- Evening loop: lovely one-minute "Piano Phase" http://t.co/gCjStBf #
- This tweet made me very happy: “@FourTet: the lights on the monome don't do anything when I use it like this.” #
- Indeed, resurrect Team Resurrection. “@gregdavismusic: @kanyewest team of No I.D. and Common (Sense) is/was a match made in hip hop heaven.” #
- Something poetic to hear Idris Elba, of the Dickensian HBO series The Wire, quote Faulkner in his native British on Luther. #
- Afternoon sounds: chirping bird and a peculiarly effervescent can of club soda. #
- Those who dismiss/explain/kinda-praise Common as "bland" just play into same angry-rapper stereotype as his politically motivated attackers. #
- Gotta feel for Common. His defenders end up demeaning him by emphasizing his conscientiousness as a kind of wan weakness. #
- Glad to hear that the @NodeBeat generative audio-game will add recording/exporting in the next update. #
- Nice, brief moment of rock feedback in progress. “@cobra_mike: Recording feedback for a new @kinglosescrown track http://t.co/qC4n5kd” #
- RIP, Skatalites drummer and dub pioneer Lloyd Knibb (b. 1931) http://goo.gl/T199I #
- Word's spreading that Skatalites drummer & dub pioneer Lloyd Knibb passed away. Anyone see official confirmation on this? #
- Source Code was first movie I enjoyed in a long time with a score that worked yet that I would have no interest in listening to on its own. #
- Didn't record the construction noise? @sepulchra Drove 5 hours to record something … Heavy construction noise made me turn right back. #
- Received online "jingle writing" course invite. Syllabus lacks lesson on selecting choice moments from Who songs. #
- Man, good job. RT @TrueSwamp as Prince noted prophetically in "Batdance": "Hey Ducky — let's put the 7" in the computer" #
- Another heart broken by the transmutation of language. @jeremymeyers this makes me sad. #
- Increasingly convinced there are people employing the term 7" and by it mean a song released on its own, likely as an MP3. #
- RT @alvinlu Honking goose passing overhead (3rd St nr Mission Rock). #eartwit #415 #
- Or the nth-degree extrapolation of an LP. RT @alln4tural "NP?" I'm guessing you don't mean non-deterministic polynomial time. #
- Not all sonification is media-art sonification. Some is applied sonification. And some is both. #
- NP: Lesser/Matmos/Wobbly's Simultaneous Quartet, which has one of the most involved album covers of 2010 http://goo.gl/W4efw #
- Morning sounds: shower, desktop hard drive/fan, car and bus passing, baby kicking and cooing. #
- The real purpose of White House Poetry Slam is so Obama can have his original copy of Notations signed by Alison Knowles. #
- WH Poetry Slam is Homeland Security setup to snag Goldsmith :) RT @gregdavismusic maybe feds are gonna grab kenny g for grey-area sharing :) #
- Idea of Common as cultural threat is humorous. White House Poetry Slam haters should fear Kenneth Goldsmith of @ubuweb #
- "The only Berio I know is a brand of olive oil" –my (wonderful) mom #
- 15:12 = ratio of Bach:Sousa recordings in "classical" genre in Library of Congress National Jukebox http://loc.gov/jukebox #
- 2:1 = ratio of whistling:yodeling among genres in Library of Congress National Jukebox http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/ #
- 22:2:1 = ratio of opera:country:whistling among genres in Library of Congress' National Jukebox http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/ #
- The Magna Carta's in the hood: http://goo.gl/eBudA #richmonddistrict @deyoungmuseum #
- People, Jon Lewis (creator of the True Swamp comic) has joined Twitter: @trueswamp #
- I recorded the sound of glass shard in my kid's stroller http://t.co/7iFszJt Then @mystified131 remixed it http://t.co/3ALAgEj #
- RT @steinbruchel raindrops hitting the ground like bullets. the sound is incredible. could be my first noise record via @hecanjog #eartwit #
- In past week reinstalled OS on netbook and desktop — a digital equivalent of Keith Richards' mythical blood transfusions. #
- Desktop computer hard drive and fan in OS-reinstall mode, whizzing against undulating throb of refrigerator. No birds, no cars, no planes. #
- RIP, TV-theme composer "Big George" Webley (b. 1957); joked he wrote "music with an average duration of 29 seconds" http://t.co/teAPwuD #
- Introducing Madden's Law RT @mmaddencomics: You can't own a record so rare that it won't eventually turn up as filler music on NPR. #
- I will have to give it a listen. “@tobiasreber: Have you heard sound? … I like sound. All my mates think so, too. … Sound is profound.” #
- Apparently sound's a trend. I never know if this attention/acknowledgement is good, bad, a sign of a jumped shark … http://goo.gl/WoK6H #
- What We Talked About Before We Talked About Sampling: evoked, homage, allude, quote, reference, cite … #
- In my bag: David Osmond-Smith's Playing on Words and Zombies. #
- C++ for Dummies and Zombies #
- Genre is as persistent a myth as race. "@bwhitman google music beta onboarding asks me to choose my favorite genres. rage begins to swell." #
- In cafe mentally adding "& zombies" to people's books: Hegel's Concept of Experience & Zombies, The Sound & the Fury & Zombies. #
- “@admwllms: I swear my hair clippers were droning pleasantly earlier (beneath the usual buzz) while my girlfriend shaved my hair” #eartwit #
- Professional straight-razor shave just now sounded like a granular-synth music box. #
- And back again. “@tom_player: So interesting how few techniques cross over from commercial (pop) to concert music” #
- Song ends on cafe radio just in time for Tuesday noon siren. #
- Hush isn't silence. Hush is the consensual, communal pressure to be silent, and even if it doesn't resound, it has has its own vibration. #
- Listening to art * Playing with music * Sounding out technology * Composing in code #
- .@primusluta But I also think it's healthy to school ourselves in pre-digital precedents, if only to not over-privilege our moment/era/time. #
- Something intriguingly odd about how use of the term "copyleft" peaks at each new century: http://goo.gl/tNdKc Cc @primusluta #
- Yesterday I pondered Berio @newmusicbox re: copyleft, appropriation, generation perspectives, classical sampling http://goo.gl/eIUDc #
- Thank you @geetadayal so much (!) for having asked Max Matthews my 50-channel Cage/Atlas Eclipticalis question! http://goo.gl/ISE1M Thanks! #
- Just Blaze's Cam'ron "Oh Boy" beat: xylophone + rim shot + vocal snippet = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKJjs5HVzMU #
- That Just Blaze instrumental is a favorite of mine, but I did mean Buddy Holly's. @jakobkerr Cam'ron single "Oh Boy" feat. Juelz Santana? #
- #thesongsdontweighthesame @nightafternight Better still, Sleep's "Dopesmoker" (63:31) and Napalm Death's "You Suffer" (0:01.316). #
- Decade after iTunes launch we still refer to music in terms of "20,000 songs" (i.e., Google Music)? "Roundabout" & "Oh, Boy" weigh the same? #
- I think I will have an ice cream sandwich with lunch. #
- RIP, David Mason (b. 1926), British trumpeter best known for playing piccolo on Beatles' "Penny Lane" http://t.co/tDfiaHh #
- Social proximity in the age of Twitter and Facebook has not yet ceased to amaze me. #
- Few silences are as great as that from the other end of a telemarketer-research call when you ask who is funding the research #
- Broken glass in stroller wheel makes raspy little beat. Recorded this afternoon along Golden Gate Park http://t.co/7iFszJt #
- Today's recommended MP3: astute dissection of sonic background/foreground, but also useful drone for your baby's nap http://goo.gl/3uChI #
- Cage's "Imaginary Landscape" included turntables in 1939: just as long prior to the birth of hip-hop as we now are far from it. #
- Listening to Louis Jordan remixed by DJ Premier. More paste than cut, but fun. "Ain't Nobody Here but Us Chickens." #lanoire #
- Most music PR reads as if its intended audience already knows the subject, which is exactly the opposite of how it should be. #
- RIP, John Walker (b. John Maus, 1943), co-founder with Scott Walker of the Walker Brothers. #
- Are we more informed or hypersensitive about copyright than in the 1960s? I ponder Berio at http://goo.gl/eIUDc @newmusicbox #
- Morning sounds: shower, baby snores, hard drive/fan, ice cubes in coffee. #
- Homemade cucumber soda turned out great. What's next? I'm thinking cantaloupe. #
- .@GuyBirkin I didn't know you were in Twitterland. Excellent. Now following. Thanks on the Rucker recommendation. #
- 27,383: The number of items filed under "netlabels" at archive.org. #
- I am waiting for the 3d version of the novel Flatland. #
- Afternoon sounds: dryer, birds, cars. #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice