- I'm taking next 2 weeks off Twitter. Going Twitter-dark. And largely Internet-dark. 2011 approaches. See you on the other side. Back Jan 5. #
- Managed to get a best-film-scores of 2010 list done, too. Will post it soon. (TV music doesn't get enough love. But that's for another day.) #
- My buddy's http://superheronovels.com site, which I helped him rig up, got a nice nod from @io9 today http://j.mp/e6pNHZ #capes #nopictures #
- Evening sounds: laptop hard drive, TiVo hard drive, crunching and rattle of toy in baby's hands, car doors of people getting home from work. #
- Autocorrect is the pocket calculator of the present time. #
- Need to get some really nifty looking rechargeable batteries to put inside my clear, new Buddha Machine. #naked #
- About to go record shopping with my daughter. She's 16 weeks old today. This should prove interesting. #
- Great musician-wanted ad: "@djrupture We're looking for someone who plays keyboard, triggers samples, dislikes jazz & loves repetition #NYC quot; #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: funny it should happen during this rare break from the rain. It signals, "Look outside everyone!" #
- Forum-generated list of movie scores converted to CD from LP for first time in 2010 http://is.gd/jaCmG Day of the Locust, Once a Thief, … #
- "2010: A year with no new movies scored by Gustavo Santaolalla or Cliff Martinez". Retracted: There was Santaolla, just no Martinez. #
- 2010: A year with no new movies scored by Gustavo Santaolalla or Cliff Martinez. #
- Dear @googlenews — If I opt out of main sports section, maybe your algorithm should limit sports showing in my local San Francisco feed? #
- One of the best iPhone/Pad/Touch sound apps of 2010, Thicket, is free today http://ca-n.in/aClUh9 via @creativeapplications & @thicketapp #
- If you're in Charleston, WV, it's Unsilent Night tonight. http://is.gd/iG4z2 @myunsilentnight #
- Six ways of drawing the moon. Introducing Galileo, earliest known Oubapo artist http://bit.ly/gTcSkb @mmaddencomics (via @boingboing) #
- Our sonic @TelegraphNews rebuttal has first bonus track, courtesy of @ethanhein: "Sigh Beats" http://j.mp/dU1J2P #philipsz #lowlands #turner #
- Susan Philipsz won Turner Dec 6. Richard Dorment of @telegraphnews dismissed it Dec 7. Yesterday we responded in sound: http://j.mp/dU1J2P #
- Going Twitter-dark in 12 hours. Looking forward to two slightly less technologically mediated weeks. (Not wholesale; e.g., still on email.) #
- Evening sounds: plane passing slowly (making that infinite descending-bomb drone), baby's breathing, refrigerator on hum. #aanechoic #
- RT @BoingBoing "An experimental musical petri-dish" http://bit.ly/hCOaK4 [In which I wrote about the glorious Seaquence.org.] #
- "@geetadayal: sound artists "answer record" responding to critic's dismissive Susan Philipsz review http://is.gd/j5Pe6" Thanks, Geeta! #
- Susan Philipsz's installation won Turner Prize. Richard Dorment of @telegraphnews dismissed it. We respond: http://disquiet.com/turner2010 #
- What's more plein air than field recording? Aside, perhaps, from simply listening. #
- Distant Traffic (Netbook Hard Drive and Fan Mix) #
- 4'33" enters chart at #21 John Cage would be proud. The 21st I Ching hexagram "indicates how obstacles are forcibly removed in nature." #
- Ace beatmaker Diego Bernal is running for San Antonio City Council District 1. Support his campaign: http://bit.ly/fWkUlp @dbernalmusic #
- I love Google Tasks. As @lifehacker has shown repeatedly, the best form of list-making is often paper. Google Tasks is like paper + sync. #
- Our sonic-activist "answer album" to Megan McArdle article about music industry gets best-of-2010 nod: http://is.gd/j1SJf from @vuzhmusic #
- The @nytimes Year in Ideas includes Turbine-Free Wind Power that does away with noise/vibration issues http://is.gd/j1Ptr #hallelujah #
- Sampling: it's a cover version, not a crime. #
- Just posted a five-minute (stationary mic) recording of last night's Unsilent Night in San Francisco: http://is.gd/j1rjt @soundcloud #fluxus #
- If you're in Salt Lake City, San Diego, Vancouver or Los Angeles, it's Unsilent Night tonight. http://is.gd/iG4z2 @myunsilentnight #
- Sequencing our little sonic-activist project, 11 tracks (potentially a few more coming by end of day). Should be live tomorrow or Tuesday. #
- If you were at the Unsilent Night in San Francisco, could you get in touch with me? I have a couple questions. Thanks. #
- .@tedfriedman Want a good take on environment in which Dead took shape, read Lesh's autobiography side by side with John Markoff's Dormouse. #
- Three and a half hours until Unsilent Night. Load up your boomboxes. #
- Cute THX 1138 joke in this morning's Clone Wars episode. 99 is more interesting than any character introduced in the 3 Star Wars prequels. #
- Four, maybe five, days until I go Twitter-dark through the end of the year. Looking forward to it. #
- Umi Nom = restaurant with "nom" in its name. Gotta love it. I guess "umi nom" means "drink" in Tagalog (per @newyorker)? It's in Brooklyn. #
- Woo! It's Unsilent Night tonight in San Francisco: http://is.gd/iG4z2 @myunsilentnight Also: Charleston, SC; Dallas, TX; Manhattan, NY. #
- After the whole del.icio.us thing, find myself disinclined to type the word "yahoo." What to do? "Yay"? "Neat"? "Woo"? I'll go with "woo." #
- The adjectives "indie" and "enterprise" bug me to equal degrees. #
- Morning sounds: heater, netbook hard drive, a few cars, footsteps, ice against glass. Also notable: absence of last night's intense wind. #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends. • 0259 / Signals Lost / Summon up a horror story in sound.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice