- Re-read Jasia Reichardt's Computer in Art for like 10th time. Slim 1971 book about computer graphics but with obvious musical application. #
- Obituary for Egyptian artist/musician Ahmed Basiony (1978-2011) with partial list of exhibits: http://j.mp/fjAyvg via @africancolours #jan25 #
- Morning sounds: cars, hard drive/fan, no birds, no planes, no bus; fridge asleep, like everyone else. #
- It's a relief when you compare a musician's work positively to Depeche Mode's and said musician doesn't want to kill you. #
- Malcolm Gladwell sets out to prove ideas by yoking together disconnected anecdotes. He must see Egypt as an anecdote that doesn't fit. #
- "@timprebble: thoroughly enjoyed stuck/skipping CD in bookstore just now – went on for 10min – perfect soundtrack" #eartwit #glitch #chance #
- "@LongplayerNow: Longplayer has been playing for 11 years 34 days 11 hours 57 minutes. http://j.mp/f6JLkY Sounding beautiful right now." #
- Genius: Steve Reich's "Clapping Music" as performed by Lee Marvin and (mostly) Angie Dickinson: http://youtu.be/BY4bL_bO8sA via @pheezy #
- Jon Bentley's Programming Pearls remix: abridged to one sentence from each of its 15 chapters http://j.mp/ghel1P by YubNub's @JonathanAquino #
- Is there a Firefox extension that will give me a mild but noticeable electric shock when I have more than 20 tabs open at once? #
- "@melchoir: Tyondai Braxton is gone right? idk if they'll sound as good" Likely won't. If it's just snarky mathrock I'll bail. [Re: Battles] #
- I need to remind myself that in most cases @[whoever] isn't tweeting too much; to the contrary, I may be reading too closely. #
- Battles: "new music coming soon." That's enough good news to get me through a hectic day: http://j.mp/eLJGZB #
- Alternate memorial page for slain Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony (1978-2011), with photos from Cairo protests: http://j.mp/h9xpx9 #
- NB to self: Don't install Ubuntu Netbook Edition while on deadline. Don't install Ubuntu Netbook Edition while on deadline. Don't install… #
- Maybe "John Barry" isn't really a specific composer, but merely a code name used by a long line of British secret-agent/composers. #
- Morning sounds: ice popping in coffee, typing, baby glossolalia, birds, bus/cars, laptop drive/fan, my thumb against a few days' facial hair #
- "@1000DIGIKI: http://is.gd/AmSzj9 soundcities" Thanks. I'll get to this sooner than to Tokyo. No sounds in my hood … yet. #
- Fbook page for Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony who died during uprising: 1,059 followers, up from barely 100 12 hours ago http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #
- Every time I see James Blake, I think I'm looking at an early Steve Winwood. #
- "@johniwhitaker: That table is more of a Cy Twombly, no?" [Nice one. I agree.] Re: "unintentional Basquiat": http://ow.ly/i/7OGq #
- Image As Artifact of Sound: Spent fireworks outside restaurant Ton Kiang in San Francisco: http://ow.ly/i/7OGI #gunghayfatchoy #
- Unintentional Rauschenberg & Ryman are easy to come by. An unintentional Basquiat is special. Photo of discarded table: http://ow.ly/i/7OGq #
- Jurassic Park slodown: .5 mil listens in 20 days. When will unofficial song of summer be cloud-hosted phenom rather than commercial single? #
- ► If you slow down Grieg you get Ligeti: http://j.mp/dMMbro #
- Yesterday was my kid's 1st library story-time event. One song involved imitating a clock. Definite overtones of Singularity indoctrination. #
- A second video of late Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony, performing with Abou Asala and drummer http://vimeo.com/18570535 #
- Memorial Facebook page for Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony, who died #Jan25 during uprising: http://j.mp/f3oOz2 Video, music, photos. #
- Anyone have a copy handy of Oji Suzuki's A Single Match, published by @dandq — I'm trying to recall who translated it into English. #
- ► Audio of a mass of various vending-machine field-recording samples sewn together artfully by @bulldozia http://t.co/Y9o7pYb #
- Photo of unintentional Jeff Koons balloon-toy protest: http://ow.ly/i/7MFg #
- Just posted this in time for the noon bells, in memory of the late Ahmed Basiony: http://j.mp/fNhlMo Thanks, @stasisfield #
- I have a seven-month lead time for an article I'm working on. Maybe there is something good to be said of traditional book publishing. #
- RIP, Brian Rust (b. 1922), "Father of Modern Discography" (I'd like to know more about pre-modern discography.) http://j.mp/gaNAts #
- Following the White Stripes' announced disbandment, all 35,000 of Girl Talk's samples have decided to separate due to creative differences. #
- Seems odd the bold new Murdoch iPad newspaper is called The Daily. Weren't old newspapers daily? Aren't new ones Hourly? Minutely? Secondly? #
- RIP, Egyptian electronic musician Ahmed Basiony (b. 1978). Reportedly died 1/25 "tear gas asphyxiation" via @stasisfield http://j.mp/hUO29W #
- The later the hour, the less peaceful your neighbor's wind chimes. #
- Even if John Barry hadn't just died, the Bond guitar in The Mechanic would have been inappropriate. #
- "He seems to be listening carefully to the sound of a faraway power line." Oji Suzuki's A Single Match #
- Singers sharing guitar at happy-hour cafe gig must contend with a single bum string: mystery ingredient in an Iron Chef of Music episode. #
- Hookahs and hummus are gonna magically appear in this cafe if one more person starts reading about Egypt on a laptop. #
- I used to always read a fiction and non-fiction book simultaneously. Now it's a physical book and an ebook. #
- The 22nd + Bartlett siren in SF is indeed followed by Spanish (& English) alert. And if you're standing below, it's way loud. #
- Today: hunting for elusive Spanish-language Tuesday-noon siren/alert in San Francisco. Destination: 22nd and Bartlett. #
- Wobbly, Chris Cutler, Mark Fell among 2/2011 curators at http://ubu.com/ & Anna Ramos chose Paul De Marinis' "Eenie Meenie Chillie Beenie" #
- The fog horns are especially Barry White this morning. #
- Morning sounds: baby glossolalia, fog horns, hard drive/fan. #
- Anyone know what percentage of "tablets are killing laptops" stories were written on tablets? #
- Every time you report a spambot to Twitter, an angel gets its wings. #
- hyperbolic paraboloid:cluster::Iannis Xenakis:Cecil Taylor #
- Someone should leave voicemail every day for architect of Richmond District library redesign playing recording of 9th Ave door slamming. #
- Saw a flyer for a Sebadoh concert. Did actual double take and then checked my watch for the year. #
- ► Browser-based "NYC MTA as composition" listening: http://www.mta.me/ Info: http://j.mp/ia7ZA9 #algorhythmic via @creativeapps #
- RIP, composer John Barry (b. 1933). "James Bond" may indeed be a codename assigned to British spies, but there will only be one John Barry. #
- It'd be interesting to look at newspapers that ran obituary for great Milton Babbitt and see when previous time was they ran article on him. #
- "William Gibson wrote Neuromancer on typewriter" story gets upgrade as he seeks toner cartridge for wife's PhD thesis tonight via Twitter. #
- Someday in the future, time will be compressed such that Bud Fisher & R. Crumb will be referred to as "you know, San Francisco cartoonists." #
- On this week's concert schedule: taking junior to "Baby Rhyme and Playtime" at the local library. #
- 6:00pm bells seem loud. Can only imagine what my ears would feel like were I standing directly below. I'm blocks away, the windows closed. #
- "@fibratus: The sound of big ben is perhaps one of the most doom laden E's of all time" #eartwit #
- ► Jazz-based beatcraft instrumentals off 'Coffee House Swinger' by Boho Fau & Elevated Soul are simple but rich: http://j.mp/agF9DS #
- ► Straight Outta Cairo: Ahmed Basiony live Egyptian drone video from 2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmRB_MpRcJ0 (thanks, @stasisfield) #
- DJ Premier on DJ Kool Herc's poor health situation http://bit.ly/i8svAq via @HipHopDX @primusluta #
- The http://bandcamp.com/tags page almost seems to say, "You probably don't want to use me to navigate this site." #
- "Give iPad this Valentine's Day." So your loved one will realize how shortsighted you are when the new one comes out shortly thereafter. #
- Morning sounds: fridge, TiVo drive, baby la-la singing to self (is "kindersprechgesang" a word?), whoosh of car wheels against wet street. #
- RIP, composer (electronic & otherwise) Milton Babbitt (b. 1916) http://j.mp/hBIP7r via @nicomuhly @rddy @sequenza21 #
- Two versions of Mark Isham's The Mechanic score in iTunes: 29-track: http://j.mp/gRpw7G 6-track: http://j.mp/f2muuK Each costs $9.99. Huh? #
- All the reviews I've read of The Mechanic seem to suggest that the reviewers wish that Gregg Araki had directed it. #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound." • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice