- RIP, computer engineer Tom West (b. 1939), subject of Tracy Kidder’s 1981 Soul of a New Machine. @wired @ev_rat followup http://goo.gl/GOFrB #
- After-midnight sounds: cars blowing past stop signs, house rattling as bus puts on brakes, TV crackling as it cools. #
- RIP, Gil Scott-Heron (b. 1949). And whitey's on the moon. #
- These noise-canceling earbuds are no match for Lionel Richie. #hello #
- Thanks, @tmbobile & @samsungmobileus — got the OTA update to my Galaxy S 4G phone today. It's running smoothly — that is, more smoothly. #
- YouTube autoplay gets credit for unintended first-of-the-morning duet between demos of SynthPad and Sound Cells. #
- Otomata Quartet: four instances of the generative sound app working in tandem http://t.co/kq0rtSM #video #
- Fahrenheit 450 #lessinterestingbooks #
- The Thomas Crown Missed Connection #lessinterestingstevemcqueenmovies #
- If I'm not mistaken, a friend of mine is each day changing it so that it is again his birthday on Facebook. #nanoculturejamming #
- Waiting for plane to pass, just as I was about to play a visiting friend quiet audio from upcoming project. #
- #busted RT @TheOnion: NEWSWIRE: Eject Button Hit Just To Hear Cool Little Servomotor Sound Of Disc Emerging via @entroporium #
- Slate's em-dashes diatribe would have been more convincing had it employed them elegantly rather than emulated the hysteria it perceives. #
- Somewhere a refrigerator door is waiting for me. #onecaption #
- The @newyorker profile of Cory Arcangel cites his use of words "demo" and "Pro Tools" as evidence of his "penchant for marketing lingo." #
- Previous tweet was title of work cited in seemingly begrudgingly respectful Cory Arcangel profile in May 30 New Yorker. #
- “Photoshop CS: 84 by 66 inches, 300 DPI, RGB, square pixels, default gradient ‘Spectrum,’ mousedown y=22100 x=14050, mouseup y=19700 x=1800” #
- iPad pro tip: super silent reading when near sleeping baby. No nasty page-turning noise. (Caveat: Needs cough-suppressant app.) #
- What 121 prepared dc-motors and cardboard elements look/sound like, latest from Zimoun: http://t.co/Q2mDdGY #
- Just learned http://www.loop-line.jp/ (gallery, venue) in Sendagaya Tokyo closed March 28. Makes me sad. Was my first stop on every visit. #
- Should be a lofi Blade Runner remake in which Deckard is addicted to using web captchas to convince himself he's not an android #
- Lovely pairing of generative webapp Otomata & iOS SoundPrism (gets going ~ 0:58, but watch in full for trial & error) http://goo.gl/aPo3G #
- Photographic evidence that Dubai's architects play Minecraft: http://goo.gl/7TAH5 #
- Afternoon audiostream: micro-waltz http://soundcloud.com/all-n4tural/three-over-four-on-wood #
- Flower Drum Ringtone #boringmusicals #
- Mortgage #boringmusicals #
- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Chatroom #boringmusicals #
- Tulsa! #boringmusicals #
- The Muzak Man #boringmusicals #
- Sunday in the Park with George Hamilton #boringmusicals #
- Nice parallel in @ryuichisakamoto Red Bull interview: YMO wore fake Chinese garb; David Sylvian's band named after Japan http://t.co/uciqRJM #
- Hoping that "RiYL" is a relatively common term, as I'm now tagging all Disquiet.com free downloads with such references. #
- Morning sounds: desktop fan whirring, ice cubes clinking in coffee, cars rolling by. #
- Just got music.google.com invite. The service would be more cloud-like if it didn't require software install to upload audio. #
- Frustrating HTML5 audio players either do too little (no name tags) or too much (auto-pull all links on given page). WordPress tips welcome. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. Baby seemed to pause and look around when hearing it. #
- RT @radiomaru GPS pronouncing Santa Monica in a way that I can't even begin to explain #eartwit #
- RT @emarg0ed good eyes ;) can't believe you found that. well, I guess the secret's not so secret any more: http://kikapu.org/ #
- Never delete a dead RSS feed, because you never know when the feed will suddenly show signs of life. #
- For Bob Dylan's 70th, here's my 2007 @newmusicbox piece, parsing his autobiography for thoughts on electronic music: http://goo.gl/Q1C1x #
- Anyone else having issues with the @soundcloud embeddable player visibly flashing on/off in Firefox 4? #
- Congrats, @AlarmWillSound, on your 10th birthday. Their download gift to fans: an Ives-ian arrangement of the Shaggs: http://t.co/WZTzSnC #
- 10.5 more hours of writing. Then: Manchurian food. #
- "For what is the present, after all, but a growth out of the past?" –Walt Whitman #
- While in 7-Eleven today, found myself looking for a new issue of (defunct) Scratch on the magazine rack. #ghostpain #
- Apparently today everything will be an unintentional mash-up with "Row, Row, Row Your Boat." #
- RT @josephknight If you're in Firefox & having issues with Delicious security certificate, go to http://t.co/SdYl4c9 & create an exception. #
- Worthy (if, sadly, unlikely to make goal) @kickstarter to send US audio artists to Brazilian Amazon http://kck.st/f3q2pX #
- As of two days ago, there's an Android app for @sonicsquirrel — a major host of #netlabel audio http://goo.gl/pL37A #
- Thought this track's opening was especially interesting. Turns out that was the earbud slowly expanding to fit my ear. #
- Has @internetarchive been particularly iffy this weekend? #
- Looking forward to afternoon tour of local Russian Orthodox church, whose bells resound in the neighborhood daily. #richmonddistrict #415 #
- RT @osakimandias Left my recorder running when I started writing today. On playback, the typewriter sounds like a distant, fierce gun battle #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice