- It says "Goodnight noises everywhere" which is how I like to read it even if it's almost certainly "Goodnight, noises everywhere." #
- I asked a cranky (but not rhetorical) @quora question about how to rid the site of the plague of "best" inquiries: http://j.mp/fcHfXt #
- ► Yasuo Akai's smudged Goldberg Variations is the loveliest thing I heard this week: http://j.mp/fVCzEC Initial thoughts: http://j.mp/gQe1zq #
- There is definitely some correlation between missing socks and spare computer cables. #
- So now we all inhabit an alternate universe in which Fringe airs on Fridays. #
- Cleaning office to sounds of latest Buddha Machine, plus guest appearance by noon bells. #
- Many thanks to Justin Orr (of jusscope.com) for drawing my new Twitter background, part of the ongoing "Sketches of Sound" series. #
- Post-midnight sounds: TiVo hard drive, distant cars, lightbulb. A dense quiet. #
- You've been at your computer too long when you're surprised your TV doesn't require you to enter a password. #
- Thanks again to @n_ludmila for drawing my great twitter.com/disquiet wallpaper, from my "Sketches of Sound" series. New image up shortly. #
- ♪ Evening gaping-maw fuzz-drone: "Fleshcave" by @whaleclaw of Austin, Texas, via @warrenellis http://j.mp/gSrn37 #
- Why not Fb? It's basically AOL with a nice UI. Why Fb? Astonishing how many accomplished musicians and heavy listeners make a home there. #
- Very infrequently, if at all. "@vuzhmusic: @disquiet Out of curiosity (don't intend to join FB), you planning to have exclusive content?" #
- OK, "official" URL for Disquiet Facebook page: http://facebook.com/disquiet.fb. Though Facebook can take it back, and probably owns my DNA. #
- Earliest Disquiet.com page, from 11/1997, in @internetarchive Wayback Machine: http://j.mp/eNrVvN (Site actually dates from 12/1996.) #
- .@internetarchive New Wayback Machine looks pretty darn elegant. Nice one. #
- .@dfelsenfeld Oh, totally. I personally think that "indie" is a ridiculous term, one that fetishizes an urchin-like place in the world. #
- I guess "indie music" is a catchier term than "unindentured music." #
- .@ediebushwick Excellent. Like a scene from a 1970s version of Being Human: an AA meeting for Frankenstein's monsters. http://j.mp/eCifC2 #
- Black Swan is about two actresses with competing movies about being in casual sexual relationships with friends who want to be movie stars. #
- America: where the mentally unstable can purchase firearms but scientists can't futz with video-game consoles: http://t.co/XUbBI55 via @qDot #
- In San Francisco Saturday? It's the opening of Zimoun's @gaffta exhibit of his tiny-motor-driven installations, e.g.: http://t.co/5VkwBtQ #
- Read @softskull Deep Focus series in North Beach, people think you've got poetry chapbooks; it's actually novelists writing on "genre" films #
- Experiencing town-gown flashbacks as I read about KUSF FM closure. Apparently my own FM alma mater is online-only these days: @wybcx #
- Feel terrible I missed KUSF protest to catch Zimoun in concert @swissnexSF, but his appearance in San Francisco was a rare one. Great show. #
- Reading Christopher Sorrentino on Bronson's Death Wish, reminded that Tucson is where the nascent vigilante gets his gun as a gift. #
- Spent far too much time today reading up on the hows (and mostly how-nots) of implementing USB keyboard on Android phone. #nexusstestdrive #
- "@bldgblog: Listening to the "ultrabass sounds of the giant star xi Hya": http://is.gd/R5kFTP" #
- Facebook Page for Disquiet.com has been interesting. In a few hours 45 people Like it, only half of 'em from my Friends. http://j.mp/eGEryh #
- "@primusluta: Went to help a friend through an MRI. Don't remember it being so loud. Made me want to play MRI machine like an instrument." #
- According to search at nature.com, my mention of Quatermass in my Cage/BBC review is the 1st in the mag since 1997, and only 3rd since 1989. #
- My review for Nature of new John Cage bio (Knopf) & BBC Radiophonic (Oxford) is in Jan 20 issue: http://j.mp/fhScs7 #subrequired @naturenews #
- Artificial as in intelligence not sweetener. #
- If you do Facebook, I set up a "Page" (TM) for Disquiet.com: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Disquiet/187677897928971 #redundant #yetnot #
- 44,000: No. of albums necessary to sell to be #1 on Billboard charts this week. Lowest ever. Nonetheless, congrats to Cake, who did it. #
- Very excited to see Zimoun and Jim Haynes tonight at @swissnexSF #
- RT "Q: @carlstone Has your daily tone ever been a palindrome?" "A: @disquiet No, but my piece Nak Won is http://tinyurl.com/48tase3" #
- Finished a book (Kevin Kelly's); bought two more (Lethem, Sorrentino). This is how the forces of Hydra plan to take over the world, right? #
- RIP, rock promoter Don Kirshner (b. 1934), http://bit.ly/edFgKf via @defjaf #
- Just perfect that the Internet Archive's entrance (in my neighborhood) is a former Christian Science "Reading Room." #
- After thinking about Tokyo bars last night, needed curry lunch. #jimbocho #richmonddistrict #
- Noon sirens sound like someone slowed 'em down. #
- I know "toxins" are real but the term is used so broadly that when I read it I think how in the past people spoke of "humors" and "angels." #
- Today, Jan. 18, is clearly the day when music and art publicists break their new-year resolutions to cut back on email. #
- .@tomcomitta My pleasure. Been in my head to focus more on sound poetry this year, and then, lo and behold, I come upon your Howl(s). #
- .@felixincognito "Dirty LP: Images of Living-Room Turntables in the Films of Clint Eastwood" #
- Three words keep coming to mind from this past weekend: "rumble strips ahead." #
- On this sunny afternoon the fog horns (deep, emphatic, spartan) are like the audio track to a Godzilla serial directed by Jim Jarmusch. #
- I like to imagine that Donnie Yen's movie IP Man: The Legend of the Grandmaster is about fighting copyright violations with martial arts. #
- For #Android folks, my first Disquiet.com post with photos shot (at packed gallery opening) on my Nexus S: http://j.mp/e6jYUO #testdrive #
- Everything I play on my ukulele today will, in effect, be a duet for ukulele and fog horn. Hope the horns can keep up! #
- Absence of video games in Entertainment Weekly's 2011 preview (just film, TV, books, music) suggests pop-cultural myopia of epic proportion. #
- The @quora service is nifty, but it's fast become a tyranny of "best" — best this, best that, as if one size fits all. #
- It's almost as if one of the neighbors is playing Ingram Marshall's Fog Tropes really loud. #richmonddistrict #
- Didn't catch the Golden Globes, but very glad that Trent Reznor (and Atticus Ross — c'mon people, it wasn't a solo gig) won for best score. #
- My kid is 4.5 months old today. I'm playing Nick Lowe's "My Heart Hurts" to her on my ukulele. I think she's singing along. Or heckling. #
- Looking forward to first non-repeat episode of Young Justice. If it's twice as good as the premier "movie," it'll be OK. #
- Cool. The Charles Bronson film The Mechanic (1972), on which the new Jason Statham is based, is in the "watch instantly" section of Netflix. #
- "@dishliquid: Wet road smacked by tires, broken screen door twisting in the wind, macbook fan whirring/whining, stomach growling." #eartwit #
- Morning sounds: baby noises, hard drive, computer fan, typing, refrigerator, bus. #
- "@GlennF: The crows are going insane outside. It sounds like 1,000 car alarms" #eartwit #
- There is so much fog that the horns tonight seem redundant. #
- Great opening night at http://e6gallery.com/. Sound pieces:Ginsberg poetry cutups & audio-directed auto-drawing. Bonus: Neil Young sighting. #
- "qDot: Putting small mics in the elevators at a furry con would make for one /hell/ of a field recording project. #fc2011 quot; #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice