- "knife that slices through any ambient noise on a block in a particularly clamorous part of the city" http://nyti.ms/fCwfTI on cab whistles #
- Does all work and no sound make Jack a dull typist? #
- Facebook page of Egyptian electronic musician Ahmed Basiony, slain during Jan uprising, 309 followers shy of 10,000 http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #
- .@tobiasreber @ilkae All interesting takes. I do think that embouchure ultimately is about the intimacy of the man-machine interface. #
- RIP, Tommy Bermejo, founder of our neighborhood restaurant Tommy's, founded in 1965. He's from Oxkutzcab, Yucatan. And he knew his tequila. #
- "No results found for 'Skinner Beatbox'" #
- What is the digital equivalent of embouchure? #
- Glad to hear @kickstarter Morocco project of @jfpetersphoto @MagaBo @Tal1es1n & @DJRupture met goal. I was the first backer, back on 2/7. #
- The foghorns have returned with wild tales of their adventures. #
- Photos of the terracotta army of the @InternetArchive http://j.mp/gRkOZv #richmonddistrict #
- Buy a Susan Philipsz book via Tesco's estore, she having done sound art piece ("Filter") in actual Tesco in 2004 http://j.mp/hY2HAx #meta #
- "Bix to Buxtehude to Boulez / The little white dog on the Victor label / Listens long and hard as he is able" James Merrill, via @robsheff #
- Morning sounds: drone of neighbor's vacuum cleaner is creating sonic moiré patterns with drone of nearby construction work. #
- My dev interview on @thicketapp got adapted for @csindependent, local newspaper of half its creative team, @morganpackard http://j.mp/g24ruG #
- Mongoliad.com: "All … subscriptions (except Lifetime Patron, unless you are reincarnated) renew automatically after the indicated period." #
- Thinking about the homebrew singularity at the core of Daniel Suarez's novel Daemon: http://j.mp/eZquRJ #mmorpg #games #augmented @goodreads #
- When people speak of The Conversation, The Parallax View & Three Days of the Condor they should also speak of Colossus: The Forbin Project. #
- Just got my first campaign call in San Francisco mayor election. Q: "Do you know whom you'll support?" A: "Yes, whoever calls me the least." #
- Meet Xiang Zhang, Berkeley scientist developing plasmon lasers inspired by the echo effect of whispering galleries: http://j.mp/ezmvZW #
- My buddy Eric dedicates himself to covering superhero (non-graphic) novels. Follow @superheronovels #comics #manga #capeswithoutpictures #
- More than a new tablet, I just need someone to show me how to hack a better speaker into my Toshiba netbook. #
- .@primusluta Yeah, I'm not opposed to autotune by any means, but some implementations do inspire in me a kind of road rage. #
- This Ukulele Kills Right Notes. #
- Apparently the WrongNotes.com URL is available via some GoDaddy service. Maybe someone will make use of it. #bent #blue #ipad2 #
- "@cinchel: I like to contrast that w/ a Lee Ranaldo quote: 'There are no wrong notes, only new ones'" [Yeah, and second time, it's a theme.] #
- Pondering iPad 2 purchase. Celebrating end of Apple event by playing "Imagination" (Van Heusen/Burke) on my uke with plenty of bad notes. #
- This, though, is inspiring: "It's in Apple's DNA that technology is not enough. It's tech married with the liberal arts and the humanities." #
- Mid-morning sounds: rough wind, cars on wet street, the light click of the liveblog of Apple event at @arstechnica #
- And this, from Jobs: "Anyone can make music now." Wondering in contrast with "when." #
- .@GlennF Yeah, having flashback to MIDI demo I witnessed at Vegas tech event in early 1990s: guy at piano extolling end of bad notes. #
- Pondering this phrase from iPad 2 demo of Garage Band: "They make it so you can't play a bad note." #
- Finishing last 50 pages of Daniel Suarez's novel Daemon while keeping eye on @engadget Apple event liveblog. There must be a connection. #
- RIP, Mark Ryan (b. 1959), former guitarist (as the Kid) for Adam and the Ants, later successful playwright (Dr Jekyll) http://j.mp/eIgTU2 #
- Recuperating from flu. Hit the family hard. Fortunately, the six-month-old recuperates quickly. Get me via email if you need to nudge me. #
- Next month marks 12th Disquiet.com "Sketches of Sound" entry. Also lined up: excellent July 4 piece. If you want to participate, lemme know. #
- Tuesday noon siren: so peculiar on a bright, almost blindingly sunny day. #
- Can someone explain the new cover to DeLillo's White Noise? http://j.mp/gsoDg6 Are headphones mentioned in the novel? What's with the cross? #
- Mid-morning sounds: as intense family-wide flu slowly comes to a close, reportage of household sounds will become more publicly palatable. #
- These OS X Lion screenshots have me wondering if Apple may also be getting past its no-widgets mode on iOS. #
- RIP, Nobutoshi Kihara (b. 1926), developer of "Japan’s first tape recorder and transistor radio" and the Betamax http://is.gd/lhU1wg #
- As an experiment, I kept track of how many music PR emails I got in one week: 267. Not a meaningful statistical sample, but still. #
- I think I need a capo for my ukulele. The older sheet music in the library is A D F# B (not G C E A). #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice