- The term "amauteur" is preferable to "prosumer." #
- "@brianpmoore: The leafblower is the banjo of Covington. #ctown quot; #eartwit (via @countrymarxist) #
- Morning sounds: heater, drizzle, hard drive/fan, fridge, distant car, cooing baby. #
- If you meet your hero in the record crates, kill him. #
- Facebook page of slain Egyptian electronic musician Ahmed Basiony who died during Jan uprising 188 followers shy of 8,000 http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #
- Berkeley's Comic Relief has closed. Truly the end of an era. I made so many friends & learned so much from that place. http://j.mp/gbg8Qo #
- Wondering if Nintendo's hardware and software divisions have learned anything from Sony's Walkman and music divisions. #
- Noon Bells (Rain Drops & Lullaby Mix) #
- Just conducted an extended interview with Zimoun. Hope to have it posted in the near future. #sound #insects #motors #installation #
- Considering the post-@warrenellis RTing/following, maybe someone out there can help me find the Jack Hawksmoor action figure I so want? #
- Apparently that last comment popped up on Twitter's home page between @khalidalkhalifa on Bahrain TV and @nickiminaj on herself #
- Pondering Alvin Lucier's "I Am Sitting in a Room" (1969) in our current era of re-tweeting. #
- Used to be Twitter went down and I'd wonder what snazzy new tech gadget had been leaked/announced. Now I wonder what country is on fire. #
- Lynch-ian has, for some time now, been the new Fellini-esque. #
- (To a tune by Reznor & Ross.) If you do the Facebook, there's a Disquiet.com page for that: http://www.facebook.com/disquiet.fb #
- Man, the bots are out like Brooklyn roaches. #
- Evening sounds: breathing of sleeping wife and child, low-flying plane, slow-moving vehicle, bubbles in bottle of club soda. #
- "@vuzhmusic: @disquiet When I see the term 'unsigned' it seems pre-paradigm-shift" [Indeed. Someday: retro. For now: outmoded.] #
- RT @HurdAudio: Composers who should've written operas: Varese, Ives, Scelci, Nancarrow, Strayhorn #
- .@sublamp Self-signed? #
- .@mystified131 You are post-signed? Resigned? #
- Remain amazed the word "unsigned," in regard to bands and solo acts, still has much currency. #
- When stock photography looks like a Ryoji Ikeda installation: http://j.mp/fDYIbO #
- When guys say they want John Cusack to play them in the movie, they don't usually mean the Cusack of 2012. #hail #
- Morning sounds: hail. #
- Evening sounds: two laptops and TiVo in one room. It's Whirstock. #
- Lovely take on Satie's Gnossienne No. 1: http://j.mp/eGzxmp Rafael Anton Irisarri & Goldmund make good on its proto-ambient nature. $1 #
- .@jgrossnas Scary chart, but it should be titled "Death of the Record Industry," not "Death of the Music Industry." http://read.bi/g56efo #
- Sure, "lossless" is an attractive term when it comes to audio compression, but perhaps "lessloss" would be more accurate. #
- It's nice to see the Twitter spambots are working more during the week. Maybe they'll give themselves a deserved break on weekends. #
- Pondering difference between recorded music that is free and recorded music that costs $0. #
- Many thanks to Leela Corman — @LeelaOfNewYork — for drawing the Egyptian mizmar for my Twitter background. More info: http://j.mp/fzhLiu #
- Major thanks to Justin Orr for my current Twitter background image. Today's its last day. New monthly item will appear shortly. It's timely. #
- The more I play "All of Me" on my ukulele, the more I become convinced it has my favorite chord changes. #
- Morning sounds: kid practicing raspberries, cars making traction on rain-soaked pavement, kalimba-like thrum of neighbor's radio, #
- Hoping to make it to the winter concert at CCRMA this Thursday night. #
- Crazy windy outside. How windy? The way wind sounds in a movie when you're like, "The director really wants us to notice it's really windy." #
- Returned several pounds of comics to the library. By which I mean two Dash Shaw books. #
- Consistent cellphone rings have turned public sonic life into a Hans Zimmer soundtrack, even without the Inception app. #
- Tuesday noon siren, filtered through Spanish-language broadcast of soccer game. #secondhandsports #
- Finally managed to summarize, if briefly, what I love about my favorite track of 2010: http://ow.ly/3WPvf #viola #gadget #wall e #oubapo #
- Can't wait til Gladwell says, "Oh, Twitter! You mean Twitter? Oh totally. Yeah, I was talking about something else entirely. What a mix-up." #
- ► The virtual quotidian: Guy Birkin recreates the sonic experience of rain dripping on one's hat brim http://soundcloud.com/notl/rain-on-hat #
- Great Moments in TV Scores: In Chicago Code debut, composer Robert Duncan's name appears in credits as canned blues song appears on radio. #
- Steampunk = plugging laptop into cafe's ancient electrical outlet connected via Edison-era piping into murky hole in wall. #
- Morning sounds: cars on rainy street, neighbors bringing in garbage pails, baby spinning wooden toy, computer drive/fan, neighbor's radio. #
- More new cicada-based music, this time from Novi_sad on the Sub Rosa label: http://novi-sad.net/releases/inhumane-humans/ #
- Congrats Christopher Tin for winning the 1st Grammy for music for video game. That the song & game are 5 years old is for Grammy to explain #
- Afternoon Trio for Washer, Dryer, and Neighbor's Construction Work #
- RT @mapmap: The celling at the delta terminal looks like a monome. http://yfrog.com/h46o2idj #
- Excellent: @mapmap + @taylordeupree share a bit of their recent duo recording project: "3 minutes out of 60+ unedited." http://bit.ly/eo8hZt #
- ► Download Giorno Poetry discography; includes my fave Philip Glass track: http://j.mp/gyQU5B (+ WSB, PsychTV, Cage) via @gacougnol @ubuweb #
- Sound art, circa 1912-1914: the cardboard and sheet metal sculptures of guitars by Pablo Picasso: http://j.mp/gdkr6m #
- A superior organic-based generative music system: five-month-old playing with dangling chimes. #
- Was the WSJ's investment in The Daily simply an expensive ploy to supplant the New York Times in all those iPad ads? #
- Nice to see @nytimes cover live MPC playing: http://ow.ly/1s2s1B #
- The cicada is nature's vuvuzela. #
- Facebook page for Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony, slain during January uprising, now 190 followers shy of 7,000 http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #jan25 #
- Given the state of record sales these days it's almost as if all record labels are indie labels. Some just have significantly more overhead. #
- Sun's out. Birds seem appreciative, sound as if the one on the cover of the recent Oval album decided to front its own glitch project. #
- If you lost your Santa Monica, it landed in my Richmond District. #
- Great Intl Film Music Critics Assn list of 2010 music-for-moving-images: nods to Grönemeyer, games, TV http://bit.ly/eaP8xs via @nobuooo #
- Anyone in San Francisco have a positive experience with Virgin Mobile? #
- Don't think of it as a diary. Think of it as Tweets Not Sent. #
- Morning sounds: post-feeding baby gurgles, occasional car, netbook whir, typing. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Nuun: "Hi Mark, I’m truly honored and surprised by your review of my track! Thanks for your carefull listening..."
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
Monsterovich: "https://soundcloud.com/losttal entgroup Join us if you want normal groups back. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union. • 0243 / Synth Trial / The Assignment: Share the best track from your audition tape for Blade Runner 2.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice