- Morning sounds: hard drive/fan whirring, heater revving up, toilet tank refilling, fridge droning, baby cooing. #
- First blue screen (of death) I've witnessed on this machine, almost a year to the day since I bought it. (Noting for future reference.) #
- Android shoutout: PDANet (tether, SMS agent), Barnacle (wifi hotspot), OverDrive (ebook); widgets: Pure Calendar, Sticky Pad, Google Reader. #
- Upton Sinclair is the John Muir of industry. #protophonography #
- At the cafe, the flyer for the Textured Earring Workshop is tacked to the wall next to the flyer for the Digital Storytelling Workshop. #
- .@mapmap A pair of ebows for one of Blood Wedding people. One for one of Vertex guys. Vertex drummer's battery-power brush may count, too. #
- Wondering if tech firms do anything that's the engineering equivalent of wearing sexy underwear in expectancy of @ifixit teardowns. #
- Spoiler: As a paranoid fantasy of professional rivalry, Unknown is more entertaining than Black Swan. + Bruno Ganz :) – No Clint Mansell. :( #
- Odd @nytimes piece calls Rothko Chapel, Satie & Cage "quirky, discerning picks"; it's syndicated @texasmonthly content: http://j.mp/g1A6C3 #
- It was a three-ebow evening. #
- Tonight's agenda: Blood Wedding and the Norwegian duo Vertex at the Luggage Store. #
- Afternoon sounds: hard drives/fans (netbook, TiVo), sleeping six-month-old's breathing, distant dog, cars on wet street, typing. #
- Samsung Galaxy S 4G pairs w/ Bluetooth Think Outside keyboard (DroidX + NexusS didn't w/o BlueInput app). Now, if only USB keyboard worked. #
- Continuing my cellphone trial-period search: now using the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 4G (returned Droid X and, prior to that, the Nexus S). #
- San Francisco art PSA: @gaffta exhibit by Zimoun closes Saturday. It's a must-see/hear. Video example: http://vimeo.com/20283981 #
- I'm all for removing the taboo of calling San Francisco "Frisco," if only to make it more Twitter/SMS-friendly. #
- According to SpeedTest my current phone has better web connection (T-Mobile/Samsung: 5.32↓ 1.83↑) than does my home (AT&T DSL: 4.94↓ 0.63↑). #
- http://www.touchradio.org.uk/ has been quiet. March will bring "new TouchRadio by Hild Sofie Tafjord" + "TouchRadio news." Can't wait. #
- Yes, briefly misinterpreted the words "animal sound or movement" today as a lyric during Baby Rhyme Tyme at local library. #
- Wishing I could make the Christian Wolff lecture (tomorrow) and concert (Saturday) at Mills, but timing conflicts abound. #
- The guy behind Jaydiohead & Dub Kweli made a Clint Mansell–sampling rap EP based on sci-fi film Moon: http://www.seleneproject.com/ #
- Poet Toni Mirosevich will read from her The Takeaway Bin, inspired by Eno/Schmidt Oblique Strategies, @SFPLNews (Main Branch) March 2, 6pm. #
- Evening sounds: dryer, dishwasher, cars. #
- Borrowed a book (an ebook) from the library on my phone while on the bus and started reading it. #
- Noon siren on a clear day, followed by its standard announcement, so muffled that were there an emergency it would serve no purpose at all. #
- Remembering living in France (summer '86) when Libya was major threat. Was a human conversation piece, there were so few Americans in Paris. #
- Netbook days are so much more peaceful than desktop days. #
- Open-source classical: crowd-managed scores. Service named for Petrucci, who 1st used movable type to print sheet music: http://j.mp/f21obs #
- Bringing the Outdoors In: performing John Luther Adams' nature-infused "Inuksuit" http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/arts/music/22luther.html #
- Kenneth Kirschner redesigned http://www.kennethkirschner.com/ and the indeterminate pieces (halfway down page) are particularly recommended. #
- Facebook page of slain Egyptian electronic musician Ahmed Basiony who died during Jan uprising 172 followers shy of 9,000 http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #
- "[Playing ']Waterloo Sunset[' to my (nearly) six-month-old on a ukulele], I am in paradise." #
- If I'm not mistaken, the New York Times runs Phillip Alder's bridge coverage just as often as it runs Seth Schiesel's video game coverage. #
- Apple patent uses acoustic transducers as gestural interface. http://j.mp/ibyKPj Is that what Keith Jarrett's been up to all these years? #
- Much microsound music is what the Saw movies might have sounded like had Samuel Beckett conceived them. #
- Evening sounds: dishwasher, drip coffee, footsteps, hard drive/fan. #
- ► J Lesser records a San Diego winter storm, all drizzle, wind chimes, and vehicular droning: http://soundcloud.com/lesser/stereo-rain #
- Outside it's like if Blade Runner had been set in East Germany instead of Los Angeles. #
- Sometimes I wonder if Groupon and Kickstarter are the same service with different skins. #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0278 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures. • 0277 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound."
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice