- So, @rcrdlbl now requires registration to access free downloads. Perfectly valid, but giving away personal information doesn't equal "free." #
- If you want a sonically conscious (and poppy, in the Hollywood sense, not the musical sense) thriller, you could do worse than Hanna. #
- Very excited about the "DIY Musical Instrument Tailgate Party with special guest Trimpin" this weekend at CCRMA/Stanford. #
- Read several fairly prominent reviews of Hanna that don't even mention the Chemical Brothers score. Perhaps that's to the band's credit? #
- Glistening, lightly percussive ambient track built from ukulele (and mandolin)? Yes, thank you: http://t.co/ULqAAwS by Seth Chrisman #
- Misread the Hanna advertisement as "Adopt or die." #
- RT @falsereactions @communikey Radere featured in this special article from Marc Weidenbaum http://fb.me/WGC4Uyei @csindependent @billforman #
- RIP, lounge composer and pianist Johnny Pearson (b. 1925): http://j.mp/hgdpv5 #
- My neighborhood, but not my car or my handwriting: http://ow.ly/i/a2Az #
- Wondering if the dropped Grammy categories will open up room for gaming and/or interactive award: http://reut.rs/gWBFiC #
- Vicarious commute. RT @pheezy The only way to fly. RT @shoister commuting on a bus listening to field recording of commuting on a train #
- After a week away, welcomed back to home by its familiar sounds: fridge, Tivo drive, heater, passing cars … #
- New SSD tucked inside ukulele case for drive home. #
- The Fry's in Sacramento is on a street named Tandy. #
- Waking on the outskirts of Sacramento to the sounds of a passing train. #
- Spent evening with friend whose adorable young kid was born in LA. Memorable kid comment: "I don't like helicopters." #
- I5 and 4G don't mutually compute. #datadustbowl #
- Tweeting about Tokyo art exhibits while deep in the Nevada desert. #
- Relieved to receive email announcements about new Tokyo art exhibits, even if some are presumably automated in advance. #
- Hotel symphony: HVAC, fans, vacuum cleaners, muffled televisions, passing airplane. #
- The hotel phone has a clearly marked "dataport." #
- Semisonic's "Closing Time" playing at 24-hour McDonald's. #
- Talking Heads' "Naive Melody" playing in massive underground parking structure. #
- Mistakenly thought Assouline's Music Game Book was about music games. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
needles: "Noll’s compositions and performances under all of his names are other-level. "
Carolyn Jackson: "It’s not your imagination. The outfit was Laurie Spiegel inspired! "
Neil: "Great, interesting piece. Marc, have you thought about making the concept of ‘Bracket Sound’ a..."
Tom: "This is heavenly "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet. • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi. • 0267 / The Metronomic Society / Create a theme song for a fictional organization. • 0266 / Vocal Cuts / Use segments of your own held vowel to make music. • 0265 / Kitchen Music / Record a piece of music that uses items from just one drawer.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice