampening.) #
- Update on #delicious not shutting down but not staying at Yahoo: http://www.geekosystem.com/delicious-not-shutting-down/ #
- If you're in Fredericton, NB, CA; Traverse City, MI; or Asheville, NC, it's Unsilent Night tonight. http://is.gd/iG4z2 @myunsilentnight #
- Light Post-Midnight Traffic (B-Grade TV & Laptop Hard Drive Mix) #
- Use of the word "ambient" really took off in the late 1970s. Who woulda thunk? http://is.gd/iT235 #ngram #
- Its Ninja versus Pirate, literary style: comparative chart of use of words for past 100 years: http://j.mp/h22IoV #googlengram #
- Google Ngram graph of usage of word "disquiet" since 1900. Note uptick since 1996, year I purchased Disquiet.com URL: http://j.mp/i5d10a #
- If you're in Kettering, Ohio, it's Unsilent Night tonight. http://is.gd/iG4z2 @myunsilentnight #
- .@ everyone-who-wrote: pinboard.in refunds until three days. Need longer to know if it works (for my needs). Thanks for the tips. #delicious #
- Delicious is the one external source I've used for my Disquiet.com site (for the Elsewhere links). Need to sort out alternative. #cloudy #
- Currently glad I don't depend on Flickr for hosting photos (re: del.icio.us closure report). #
- Is this for real? Delicious closing shop? via @ario /// @techcrunch says "Yes" http://is.gd/iRzMh #
- RT @boingboing Wax Cylinder: Occult Sonic Technology of a Bygone Age, Good as New http://bit.ly/iiFOyb (It's my latest BB piece.) #
- Wondering why I don't list comics on @goodreads. Maybe because I read a lot as pamphlets, not when they're collected as graphic novels? #
- Morning sounds: buses, lots of them, and things rattling as they pass. #
- Ukulele-callus fingers sound very different against paper than do strumming fingers. (Paper in question is Charles Burns' X'ed Out.) #
- "@ranjit: @disquiet looking for sonic activism participants, sample-based, due Sunday: email@example.com" /// Thanks. 3 tracks already done! #
- Good news: Encyclopedia of Recorded Sound, Volume 1 (A-L), by Frank Hoffman, available as Google eBook. Bad news: $272. http://is.gd/iOdak #
- This seems very meta. Go to http://www.deadmedia.org/ and it reads "temporarily offline." #
- I think I have this right: Crawl -> Walk -> Run -> Fly -> Teleport -> Time Travel #21stcenturyparenting #
- .@ethanhein Yeah, a successful mashup become a hybrid (that then gets, potentially, mashed itself). #
- .@ethanhein Yeah, maybe — or mashups retain some sense of individual parts, while hybrids strive to become a new singular entity. #
- Planning on starting two-week Twitter (and much Internet) break middle of next week. Cue chiptune version of John Lennon's "Cold Turkey." #
- RT @lenpsmall you must prep Roker book w screws (re: "Saw John Cage bio up front on table at Borders, right next to Al Roker novel") #
- A little bee-related music information for @boondesign http://is.gd/iNSkJ #
- Saw the John Cage bio up front on a table at Borders, right next to the Al Roker novel. #
- "@ethanhein: I'm going to say, nope. RT @disquiet: do hybrid & mashup mean different things" Maybe it's a nuance: caution versus energy. #
- Wondering whether we mean different things in any meaningful way when we say hybrid versus mashup. #
- Remembering when a hybrid car meant it might float. #
- Imagining an @oblique / @buddhamachine mashup/hybrid gadget. #
- Morning sounds: two drones (refrigerator through wall + low-flying airplane). #
- Video of Steve Roden's soon-to-close (Dec 19) sound/sculpture installation, inspired by Buckminster Fuller: http://vimeo.com/17551291 #
- "@BoingBoing: If You Meet the Buddha Machine on the Road, Hack It http://bit.ly/ecfQxN" In which I yap about new one & wish for the next. #
- At home: two-monitor computer. Away, also two screens: iPod Touch & Android phone. Latter pairing increasingly seems useful, not redundant. #
- Sonic-activism project clarification: It's sample-based, and due date is this coming Sunday. Wanna participate? Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org. #
- .@blocsonic Amazing that after all the effort folks put into netlabels that RSS feed, contact info and geographic location often go missing. #
- Our next little act of remixy sonic activism is taking shape. Have room for a few more contributors. Interested? Email me: email@example.com #
- “@boondesign: Walking and humming Deerhunter song which was on radio when car ignited. #clairvoyance” Better yet: #clairaudience #
- RIP, pianist/scholar Jacob Lateiner (b. 1928), who among other things commissioned and premiered (in 1967) Elliott Carter's Piano Concerto. #
- Tuesday noon alarm here in San Francisco. One of those days when the tones start rising, and seem like they're never going to stop doing so. #
- Saw no contact info on a netlabel's site. Finally discovered it in xml metadata buried in one of the label's archive.org project pages. #
- John King: sketching in museums allows "comprehension through emulation, as artists have throughout time" / @deyoungmuseum should reconsider #
- Great piece by John King on inane @deyoungmuseum prohibition of sketching in special exhibits http://t.co/fFHppCz @sfgate #pecksniffian #
- Great #netlabel discussion going at my @boingboing guestblog post http://ow.ly/1rXQyC … 22 comments & counting. Name your fave netlabels. #
- The netbook household is considerably more quiet than is the desktop household. #
- Interested in some fast-turnaround sonic activism? Shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. #
- .@geetadayal @artnetdotcom Could an art-critic detractor of an arena like sound art have a better name than "Dorment"? http://bit.ly/g80pUX #
- RT @vuzhmusic AGH! The spotlight is blinding all of us mole-people from the underground! #netlabel @boingboing http://ow.ly/1rXQyC #
- "@mrdanielcarter: You may enjoy this: http://j.mp/gnGaZl" I love me some Albers. Another great album-art site: http://www.hardformat.org/ #
- .@countrymarxist Totally. Amp hum is to great rock-derived music what once-a-mistake/twice-a-motif bum notes are to jazz. #
- Gorgeous old-school "Seven Steps to Better Listening" vinyl LP album cover at http://designspiration.net/image/573/ #
- … Gotta love that it's all about reproduction not reception, technology not comprehension. #
- Step 7: Reduced record wear #7stepstobetterlistening #
- Step 6: Elimination of buzzes and rattles #7stepstobetterlistening #
- Step 5: Left-right separation #7stepstobetterlistening #
- Step 4: Tone control setting #7stepstobetterlistening #
- Step 3: Loudspeaker balance #7stepstobetterlistening #
- Step 2: Proper loudspeaker connection (phasing) #7stepstobetterlistening #
- Step 1: Left-right sound identification #7stepstobetterlistening #
- The Seven Steps to Better Listening, via @mrdanielcarter … #
- Sharing some #netlabel love @boingboing http://ow.ly/1rXQyC #
- Coming down from a Reverie Dream on the 22 Fillmore @inceptiontheapp #reactive #
- Stepped outside the house just as noon bells began to ring. Felt very "OK Carillon." #
- We've heard sonified Kobe quake data & Isao Hashimoto's sonification of nuclear proliferation. Anyone doing anything soundy with Wikileaks? #
- Is "casual apps" redundant? #
- If you're in Philadelphia, it's Unsilent Night tonight (Dec 13). http://is.gd/iG4z2 @myunsilentnight #
- As John Cage said to Morton Feldman: "I've never heard anyone boo a transistor radio." http://www.catm.co.uk/ #cageagainstthemachine #
- Video of Cage Against the Machine: http://is.gd/iG39l … Sorry! That's Pootie Tang. Here's CAtM: http://is.gd/iG2LG #cage #charity #silence #
- 14 years ago today I purchased the Disquiet.com URL. It was Friday the 13th, 1996. The process involved a lot of faxing, as I recall. #
- "@livingdancing: Retweeting also kills approximative word of mouth. RT @disquiet: File sharing is killing home taping." Man, I miss mouths. #
- "@vuzhmusic: isn't it undergoing a renaissance? RT @disquiet File sharing is killing home taping." Is it, or just prerecorded cassettes? #
- File sharing is killing home taping. #
- "@benchilada: @disquiet – I try to moderate my moderation, lest it interfere with thinks like nightmarish whiskey binges." True, & bourbon. #
- Moderation in all things, including moderation — but with the exception of comments moderation, which I'd like to keep to a bare minimum. #
- WordPress keeps sending comments with more than one link to spam. I need to sort out a smoother comment system. #
- My fave grits: jalapeño cheese grits at Cafe Atchafalaya in New Orleans (not far from where I lived) #gritsunday Been a long time, sadly. #
- Church Bells (Baby's Snoring, Walls, and Distance Mix) #
- .@cinchel It's getting easier. There's a profile button in the @soundcloud app on each track, and it shows that user's track timeline. #
- Latest @soundcloud app update for iOS links up with @foursquare — wondering if this will be a boon to locative communal field recording. #
- Either someone is playing Christmas songs really quiet next door, or really loud a block or two away, #
- Docent on historic house tour said a framed tin/conch vest was from a "pneumatic tribe." #steamtribes #knowmad #
- .@Entroporium You know it. Unsilent Night in SF, one week from tonight. My newborn's first! #
- Puerto Rican food for lunch. Yow, just yow. Will be crossing the Golden Gate Bridge more often. #garlic #pollo #bistec #plantain #moregarlic #
- Re: @inceptiontheapp "@dizzybanjo: Some people are leaving it on all night!" Reminds me of a certain squence in Walken/Wood's Brainstorm. #
- And there's a MIME joke in there somewhere #clowncomputing #
- Ruby on Rusty Nails #clowncomputing #
- John Wayne Gates #clowncomputing #
- Musician Leyland Kirby has removed ("pulled down") all the content on his website, as of 12/8: http://is.gd/izBD0 via @warrenellis #
- I hope a hashtag develops for tweets of @inceptiontheapp-induced anecdotes @dizzybanjo #
- .@osakimandias Maybe they can add rubber-on-pavement sound effects to hovercraft, along the lines of the faux-motor that hybrid cars have. #
- Enjoying Clone Wars. Makes up for the prequels. Amidala: tougher. Intrigue: greater. Clones: cooler. Action: extended. Jar Jar: absent-er. #
- .@osakimandias If we get hovercraft first, will that help ease the transition? I guess different hov-tech will have different sounds. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
needles: "Noll’s compositions and performances under all of his names are other-level. "
Carolyn Jackson: "It’s not your imagination. The outfit was Laurie Spiegel inspired! "
Neil: "Great, interesting piece. Marc, have you thought about making the concept of ‘Bracket Sound’ a..."
Tom: "This is heavenly "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet. • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi. • 0267 / The Metronomic Society / Create a theme song for a fictional organization. • 0266 / Vocal Cuts / Use segments of your own held vowel to make music. • 0265 / Kitchen Music / Record a piece of music that uses items from just one drawer.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice