- Amazing how many outlets covered the (now disproved) Samsung-laptop-keylogger story & how many failed to update their initial posts. #
- Especially conscious of birdsong this morning, likely because @maxwillens reminded me of Jeroen Diepenmaat's taxidermy turntables. #
- These noise-cancelling earbuds are strong. But Rufus Wainwright's nasal whine is stronger. #
- If you're writing-fluent in Russian, Chinese, Japanese, or Spanish & want to help on free-music-culture project, please get in touch. #
- A stage in letterpress project I mentioned yesterday morning: RT @boondesign Polymer plates by Rocket http://instagr.am/p/DL-2G/ #
- Today's best sound: Senior citizen taking hammer to hard drive on sidewalk in front of home. #
- If I get all this done today, I will celebrate by buying The Pale King. If I don't, I will console myself by buying The Pale King. #
- .@maxwillens Fetish & nostalgia do drive vinyl sales, certainly. That I can't celebrate. Sound quality, art — that I can celebrate. #
- I really like the idea of Record Store Day but it feels much more like Fetish Object Day than Music Day. #
- Record Store Day's neat. But commercial music also needs Day When Publicists Send Emails to Interested Parties Not Entire Rolodex. #
- He speaks the truth. RT @compactrobot 75% of RSD is repackaged existing music and/or classic rock. like waiting in line to pay for promos. #
- Guy with MacBook Air just bummed cigarette from guy with Asus netbook. #
- Want to see Atlas Shrugged, but think I'm going to wait to borrow the DVD from the public library. #
- Wanted to see Atlas Shrugged matinee, but someone bought out the whole theater so as to avoid watching it with us hoi polloi. #
- RIP, Tokyopop, a great competitor during my 5 Shonen Jump years. Confused you're closing within month of Priest movie, but so be it. #
- Fave CDs of week: @markisham Conspirators score w/ @zoecello, @underworldlive Frankenstein score, @seth_cluett Objects in Stillness #
- Only way to explain dude near me in cafe is that his therapist instructed him to sit in a public place for half an hour. Breathe easy, dude. #
- And has for 13 years. Thank you, @MetropolisMag. RT @mmaddencomics How many fans realize @benkatchor publishes new comics every month? #
- When I read a movie review that doesn't mention the score, my impression is that the reviewer really wasn't paying attention. #
- Progress! RT @distrec Added an RSS feed to the new site. Reminded to by the @disquiet netlabel checklist http://tinyurl.com/6zzvgvq #
- Protest for artist Ai Weiwei Sunday, April 17, 1pm local time at the Chinese consulate/embassy near you #1001ChairsForAiWeiwei #
- Next tweet courtesy of @vuzhmusic … #
- RIP, Dot founder Randy Wood (b. 1917), who told Lawrence Welk to “record music that is more for listening than dancing.” http://goo.gl/JMnCO #
- Biting off UI to spite UX: Seriously, @nytimes? I must log in before using Twitter button to inform people about an article? #
- Received new @MetropolisMag. Saw no Ben Katchor strip. Felt heart sink. Turned back page. Saw Katchor spread. Experienced relief. #
- "Commercial culture does more to harm open culture than the other way around." @dpnem on the #netlabel checklist: http://ow.ly/4xLOt #
- Morning sounds (in sequence): refrigerator hum, bus (west), typing, car (west), refrigeration turning off, car (east), helicopter (north). #
- Among today's album packages, one labeled "No Commercial Value." #irony #recordindustry #musicindustry #factsoflife #selfaware #
- Allow me to be the 100+th person to share this: underwater microphone captures March 11, 2011, Honshu, Japan, earthquake http://t.co/ZnRtBKH #
- Heading out for library-bound walk with my seven-month-old. Which continent/country should we dine from? #richmondistrict #
- Netlabel checklist discussion: podcasts, (blatant) self-promotion, ID tags, streaming v. downloading: http://ow.ly/4xLOt Please join in. #
- If you do the Facebook, there's a Disquiet.com page for that: http://www.facebook.com/disquiet.fb #
- And somewhere across town someone is letterpress-ing something I wrote. Nifty. #
- My favorite szechuan (southwest China) restaurant is now a dongbei (northeast) restaurant. Tonight I'll find out if that's good news. #
- There's a certain pleasure to writing an extended sequence of nothing but full declarative sentences. #
- Attended a concert with actual singing. Singing: voice to mic to amp to ear. A little guitar, drums, shaker. A keyboard helped me adjust. #
- RT @vuzhmusic Thought I was hearing cicadas today at school; turned out to be oscillating sound coming from truck engine that needs repair. #
- Reading about pendulums. #
- Google Street View of Saul Bass' downtown Sacramento sculpture designed for the Fuller Paint Company: http://goo.gl/voabO #
- Reminder: Boulder's Communikey Fest starts today: Monolake, '60s Polish soundcards, Laura Goldhamer's speaker drum, etc. http://goo.gl/8AwyG #
- Spent many hours/dollars in that store. RT @pheezy RIP, Peter Howard http://bit.ly/dOv9HW (of Serendipity Books in Berkeley) #
- RIP, Charles Laufer (b. 1923), founder of Tiger Beat, http://nyti.ms/e1kN6T #
- Trying to wean myself off yubnub.org (the “command line for the web”). Again. #
- Narrative is an even more powerful force than genre, as any good DJ will tell you. #
- Helicopter hovering over the rainy Richmond District. Cougar or rabid dog? #
- Grammy formally acknowledges video-game music http://goo.gl/6ZenN — something we discussed just before this year's: http://goo.gl/5KGD0 #
- RT @quietdesign have lived in austin my whole life… have had some surreal cicada listening experiences. 30,000 channel nature installation #
- Austin's anthem. RT @kitty_d cicadas are out tonite. love that sound. @eartwit #
- Very pleased with discussion going on in response to my proposed checklist of how netlabels best function http://ow.ly/4xLOt Please join in. #
- Second only to fog horns, the sheer density/variety of languages/accents in my neighborhood thrills me almost daily. #richmonddistrict #
- It'd be cool if we could listen to other people's @soudcloud dashboard/incoming tracks, hear what their sequence of followings is. #
- I like to think that the "free" in "free jazz" is a verb as well as an adjective. #
- RIP, free jazz violinist Billy Bang (b. William Walker, 1947), via @daveseidel #
- Thanks, @davidvermillion — thought the @simplenoteapp sync issue was on my end. Some sort of error eating any new notes (Win7, Resoph). #
- Prepping to observe a Tues siren test in San Francisco. I think it's Cantonese. Japan's quake make ours seem less remote, more preparatory. #
- Ken Burns on the "acoustic shadows" of the Civil War http://goo.gl/Cfm0q (with a tremendous editorial illustration by Henrik Drescher) #
- On The Chicago Code, Jennifer Beals looks like Steve Dillon drew her circa Preacher. #
- RT @digiki I was stepping in shower this morning when I heard earthquake warning from school next door; it has a kind of Vangelis texture #
- New netbook means new hard drive and fan. New hard drive and fan means new sounds added to daily life. #
- RT (from Tokyo) @digiki If the situation continues, I'm sure we could ask Cornelius to compose a melody for those alerts #
- RT (from Tokyo) @digiki I would be less stressed if I could change sound of earthquake warnings to "fasten your seat belts" in-flight sound #
- RIP, composer Daniel Catán (b. 1949), whose Il Postino just opened at the LA Opera, and who scored Bruce Wagner's film I'm Losing You. #
- RIP, minimalist sculptor John McCracken (b. 1934): http://goo.gl/BVCJn #
- RIP, Steely Dan engineer Roger Nichols (b. 1944) http://goo.gl/kJCPK #aja #thenightfly #
- Master class. RT @pheezy: Trimpin gave @disquiet and I a demonstration of his spinning speakers http://flic.kr/p/9xDYeA #
- Now that Panda Country morphed into a less Szechuan place, is there a better tan tan noodle than the one at Spices on Clement? #sanfrancisco #
- Is there a good cafe in the Richmond District open after 10pm? #sanfrancisco #
- The pinnning of tabs in Chrome & Firefox 4 would be more enticing if it didn't seem to preclude appearance of tab-specific notifications. #
- An excellent, ear-opening day at the CCRMA/Stanford diy-instrument fest. Thanks to @pheezy for the company. #
- Tom Duff's tabletop banjo http://ow.ly/i/ad0J from today's CCRMA/Stanford diy instrument event today #
- Charles Gadeken's gargantuan, Tesla-tastic "Aperion": http://ow.ly/i/acY3 Live from CCRMA diy instrument fest #
- Headed to CCRMA/Stanford for "DIY musical instruments" event http://goo.gl/uWKra feat. Trimpin, Leonard, Duff, Thingamajigs, more #
- Back from Amoeba. Some ancient instrumental hip-hop vinyl (Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, the Roots), and a new WSB-ish John Zorn CD. #
- Banh mi shop chamber music: cash register, kitchen bell, chatter, dining ware, archaic refrigerator, shoes on faux-marble tile. #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice