- To read today's @LATimesEnt email newsletter you'd have no idea E3 took place this week in LA. #videogames #myopia #
- Weekend agenda: Berkeley, baby shower, Puerto Rican food, writing, museum visit(s?), record shopping. #
- Drove car home loaded with hand-me-down baby gates & toys, including phone whose ringer buzzed from inside the trunk whenever we hit a bump #
- That's the one. Thanks! Now wondering if retronym is a retronym. RT @debcha: @disquiet The word you're looking for is 'retronym' #
- "Webapp" is like "acoustic guitar," one of those terms that only needed to be created after the fact. #
- "Exterminate! Exterminate!" RIP, "voice of the Daleks" Roy Skelton (b. 1931) http://t.co/AfwVs2q via @guardian #
- Really wish 9 out of 10 emails I get from djshadow.com weren't trying to sell me something. #
- Everything I know about sports I learned by clicking on the names I didn't recognize in the Twitter Trends list. #
- Crud. I thought I had my old interview with Les Paul up on Disquiet.com. Need to dig it out and post it. #
- (Buncha RT's for my proposal. Cool.) I vote we name these two new elements Boris and Sunn O))) #noisescience #
- #noiseparents My kid thinks my Buddha Machine is its night nanny @disquiet @mapmap @gregdavis @lampo @antoniasimigis @stringbot #
- #noiseparents @mapmap @gregdavis RT @lampo FYI @stringbot @AntoniaSimigis @disquiet & all the moms + dads http://bit.ly/iYd38W #
- Had a feeling last night while trying nifty Les Paul logo on Google's homepage on my iPad that audio part wasn't HTML5: http://goo.gl/ozPI8 #
- I vote we name these two new elements Boris and Sunn O))). #
- Best thing at the end of day isn't the sense of accomplishment. It's the quiet resulting from shutting down desktop computer. #
- 6:00pm bells. Only audible when the windows are open. #
- 1st season of CBC TV series Intelligence is The Wire. 2nd (and final) season is Prison Break. Schaun Tozer's score is strong throughout. #
- Stoller wheel picked up glass shard in another part of town. It was like a cover version of this from a few weeks back: http://bit.ly/mi9PDw #
- Excellent #netlabel development: newly created @kikapunetlabel account signals http://kikapu.org/ is nearing relaunch. #
- This @evernote "peek" iPad 2 Smart Cover app would be a cool format for Oblique Strategies: http://goo.gl/HJKLa #
- The iPad app I mentioned yesterday that is adding recording to its feature set is @nodebeat #
- Belated RIP, producer (Human League, Buzzcocks) Martin Rushent (b. 1948) http://goo.gl/OtKR3 via @geetadayal @compactrobot #
- RIP, Lebanese composer Walid Gholmieh (b. 1938); composed Iraq anthem (1979-2003), was on Gorillaz's Plastic Beach http://goo.gl/NmuL5 #
- RIP, Swedish drummer and Chet Baker alum Nils-Bertil Dahlander (b. 1928) #
- Happiness is when one of your favorite sound apps adds the ability to record. #
- Just noticed that the Shaolin Temple in my neighborhood has a sign out front that reads, simply, "Since 495 AD." #
- The municipal church bell that is the Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. #
- Current favorite "broken beat" filter is to let occasional Twitter @ mentions pause various audio-game apps running on my iPad. #
- Early patty-cake lessons with 9-month-old oddly reminiscent of early Steve Reich. #
- Inevitable realization that almost all my posts could be tagged #noiselife #
- Bjork mentions @reactable in new http://bjork.com/ HTML5 website statement. Interface suggests she's playing with @sonicwire. #
- I'm all in for composition-by-accrual, but not UI-by-accrual. I really need to give Disquiet.com a thorough visual cleansing. #
- Anyone recommend a more price-effective FTP service than sharefile.com and egnyte.com? #diycloud #
- RT @tobiasreber late night moment thought I heard tiny tinnitus. Turns out I just stood in right place/position to hear light bulb #twittear #
- RT @ooray Instant, jogging-synced tremolo from the in-ear phone bouncing in and out of my ear with every step. #naturaldsp #twittear #
- In cafe whose advertised selling points are in the negative: no wifi, no in-house music. Still, lots of us on cellphone-modem'd laptops. #
- RT @lydrummet Ben Burtt & Gary Rydstrom doing sound design on JJ Abrams' Super 8. That's like having John Lennon & Bob Dylan in same band. #
- Misread E3 report about Kinect-powered "virtual horse" as "virtual horse meat." … Cooking Mama Izakaya. #
- Copyright cops travel to 1700, arrest teen Bach for transcribing by hand complete book of keyboard works by Froberger, Kerll, and Pachelbel. #
- We appear to live in a world in which there's a Death Ray figurine http://goo.gl/c4RW7 but no Jack Hawksmoor one. via @superheronovels #
- Crazy. Such a basic tool. Tx. RT @linmu After long research NONE. if i know i have to annotate, convert epub to PDF & use Goodreader. #ebook #
- Is there an iPad ebook reader app that (1) exports notes (like Kindle app) & (2) has sync-less epub import (like iBooks app)? #
- RT @mapmap wonderful rolling sounds of thunder tonight in portland. #eartwit #
- Bring the #noiselife #
- RIP, Edwin Honig (b.1919), poet and early translator of Fernando Pessoa http://t.co/00aoyom #
- Afterdark sounds: trio for tow truck, rattling muffler, and hammer. #
- "Dream a Little Dream of Me" came on the cafe radio. It's 80 years old this year. Man, those changes. This will be my next ukulele project. #
- Happiness is when the band sends you soundboard MP3s of the show you just saw. Especially when you left mid-encore to catch the bus. #
- Door. #
- X-men movie is a lot of fun. Very pleased they used so much of the great Frank Quitely's visual template. #
- +$2.50 to Add Chicken Cutlet #shittywizardspells #
- Not quite sure what I think of "pay with a tweet" approach. Transparency is essential. "Payment" for that prior tweet was four ringtones. #
- I set on vibrate, but these ringtones are estimable for their simplicity. NB: tweet sponsored via @innothunder http://cleartones.net/ #
- Disappointed that @shazam fails to identify household appliances by their unique drones #noiselife #
- Calculate Tip #shittywizardspells #
- Vast amounts of work to do, but overwhelmed by urge to dig out old Steve Jackson micro-games. Rivets! Chitin! Ogre! G.E.V.! #
- Cloak of Rain Retardant #shittywizardspells #
- Hashtag Popularity Mirage #shittywizardspells #
- Dead Batteries #noiselife #shittywizardspells #
- RT @npseaver We know in certain circumstances the correct continuation of 2,4,6,8 is 10,12,14,16 while in others it's "who do we appreciate" #
- Increase Backpack Weight x2 #shittywizardspells #
- Explain Sports Reference #shittywizardspells #
- Renew Library Book #shittywizardspells #
- Hex Color Chart #shittywizardspells #
- Wrap in Mylar #shittywizardspells #
5 Most Recent Posts
Spring 2013: The Disquiet Junto is assisting Geoff Manaugh in a course he is teaching at Columbia University's GSAPP, "San Andreas: Architecture for the Fault." Details at bldgblog.blogspot.com.
February 26: I'm giving a three-hour guest lecture about listening to a class on writing for radio productions at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
May 15, 2013: Last day of 15-week course I'm teaching about sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco, California.
Ongoing: In January 2013 I became part of the SoundCloud Heroes project, more on which in the near future. In the short term, full disclosure, I was gifted the top-level account, Pro Plus. Initial post here: "What I'm Up To."
Ongoing: The film The Children Next Door (2012), on which I served as music supervisor and collaborated with Taylor Deupree on sound design, is currently touring festivals. It won a special jury prize at DOC NYC and has also played at the Denver and Hamptons festivals. Directed by Doug Block, produced by Lynda A. Hansen. More at thechildrennextdoor.com.
Down the Pike: Concerts in the Disquiet Junto series are in various stages of planning for London, England; Portland, Oregon; and elsewhere.
Way Down the Pike: Currently writing a book about Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, for the 33 1/3 series.
5 Most Recent Comments
watch free Sex cams: "Your style is really unique compared to other people I have read stuff from. Many thanks for..."
www.hummaa.com: "I enjoy what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and exposure! Keep up the fantastic..."
Adrian Hallam: "Hi Marc, Thank you for the lovely write up about “The Parting”. I Really appreciate it...."
MichaelAshSharbaugh: "Dear Mr .Weidenbaum, Good Day! How are you? I just now saw the write-up you gave Adrian..."
Nick Cooke: "Really interesting use of an interesting instrument. "
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. These are the weekly projects to date: 1: ice cubes • 2: duet for foghorn and steam whistle • 3: expanded glass harp • 4: remixing Marcus Fischer • 5: adding sounds to everyday life • 6: remixing archival Edison cylinders • 7: create through subtraction • 8: rework Benjamin Franklin's autobiography • 9: cross-species collaboration • 10: remix a previous Junto track • 11: everyday mechanical rhythms • 12: cut and paste • 13: remixing wild Up playing Shostakovich • 14: sonic version of Matt Madden's Oubapo story • 15: aural RGB • 16: sandpaper and dice • 17: transition between field and composed • 18: relative prominence • 19: graphic score (photo by Yojiro Imasaka) • 20: use the NodeBeat app • 21: the four seasons • 22: sonic decay • 23: palindrone • 24: a suite of sonic alerts • 25: remixing project 24 • 26: making music from your trash • 27: turm the instruction text into sound • 28: remix a netlabel release • 29: music from water, inspired by William Gibson's Count Zero • 30: sounds from silence • 31: Revisiting a 1955 Yoko Ono Fluxus piece • 32: sonify the 2012 U.S. presidential election polling data • 33: making music with a turntable but without vinyl • 34: Use the theme song of the Radius broadcast as the source of an original composition • 35: Make music from a sample page of Beck's Song Reader sheet music • 36: Reworking Bach into abstract expressionism • 37: The sound of commerce • 38: Make a fake field recording • 39: Combine three tracks from the Nowaki netlabel into one • 40: Turn a Kenneth Kirschner duet into a trio • 41: Dirty minimalism • 42: Record a "naive melody" with your oldest and newest instruments> • 43: Make mechanical roars from the sound of a retail space • 44: Transition from storm to calm using field recordings from Sandy 2012 • 45: Combine material from the public domain adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Tom Sawyer • 46: Investigate a recording of the voting process for its "sonic fingerprint." • 47: Turn the muffled voices of a distant party into the foundation of a recording. • 48: Celebrate the Creative Commons license that allows for derivative works by remixing music from the Three Legs Duck netlabel. • 49: Make a track, 50% of which is the sound of a tape cassette deck in motion. • 50: Encode a word or phrase in Morse Code and employ that as a track's rhythm. • 51: Create a 2012 audio diary with a dozen five-second segments. • 52: Celebrate the Creative Commons by remixing three tracks from the Bump Foot netlabel. • 53: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it (redux). • 54: Create an original musical score for the day's news. • 55: Combine two Nils Frahm solo piano pieces into one. • 56: Make music from the sound of the tick of a clock. • 57: Use sounds from the Phonetics Lab Archive at UCLA to depict emotions. • 58: Celebrate the Creative Commons by remixing three tracks from the Endless Ascent netlabel. • 59: Make music from three randomly assigned vowels. • 60: Record something about yourself and your music/sound in your own words and voice. • 61: Record a single for which the cover would be the image suggested by a @textinstagram tweet. • 62: Make music using just three sine waves. • 63: Make a new piece of music based on an echo-laden re-recording of Gregorian chant. • 64: Compose a piece to align with, from memory, 60 seconds of everyday sound. • 65: Compose music atop a randomly assigned segment of a pre-existing track by Jared Brickman. • 66: Collaborate posthumously with the late Jeffrey (Nofi) Melton. • 67: Compose music for a phrase from Homer's The Odyssey • 68: Combine three songs from the first release of the new deriv.cc netlabel. • 69: Make music from field recordings of earth, water, air, and fire. • 70: Create a single piece of music from two tones and three beats. • 71: Create an original score to the trailer to Christine Knowlton's film about blind sailors.
Tags8-bit android app audio-games chiptune classical comics copyleft demix field-recording film forum-digger free gadget generative i-hop installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch jazz junto live-performance mp3 discussion group netlabel noise reactive remix rock science-fiction score silence site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands turntablism TV video video-games voice year's best
- SFO -> JFK 17 hours ago
- “Henry David Thoreau followed you” 1 day ago
- By this time tomorrow I’ll still be on a plane to New York. 1 day ago
- Tuesday noon siren in the Mission. Plane overhead. “This is a [muffled] test …” 2 days ago
- I have a special folder where I put articles about how art is too commercialized and how music has been commercially devalued. 2 days ago