- Evidence of social media's value as self-selecting filter: few people in my social networks cared it was "Social Media Week." #
- .@taylordeupree @mapmap Here's a request for at least one @soundcloud taste while you're still in the studio. #
- At the library, a guy reeking of pot just took out five books on garden pest control. Let's all wish him luck. #
- It's just possible this Creative Commons T-shirt won't help dispel the idea CC-licensed art isn't ready for prime time: http://j.mp/hPNaiN #
- It's funny to look at the Facebook pages of netlabels and see which ones are and aren't "in a relationship." #
- Dear @goodreads if someone hasn't reviewed a book, why do you persist in including a "see review" link next their name in a search result? #
- We're discussing what videogame music is "worthy" of Grammy's attention. Not that Bieber & Maroon 5 set the bar high http://j.mp/e0jU8G #imr #
- Wondering how well cellphone word-prediction is preparing us for sentence-, paragraph-, and book-prediction. #
- If you do Facebook, there's a http://www.facebook.com/disquiet.fb page for that. #ambient #phonography #soundart #remix #noise #silence #
- Mubarek didn't understand that, traditionally, positive political news gets announced early in the week, not on Fridays. #
- RIP, Symbian. Are e-ecosystems (like "natural" ones) inherently diminished whenever a species goes extinct? #
- J Dilla died five years ago today. #
- I miss Fällt. #
- RT @vuzhmusic Feb. Art Forum has Hua Hsu on Tellus, Alan Licht on Robert Wyatt, + Christian Marclay. Is ArtForum becoming @thewiremagazine? #
- 2/22 is the birthday of the man who gave hertz their name (Heinrich Hertz). Call for celebratory sound art here: http://j.mp/ezl2Ag Due 2/15 #
- First, the book review with a seven-month lead time. Now the record review with a four-month lead. I love the old world. #
- ► Cicada singing at 1/8 speed, a glowering chorus of insectoid dread: http://t.co/2SUhgYL Via @timprebble #
- It's oddly unnerving when the L.A. Times beats the New York Times via email to announce something like Mubarak's non-resignation. #
- [Bingo.] RT @Entroporium: Didn't this used to be named Remain In Light? RT @disquiet: Eno co-producer on new album from Seun Anikulapo Kuti #
- Hey, @carlstone and Robert Henke share a birthday: today. #
- Urban foodies stand in line the way American classical-music audiences applaud. #
- Brian Eno credited as co-producer new afrobeat album from Fela's son, Seun Anikulapo Kuti (Knitting Factory, June 21). #
- After my tirade y'day on Homans' absurd Black Swan critique http://j.mp/fVnGw9, Macauly groks Clint Mansell's effort: http://nyti.ms/g1zPyF #
- Mid-morning sounds: sleeping baby's breath, desktop drive/fan, fridge, occasional email-arrival beep; no traffic, no birds. #
- "@EdieBushwick: You may also look into 'Conversation' and 'Parallax View' (1974)" [Two of my favorites, especially Murch's Conversation.] #
- The Mechanic (1972), The Limits of Control (2009), The American (2010), The Mechanic (2011). Thinking about mercenary silence. #
- Netlabels come and go, just like regular record labels. Counterintuitively, they leave a more self-evident trail: the un-updated webpage. #
- .@primusluta Oh, totally — the Grammy award that supposedly includes television music rarely ever nominates television music. #
- LACMA's free online art catalogs include great 'Report on Art and Technology Program (1967–1971)' http://j.mp/h0DtMD Thanks, @tylergreendc #
- Pondering the absurdity of the Grammys' extended delay to recognize video game music: http://j.mp/e0jU8G #imr #
- Gotta love a library Baby Rhyme Tyme event that involves the pre-song instruction "whatever works logistically." #
- It's a 2-meetup day. Tonight: @soundcloud (San Francisco), but first: Baby Rhyme Time at the library with my 5-month-old. #
- I'll be interviewing sound artist Zimoun in coming week or so. If you have any questions about his work, @/DM/email me. http://t.co/5VkwBtQ #
- I really need to visit New York between May 20 and June 11: http://j.mp/dOvKWT (Ryoji Ikeda solo exhibit.) #
- ► Church-choir super-slo-mo remix, just beautiful: http://j.mp/fG3CPa #glacial #
- My thoughts on the Grammys' comic indifference to video-game music goes live tonight here: http://j.mp/7aph Part of 5-day media-yap #
- A press release about a ringtone doesn't deserve one exclamation point, let alone three. #
- "@timprebble: ahhhh the cicadas are singing – they are so happy to be alive" #eartwit #
- "Dubstep" has really become to much electronic music what "digital" was and "green" is to moving consumer goods. #
- ► Experiment in chord progressions by Saffron Slumber: http://t.co/820U68Q It's like listening to Erik Satie morph into Harold Budd. #
- Didn't think I'd read something that would make me want to defend Black Swan. Until this: http://j.mp/fVnGw9 #
- Per @sashagrey interview, wondering if tape splices are the new modular synths. It is a natural progression from current cassette revival. #
- Facebook page for Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony, slain during January uprising, now 70 followers shy of 6,000 http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #
- New from @evernote: "Edit styled notes from your Android device." This will have me revisiting it. #
- Gotta love invitations to (non-fundraiser) cultural events that include the words "cordially invited" followed by price of admittance. #
- Sasha Grey has a noise band http://j.mp/ec2dlF Another branch in the tree of Soderbergh-related sound. via @xlr8r #
- Finally got to the Zimoun exhibit @GAFFTA. If you're in San Francisco, you need to see this DC-motor-powered set of installations. #
- BBC picks up Ahmed Basiony's (alt: Bassiouni) death during Egypt uprising: http://j.mp/dMWctL musician, artist, teacher, husband, dad of two #
- Morning sounds: heater, shower, cars, bus, typing, laptop drive/fan, TiVo drive/fan. #
- To the 2 people who care, I've adjusted to virtual keyboard. But I returned the Nexus S, 'cause absence of notification light = ridiculous. #
- Excellent: the AP's Karin Laub picked up fate of late Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony, interviews his gallerist friend: http://j.mp/eZC0zc #
- I do wonder if the price of physical comics is a conspiracy intended to spur ereader purchases. #
- Lawrence Lessig's Creative Commons isn't a conspiracy to engender lots of free entertainment in order to sell more electronics. #
- Help @djrupture answer the question "What if the DJ were the NGO?" in Morocco: http://kck.st/edA7fp @kickstarter #
- Today's San Francisco noon-Tuesday siren recon mission: the Cantonese edition (25th Ave and Lincoln, in the Sunset). Accomplished. #
- RT @robsheff happy 100th birthday Elizabeth Bishop and thank you. "All the untidy activity continues, awful but cheerful." #
- ► Happy #dilladay — now go listen to @whyarcka "gettin' Dilla out my system." Side A: http://bit.ly/fxfIZ5 & Side B: http://bit.ly/e1FMF7 #
- RT @pheezy "Wesleyan U Press is busily preparing 50th anniversary hardcover edition of Cage's maverick Silence (1961)" http://bit.ly/eoEDaz #
- "@digiki: Curation is not selection. Curation is about making sense and drawing new connections between contents." [Sing it, brother.] #
- Facebook page for Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony, slain during uprising on Jan 28, now 9 followers shy of 5,000 http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #
- Learning to play Buddy Holly's "Well Alright" on a ukulele isn't a huge accomplishment, but it feels good. #
- Have I missed out on any IPv666 paranoid end-times chip-implant conspiracy-mongering? #
- Remember the Angie/Marvin Steve Reich mash-up? There's an app for that — or at least an electronic Takara Tomy toy: http://j.mp/hsuWRW #
- JJ Abrams Super 8: "Stand by ET" / "You guys wanna go see an alien?" #
- Just noticed that after all this Depeche Mode joking, I've never posted my DM interview on Disquiet.com. I'll get on that. #
- Ezra Pound: "The artist is the antenna of the race." … Gov. Nikki Haley: "Tear down this antenna." #
- How is playing a video game more antisocial than reading a book? Have I been reading books incorrectly? Should I be reading them out loud? #
- ► Straight Outta Cairo: http://100radiostation.com/ "Electronic music from Egypt, the Arab world and International …" #
- Of the past week's memorials to slain Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony, this is work I most want to know more re: http://j.mp/hUrhva #jan25 #
- Far enough in the future, as information blurs and smudges, people will think David Hume was a philosopher of free wifi. #
- I'm not very interested in writing about commerce but I recognize that my favorite way to buy music these days is via @kickstarter projects. #
- Bunch of us talking about pop music at In Media Res in run up to the Grammys http://j.mp/f5W0ng Hosted by @tedfriedman http://wp.me/pb7S3-8u #
- I saw another one just the other day / a special new netlabel: http://www.archive.org/details/mysterybear #
- There are a whole lot of sirens in the (San Francisco) Richmond District right now. It's like surround sound. #
- Re: last tweet: This http://j.mp/dEspzL seems to be this @lifehacker post http://j.mp/hydDwL (pizza-box phone stand) run thru synonym-izer. #
- There will be an internal Domino's Pizza memo cautioning franchises on depleting stock of plastic box inserts by giving 'em away sans pizza. #
- So, @votediego (aka @dbernalmusic), running for San Antonio City Council, has campaign event there on Feb 12. Question: Is he DJ'ing it? #
- Facebook page for Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony slain during uprising on Jan 28: now 75 followers shy of 4,000 http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #
- I've got a piece on systemic non-gamer cultural myopia regarding video games in a nifty online anthology this week. I'll link when it's up. #
- It's 72 degrees in the house. If I wanted this, I'd move to the Mission and pay more for my living quarters. #richmonddistrict #
- Dear Mr. Shakespeare, I'm really sorry you didn't live long enough to experience CTRL Y or CTRL Z. They're awesome. Love, Marc #
- Anyone know how to run multiple instances of ResophNotes (portable) on Windows 7? #
- "@banyek314: a madarak már minden zenét megcsináltak előttünk http://j.mp/emf1rZ" [Roughly: "the birds' music was there before us," I think] #
- Facebook page for slain Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony who died during uprising: now 31 followers shy of 3,000 http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #
- If you hear ping pong on public radio, it's likely a report on ex-cons. Or ping pong. Or Both. #
- The full-length album is arguably younger than the justices seated on U.S. Supreme Court, excepting Kagan (b.1960). #
- Highly recommend following @dizzybanjo & @geetadayal as they LT the MIT computer-music symposium, streaming here: http://j.mp/aPWSMR #
- Noon Bells (Skateboards and Old Carburetor Mix) #
- Reading on ukulele sites how certain types of wood are sexy slightly takes the gross out of how tech writers call cellphones sexy. Slightly. #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice