- Just thinking: for moms who like comic books, this is a pretty cool weekend. #
- .@dpnem @vuzhmusic Been looking at HTML5 players that support "standard browsers" & iOS. Like http://html5audio.me/ per @mbytz #
- In regard to web hurting local record stores, I feel less guilty buying music on Kickstarter cause those albums don't exist yet #
- Corresponded with publicist who quickly accepted "No thank you" as reply: "thanks for listening! best I can ask for." Please clone her. #
- This morning's backdrop: vinyl surface noise and harmonium. #
- Regulation should require browsers to say what you don't see: iOS, Android, etc. Milan Kundera Unified Web Transparency Act. #
- Occasional reminder: if you do the Facebook, there's a Disquiet page for that: http://www.facebook.com/disquiet.fb #
- RT @osakimandias When the revolution comes, those who set prices on HDMI cables (aka 6' of plastic/copper) will be first up against the wall #
- Sing it. RT @whyarcka samples are where u never expect them to be #
- Very productive day. Time for Puerto Rican food. #
- Trenchant drones #
- If you live in #415 & are wondering when it's gonna rain, my guess is: a few days, soon as I'm done with these writing/editing/etc. projects #
- The reported promise of HTML5 reminds me of that old joke about how many Microsoft engineers it takes to change a lightbulb. #
- Kinda, right? @falsereactions Wait…really?! They're going to make us wait 3 full years, all while defanging Adobe platforms? Ridiculous. #
- HTML5 has a 2014 target — in time for the iPad 5, maybe iPad 6. #
- When will HTML5 be ready for prime time? My iPad 2 is asking. #
- Yeah, that's part of why I increasingly think of industrial music and "industrial industrial music." RT @disquiet Or "industrial music"… #
- Don't matter how up to date you are w/ commercial music. W/o knowing netlabels like test tube & Resting Bell, you don't know what's going on #
- It might be useful to stop calling it commercial music and start calling it commerce music. #
- .@mbytz Is there a reason most, if not all, HTML5 audio players don't show meta data (title, act) in the interface? http://bit.ly/iZCLJK #
- This is "molto interessante." Someone has translated my "netlabel checklist" into Italian: http://goo.gl/NqTc2 #copyleft #excellent #
- Luciano Berio was a crate digger. #
- iPad app I've used the most this week: Penultimate, jotting notes while reading (physical) book w/o stopping to pick up pen #
- Song cue ending last night's Good Wife was one of the great TV-drama music moments this year: tone-setting, game-changing @GoodWifeWriters #
- Buddha Machines on stun. #
- Just clicked on actual web ad, one of those squares appearing in margin of a web page, due to a book having a Bruce Sterling quote. #
- After feeding my 8-month-old avocado, I think I know what a happy baby Vulcan vampire would look like. #
- Morning sounds: bird song, breathing of sleeping baby, hard drive/fan, refrigerator hum. #
- Hoping that the late Osama Bin Laden never had time to read Daniel Suarez's novel Daemon. #
- Successive tweets: (1) @sublamp closed tunnels under LAX; suspicious package. (2) @Shocklee BOMB SQUAD Tactical Beats and Sample Artillery. #
- New version of Penultimate iPad app includes Paper Shop with alternate background papers, including 10 types of sheet music. #
- "This update is free because you own a previous version." In contrast with what other kind of update? #ipad #ios #idontknow #
- Great addi(c)tive synth app by @kinlog. RT @RichardDevine The app 'Grid' for iPhone/iPad is free for 24 hours: http://bit.ly/kt8EMn #
- My pleasure. @thakupa This is the best review I've read of my Bit Pairat album. Thanks to @disquiet for the review → http://bit.ly/iRIgnU #
- Two drivers at four-way stop so distracted by Tuesday noon siren they nearly drive into each other. #
- Berio musings pushed back to next week. #
- Anyone out there using Linux as a dual boot (with Win 7) on an Acer Aspire One and want to recommend your distro of choice? #
- Chance street diptych: http://ow.ly/i/b5Pf #
- Evening sounds: toothbrush, water, Tivo hard drive, TV crackling to a quiet after being turned off, minor traffic, heater. #
- Rhythmic early-evening listen: http://goo.gl/obUlD ("record a number of 'everyday' sounds, and then combine them into a musical statement") #
- Oh, two more Win7 freeware musts: WinSplit Revolution and Volumouse. I depend on them so much they've become invisible to me. #
- I had good excuse missing SFEMF last year: my kid's birth. Great to hear Stephan Mathieu's set http://tumblr.com/xa12cz7g6t via @gacougnol #
- RT @ubuweb WNYC's "New Sounds" host John Schaefer picks UbuWeb's Top Ten for May: http://ubu.com (@wnyc #
- Excuse, me: Keepass, not Keypass. #
- Fresh Win7 install. Freeware shoutout: InputDirector, Filezilla, Resoph, DropBox, Simplenote, QMP, 7Zip, Dark Room, GIMP, Keypass, Orzeszek #
- My kinda open source: tamale store gives classes on making tamales. Businesses large & small could learn from that model. #
- .@serial_consign Looks great. Glad to see Flanigan in there. Will read/listen/look shortly. / re: @vagueterrain http://bit.ly/jn159s #
- RIP art legend Ira Cohen (b.1935); described deaf parents' "strange voices like doves cooing"; made film w/ VU's MacLise http://goo.gl/bssqj #
- In my dream last night, I think I was at the premiere of John Adams' Osama bin Laden opera. #
- C-SPAN forcing me to listen to "Macarena" while awaiting President's announcement. #
- Outer-borough dining exploration successes: Huasteca and Mexico Tortilla in Newark (Calif.) #
- Kitano's Outrage has same composer as his Zatoichi, but no dance sequence at the end. #
- Takeshi Kitano's Outrage is pretty excellent, an evisceration of the myth of honor among thieves. #
- All hail Grace van Cutsem, the mascot of noise pollution. http://goo.gl/K6ymJ #
- Based on Toy Story 3, it's clear that Mrs Potato Head would be a natural at Portal 2. #
- Ticket purchased for new Takeshi Kitano film, Outrage, tonight. Cannot wait. Prep listening: Morricone + DJ Krush, perhaps simultaneously. #
- Playing Portal after watching Source Code is a little mentally too close for comfort. #
- RT @sideb0ard any suggestions for term for when you get addicted to an album and listen to it for 2 weeks solid at expense of all else? #
- RT @osakimandias Sunny Saturday morning carries the scent of Spring, and the wind in the trees sounds like applause for a changing season. #
5 Most Recent Comments
needles: "Noll’s compositions and performances under all of his names are other-level. "
Carolyn Jackson: "It’s not your imagination. The outfit was Laurie Spiegel inspired! "
Neil: "Great, interesting piece. Marc, have you thought about making the concept of ‘Bracket Sound’ a..."
Tom: "This is heavenly "
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi. • 0267 / The Metronomic Society / Create a theme song for a fictional organization. • 0266 / Vocal Cuts / Use segments of your own held vowel to make music. • 0265 / Kitchen Music / Record a piece of music that uses items from just one drawer. • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice