- Nick Lowe once sang, "This rut I am in, it once was a groove." Beatmakers try to find a new groove in that old rut. #
- Also @artmrkt, quite a bit of Bruce Conner as well as, for the collagists in the house, Jess. #
- Solid stuff at @artmrkt today. If you go, see the dresses-as-sound-installations at front door & homage-themed Catherine Clark Gallery set. #
- When a high-school band walks by, you really wish you'd had RJDJ already running. #
- Headed to @artmrkt in SOMA — should be there around 1pm. If anyone happens to see/hear anything soundy there, lemme know. #415 #
- Nice. "Euphonic coordination": my credit on artist @salvagione video (I connected him with band's track) http://goo.gl/HBbZd #
- I'm more likely to defend Flash widgets (vs Flash sites) when Reader isn't freezing my laptop & Flash doesn't need repeated updates/reboots. #
- RT @Billforman Apologies if that was too many RTs. Got nothin' original to say this morning. #
- A truly magical, slender musical device: an LP record arriving via mail from Australia no worse for the journey. #
- Genius. @GlennF proposes [Walter] "Benjaminagram" app that takes photos "incapable of being transmitted from the device" #throughamemedarkly #
- Video just posted of art installation by Paolo Salvagione: http://vimeo.com/23971458 I coordinated the score, by Grand Canonical Ensemble. #
- Just sent out first Disquiet.com email newsletter in more than a year. I forget email is still a primary form of news for many people. #rss #
- RT @susangrayblue You'd be having fun with layers of sound our Nashville cicada brood produces. Under full moon, clicks. Today, two hums. #
- RIP, Snooky Young (b. 1919), lead trumpet in Doc Severinsen’s 'Tonight Show' orchestra http://goo.gl/RQYJr #
- By definition, generative music is most potent when it takes on a life of its own. #
- Air app by Peter Chilvers (Brian Eno Bloom collaborator) & Sandra O'Neill now supports background play. Listen while you read. #
- .@primusluta Thanks, re: that Hang reference. You seen this Otomata-inspired Monome clip? http://vimeo.com/23782810 A reader provided it. #
- Local library doubled shelf space for comics. #
- Confused by guy talking into cassette tape on sidewalk. Then realized it's an iPhone case. #
- In honor of my new Twitter background image (by @brianhagen111), great ukulele-sampling: http://soundcloud.com/simple-eyes/violence #
- RT @colinholter ASCAP email: "May is Month to Monotize Your Music." You heard 'em: Mix all your stereo files down to mono. via @jazarimusic #
- If I mistakenly attribute field recordings to anything I write about in the next week, blame the birds in the back yard. #
- .@precociousmouse Thanks. Listening now. But I mean the opposite: not no "post-production," just no-"post"; i.e., all "production." #
- Wind a constant drone in the chimney, like how a snare drum buzzes on stage in between sets. #
- I tend to prefer music for which the phrase "post-production" is redundant. #
- Photo of Big Boi & Terry Riley in Burger King that's been circulating is gift that keeps on giving http://lockerz.com/s/101414677 #
- Wouldn't a true William S. Burroughs–themed @burroughsbot cut up and mix the tweets it re-tweets? #
- I have a new Twitter background this month, a uke drawn by @brianhagen111, but Twitter profile settings aren't, well, setting. #status #
- "@geetadayal: also carrying 1981 Laurie Anderson/Burroughs collab, Rzewski, & Varese. Dangerous ideas!" [The people united will always …] #
- Thanks again to @owenfreeman for having drawn my Twitter background this month. Today has been its final day. #
- "@geetadayal: security screening 'enhanced' due to vinyl records, which they took out and tested." Listening for backward messages? #
- "@abest: MIDI files" A MIDI loop seems like a likely contender for audio equivalent of an animated GIF. #
- “@debcha: @disquiet @Hybernaut Sample loops, surely?” Definitely a loop, but wonder if it is more specific. #
- “@thejorgecolombo: @disquiet Crankable music boxes?” I like that. Or, maybe ringtones? [Re: What's the sound equivalent of an animated gif?] #
- Wondering if there's a sonic equivalent of (or parallel to) an animated GIF, and if so what it is. #
- Rome Drone: '70s Terry Riley video http://goo.gl/bJcWB Try in multiple out-of-sync browser tabs (via @gregdavismusic @soundohm) #
- Doing interview with @earslap on generative sound confirmed for me unique benefit of email interviews: tracking back to discussion forks. #
- Cellular automata, generative sound, digital fragmentation, wind chimes: discussing Otomata with @earslap: http://goo.gl/kStjs #
- Noon siren in San Francisco: filtered through unceasing typing. #
- Evening sounds: cars on wet street, wind rustling in living room's chimney, whirring TiVo mistakenly convinced it'll be turned on before bed #
- RT @cobra_mike Just stepped outside into the kind of deathly quiet you only hear before a huge storm. #eartwit #
- Le Guin on Miéville/genre: "When he wins the Booker, the whole silly hierarchy will collapse, and literature will be much the better for it" #
- I have been a Ton Kiang loyalist for many years, but Hong Kong Lounge, just down the block, rocked my lunch expectations today. #dimsum #415 #
- When I saw Stephen Hawking's name is trending, I mistakenly assumed he had died. Instead, he's talking about death. #
- The (natural) acoustic landscape of Portugal: http://goo.gl/xS0xD via @mediateletipos #
- Today is, at least in regard to the 354 people I follow, the quietest Twitter day in recent memory. (Not a cue to start RT'ing neat links.) #
- Completed an excellent interview with a developer about sound, generative precursors, randomness, browser fragmentation. Will post shortly. #
- RIP, producer Jack Richardson (b.1929), among whose hits was Guess Who's "American Woman"; dad of producer Garth (Rage Against the Machine). #
- It's cute watching Twitterbots flirt and fill up each other's dance card over the weekend, only for them to disappear come Monday morning. #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound." • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice