- Finally seeing Source Code. #
- Ah, yeah. Exactly. Thanks RT @cinchel i usually use RIYL (recommended if you like) #
- Is there a more readily recognizable acronym than "LIYL" for something like "listen if you like" (for music recommendations by comparison)? #
- Continuously mistaking overprotected iPhone 4s for Nintendo DSs #newkindasidetalkin #
- The pile drivers are just enough blocks away to be pleasant. #
- A harp is a mass-produced prepared piano, right? #
- My ongoing Luciano Berio research (copyleft, proto-sampling) should bubble up as something published in the next week. #
- I listen to most netlabel releases I appreciate all the way through, often several times. It's no coincidence the 1st track's often the best #
- Early evening sounds: thunder-like wind, motorcycles, cars, bus, the scraping of a child against a floor that is newly accessible by crawl. #
- Thanks, @The_Jenius // @emh2625 I'm looking for a (former?) drummer/designer/painter from NYC named David Taub, in his mid-50s. #
- Worth a try: If anyone knows a (former?) New York drummer/designer/painter named David Taub, probably in his mid-50s, please lemme know. #
- Strong wind echoes in the fireplace like thunder. #
- RIP, Hubert Schlafly (b. 1919), developer (with actor Fred Barton Jr. & Irving Berlin's nephew) of the teleprompter http://nyti.ms/kHNnVh #
- Would that make Paul Auster Don DeLillo's Burt Reynolds? RT @saraivry I frequently confuse Don DeLillo and Dom DeLuise #
- There's like a war for my calendar between Mills and CCRMA/Stanford. #
- Surfer found dead at Ocean Beach, via @ob_kc ("Helmets are so not cool until you need one") @richmondsfblog #outerrichmond #415 #
- Coming up for air from deep in the Berio. #
- Video games are to generative art what churches were to classical music. #
- Giant wood xylophone in this Japanese ad is insane: http://t.co/tx1vm9d Video's untrammeled nature sound makes it serene beyond description. #
- Next tweet via @superheronovels — which has nil to do with ambient sound except it's a good thing to read while listening. Thanks, Eric! #
- If Twitter persists, I foresee myself doing away with "nothing" for "nil," "favorite" maybe for "fave," "San Francisco" maybe for "Frisco." #
- Maybe "Are video games art?" is the lesser question. Maybe the more pressing question is "Are video games sport?" #
- Neither free download from @rcrdlbl today is a remix. #
- Someday I will walk by a tombstone that will read, simply, "Commented on his/her own photo." #facebook #
- Wonderful footage from Portal 2 of turrets singing in harmony: http://www.thealistdaily.com/news/portal-2-turret-song/ via @alistdaily #
- Got thank-you in mail for financial support of @votediego @diegobernalmusic candidacy for City Council in San Antonio. DJs for president! #
- Faulivia definitely sounded momentarily like William Bell in her attempt to jump universes in Fringe. #cantbelieveijusttypedthatsentence #
- Guy in cafe whose laptop plays synth version of Psycho cue for each new IM doesn't have a clue of idea it puts in heads of those around him. #
- Equal number of Macs and PCs in this cafe, at least judging by laptop logos. Time for a game of Battleship, I think. #
- Tuesday noon siren, filtered through laundry-machine shuddering and email-arrival beeping. #
- And isn't this exactly what the alien invaders would want? RT @warrenellis SETI to shut down alien-seeking radio dishes http://bit.ly/e1waeX #
- Finished Osmond-Smith's Berio. Strong on mechanics, light on meaning. Nil on copyright, but we're hypersensitive today http://goo.gl/8bOoi #
- Steam appears to think I have played Chime for eight hours. I feel fairly confident this is not the case. #
- "What are you doing with her mittens?" "I thought they were socks." "They're mittens." "I put them on her feet when we went out yesterday." #
- Lone Wolf and Cub and Take-out. #
- “@sepulchra: nothing like a bell to get a dog barking” #eartwit #
- By today's copyright law, Berio's Sinfonia (1968-69) would have been in violation by interpolating Mahler's Symphony No. 2 (1895). #
- Afternoon sounds: birdsong (through closed window), desktop computer fan/drive (across room), sleeping baby's breathing (by my side). #
- Can't remember last time I actually kept my "desktop" computer on top of my desk. #
- RIP, programmer/writer Karen Kenworthy, whose Power Tools email newsletter was an early shareware bright spot. #
- … @JDKun put it better: "'copyright violation' has no single meaning and therefore should not be treated singularly" #
- I said: "'copyright violation' is a succinct term applied to a wide and disparate array of activity." … But … #
- Noon bells filtered through birds tweeting after the rain. (That's pre-Twitter tweeting on their part.) #
- Homemade Cel-Ray–style soda syrup even better day two. (And no artificial ingredients.) #
- .@JDKun The copyright filtering rankles, for sure. #soundcloud #
- .@JDKun And just to be clear, I don't think most websites, paid or not, are truly communities per se, just platforms for community. #
- Wondering when the first (non-business) video-game story/event will be "worthy" of a major newspaper's "breaking news" email treatment. #
- The gate's pretty loose. Please explain when you have a chance. @JDKun Soundcloud is a gated community, not a music community #
- Genres don't die. They just slow down and take root. #
- Likely that neighbors in two-block radius of our kitchen are aware I've made another batch of celery syrup for homestyle Cel-Ray soda. #
- Wondering what the overlap in the U.S. is for audiences of Doctor Who and the royal wedding. #
- Who public-edits the public editor? @xenijardin RT @felixsalmon: What on earth is "city itself on the bum" supposed to mean? nyti.ms/hAECbi #
- Noticing that both the Beastie Boys and Paul Simon quote themselves on their new albums. #
- a body picked at aggressively can give the impression of life #
- Were DeLillo, Lucier or @greatdismal hip-hop heads they might've imagined an entire CD played in Madison Sq Garden http://t.co/Fbnwz78 #
- RIP, Norio Ohga (b. 1930), opera singer who went on to be president of Sony & help develop CD http://t.co/F2g0kRZ @washingtonpost #
- RIP, composer Peter Lieberson (b. 1946), via @dfelsenfeld @cbcarey #
- Computer. Good point. RT @danielwalker_ Is fan for your hard drive or room. I feel the distinction must be made; I am a fellow sound-logger #
5 Most Recent Comments
Nuun: "Hi Mark, I’m truly honored and surprised by your review of my track! Thanks for your carefull listening..."
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
Monsterovich: "https://soundcloud.com/losttal entgroup Join us if you want normal groups back. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union. • 0243 / Synth Trial / The Assignment: Share the best track from your audition tape for Blade Runner 2.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice