- Summon Dragonfly #shittywizardspells #
- Not only seeing the X-Men movie today, but (1) it's a short walk and (2) there's dim sum en route. #richmonddistrict #415 #
- Was much more of a Fantasy Trip kid than a D&D kid. #
- RIP, jazz pianist Ray Bryant (b. 1931). #
- Morning sounds: fridge chirping and droning like a field of insects, wind playing in the chimney, vehicles passing cautiously on wet street. #
- All my kid's electric toys that make noise should come with a "simulated low battery" setting. #
- Craigslist photo compression makes every posted item look like it is stolen. #
- RT @ario: Every time a piece of tempting audio content is made available as stream-only with no download option, an angel loses its wings. #
- A favorite from my comics-editing days. Man, 1993. RT @TrueSwamp: Here's a sweet old Lutes/Lewis morsel http://ow.ly/1trjyN #
- Fairly certain that Pringles canister on stage is an instrument. #noiselife #
- My first concert-going experience since the whole #noiselife thing. #
- "Live in Tokyo" by @taylordeupree, courtesy of @selftitledmag, will be this evening's soundtrack: http://t.co/8Vhl21F #
- In a lesser work, this is where the starkly defined parameters commonly referred to as "melody" would make themselves plainly heard. #
- Sound Shapes game looks solid http://bit.ly/kzQUTb (via @nobuooo) But @gamespy discussion = humorously retrograde-fanboy http://goo.gl/dl3y4 #
- Briefly enjoying inflated Twitter stats, as I've been followed in previous 36 hours by enough bots to populate an arcade game. #
- I like when my favorite musicians correspond on Twitter. It inevitably leads to (or discloses existence of) collaboration. #
- Afternoon audiostream: dank, shifting, pneumatic minimal techno "Trust" by Porto, Portugal's @ocp_pt_vu http://t.co/lSHdOd3 #
- Mid-week reminder: if you do the Facebook, there's a Disquiet.com page you might Like: http://facebook.com/disquiet.fb #
- Death metal to the left of me, chucka chucka dance music to the right. Here I am, stuck in the middle. At Chinatown branch of @sfplnews #
- Looking forward to first-Thursday art crawl this evening in San Francisco — anything soundy going on? #
- RIP, sound mixer Bill Varney (b. 1934), who worked with Walter Murch on the restored Touch of Evil http://goo.gl/myNTB #
- RT @morganpackard: RT @schweppits Crackling sound of browning chicken goes nicely with new Now Ensemble album. http://t.co/cEqHHBR #eartwit #
- Speaking of #noiselife Joe Colley's Oakland newsstand @issuesshop celebrates its 4th anniversary today http://t.co/D78lvjE #
- RT @JDKun: The hills are alive with a duet between squad car sirens and a pack of howling coyotes. #NELA #eartwit #
- You ripped the audio from this video of a cicada-infested wall http://t.co/bhnAcCh via @io9 #noiselife #
- What happens when you mash up @creativecommons + @youtube? We shall see: http://is.gd/j8qNan via @xenijardin #
- Your instruments are hand-me-downs from your toddler #noiselife #
- Whoever wrote this sign is unfamiliar with early Eddie Murphy: http://ow.ly/i/clQD #
- Crud. Local comic store won't get this week's issues til tomorrow, due to Memorial Day shipping delay. I need my Criminal #1 #
- Favorite colors are white, brown, and pink #noiselife #
- Favorite digital audio formats are .gif and .png #noiselife #
- Has no idea about this #noiselife activity because handles all communication through MySpace #
- “@cranksatori: @disquiet "Have you ever thought of putting beats over that?"” #noiselife #
- Doesn't use a single solitary item sold at Guitar Center #noiselife #
- "What do you mean it would benefit from the addition of vocals? I was singing." #noiselife #
- Closest thing to a reunion tour will involve resuscitating decade-old solo pseudonym #noiselife #
- Has to explain to family that the harsh language in local alt-weekly coverage was, in fact, praise #noiselife #
- Everyone in the audience is also on the bill #noiselife #
- Shelf full of broken children's toys #noiselife #
- Wants velcro cable ties for birthday #noiselife #
- RT @osakimandias Airport white noise: constant dull surf of blended voices beneath checkpoint alarms, chittering like irate cicadas #eartwit #
- Response to iPad stylus Cosmonaut http://goo.gl/oXF28 (almost 3x $50k goal) gives lie to knee-jerk anti-stylus thinking. #
- "Artist of science" Gail Wight part of June 2 show at Patricia Sweetow Gallery: http://goo.gl/Zip0U My old Nature piece: http://goo.gl/ohAaG #
- My kid turns 9 months today. Singing (for fun and as lullabies) helped reconnect me to the voice after many years in instrumental wilderness #
- Excellent to see @io9 give a push http://goo.gl/k4hJ3 to Cheryl Leonard's Antarctic-music Kickstarter http://t.co/RLO04AH #
- Wondering how song-identification services like Shazam are preparing for our generative-music future. #
- DJ, human or algorithmic, moved from "Death of a Ladies' Man" to "Dark Side of the Moon," confirming their resemblance. #
- San Francisco Tuesday noon siren muted by death metal at Rosamunde Grill (here for the Tuesday-only hamburger). #
- Fairly certain I only employ the word "chic" when talking about the band. #
- And when wipers don't match the beat. RT @taylordeupree: Hate when pitch of my tires on highway pavement don't match song I'm listening to. #
- Not the sound of hard rain. A hard drive being re-parsed by Songbird. #
- Yeah, I could see how typing "toot" instead of "root" could confuse a XAMPP/WordPress install. #
- RIP, Steve Rutt (b. 1945), developer of Rutt/Etra video synth: obit http://goo.gl/Ndrqk video http://goo.gl/UdIQz plugin http://goo.gl/9Dkwz #
- Vinyl surface noise + snippets of appropriated instrumentation + broken beats = a combination of which I will never tire. #
- Pretty sure that "Scandinavian" is an English-language term used to suggest "I have a poor sense of geography." #
- Really digging "Immigrant Song" by Trent Reznor and Karen O. It's a cover that sounds like a remix, blurring the idea of both. #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound." • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice