- To read today's @LATimesEnt email newsletter you'd have no idea E3 took place this week in LA. #videogames #myopia #
- Weekend agenda: Berkeley, baby shower, Puerto Rican food, writing, museum visit(s?), record shopping. #
- Drove car home loaded with hand-me-down baby gates & toys, including phone whose ringer buzzed from inside the trunk whenever we hit a bump #
- That's the one. Thanks! Now wondering if retronym is a retronym. RT @debcha: @disquiet The word you're looking for is 'retronym' #
- "Webapp" is like "acoustic guitar," one of those terms that only needed to be created after the fact. #
- "Exterminate! Exterminate!" RIP, "voice of the Daleks" Roy Skelton (b. 1931) http://t.co/AfwVs2q via @guardian #
- Really wish 9 out of 10 emails I get from djshadow.com weren't trying to sell me something. #
- Everything I know about sports I learned by clicking on the names I didn't recognize in the Twitter Trends list. #
- Crud. I thought I had my old interview with Les Paul up on Disquiet.com. Need to dig it out and post it. #
- (Buncha RT's for my proposal. Cool.) I vote we name these two new elements Boris and Sunn O))) #noisescience #
- #noiseparents My kid thinks my Buddha Machine is its night nanny @disquiet @mapmap @gregdavis @lampo @antoniasimigis @stringbot #
- #noiseparents @mapmap @gregdavis RT @lampo FYI @stringbot @AntoniaSimigis @disquiet & all the moms + dads http://bit.ly/iYd38W #
- Had a feeling last night while trying nifty Les Paul logo on Google's homepage on my iPad that audio part wasn't HTML5: http://goo.gl/ozPI8 #
- I vote we name these two new elements Boris and Sunn O))). #
- Best thing at the end of day isn't the sense of accomplishment. It's the quiet resulting from shutting down desktop computer. #
- 6:00pm bells. Only audible when the windows are open. #
- 1st season of CBC TV series Intelligence is The Wire. 2nd (and final) season is Prison Break. Schaun Tozer's score is strong throughout. #
- Stoller wheel picked up glass shard in another part of town. It was like a cover version of this from a few weeks back: http://bit.ly/mi9PDw #
- Excellent #netlabel development: newly created @kikapunetlabel account signals http://kikapu.org/ is nearing relaunch. #
- This @evernote "peek" iPad 2 Smart Cover app would be a cool format for Oblique Strategies: http://goo.gl/HJKLa #
- The iPad app I mentioned yesterday that is adding recording to its feature set is @nodebeat #
- Belated RIP, producer (Human League, Buzzcocks) Martin Rushent (b. 1948) http://goo.gl/OtKR3 via @geetadayal @compactrobot #
- RIP, Lebanese composer Walid Gholmieh (b. 1938); composed Iraq anthem (1979-2003), was on Gorillaz's Plastic Beach http://goo.gl/NmuL5 #
- RIP, Swedish drummer and Chet Baker alum Nils-Bertil Dahlander (b. 1928) #
- Happiness is when one of your favorite sound apps adds the ability to record. #
- Just noticed that the Shaolin Temple in my neighborhood has a sign out front that reads, simply, "Since 495 AD." #
- The municipal church bell that is the Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. #
- Current favorite "broken beat" filter is to let occasional Twitter @ mentions pause various audio-game apps running on my iPad. #
- Early patty-cake lessons with 9-month-old oddly reminiscent of early Steve Reich. #
- Inevitable realization that almost all my posts could be tagged #noiselife #
- Bjork mentions @reactable in new http://bjork.com/ HTML5 website statement. Interface suggests she's playing with @sonicwire. #
- I'm all in for composition-by-accrual, but not UI-by-accrual. I really need to give Disquiet.com a thorough visual cleansing. #
- Anyone recommend a more price-effective FTP service than sharefile.com and egnyte.com? #diycloud #
- RT @tobiasreber late night moment thought I heard tiny tinnitus. Turns out I just stood in right place/position to hear light bulb #twittear #
- RT @ooray Instant, jogging-synced tremolo from the in-ear phone bouncing in and out of my ear with every step. #naturaldsp #twittear #
- In cafe whose advertised selling points are in the negative: no wifi, no in-house music. Still, lots of us on cellphone-modem'd laptops. #
- RT @lydrummet Ben Burtt & Gary Rydstrom doing sound design on JJ Abrams' Super 8. That's like having John Lennon & Bob Dylan in same band. #
- Misread E3 report about Kinect-powered "virtual horse" as "virtual horse meat." … Cooking Mama Izakaya. #
- Copyright cops travel to 1700, arrest teen Bach for transcribing by hand complete book of keyboard works by Froberger, Kerll, and Pachelbel. #
- We appear to live in a world in which there's a Death Ray figurine http://goo.gl/c4RW7 but no Jack Hawksmoor one. via @superheronovels #
- Crazy. Such a basic tool. Tx. RT @linmu After long research NONE. if i know i have to annotate, convert epub to PDF & use Goodreader. #ebook #
- Is there an iPad ebook reader app that (1) exports notes (like Kindle app) & (2) has sync-less epub import (like iBooks app)? #
- RT @mapmap wonderful rolling sounds of thunder tonight in portland. #eartwit #
- Bring the #noiselife #
- RIP, Edwin Honig (b.1919), poet and early translator of Fernando Pessoa http://t.co/00aoyom #
- Afterdark sounds: trio for tow truck, rattling muffler, and hammer. #
- "Dream a Little Dream of Me" came on the cafe radio. It's 80 years old this year. Man, those changes. This will be my next ukulele project. #
- Happiness is when the band sends you soundboard MP3s of the show you just saw. Especially when you left mid-encore to catch the bus. #
- Door. #
- X-men movie is a lot of fun. Very pleased they used so much of the great Frank Quitely's visual template. #
- +$2.50 to Add Chicken Cutlet #shittywizardspells #
- Not quite sure what I think of "pay with a tweet" approach. Transparency is essential. "Payment" for that prior tweet was four ringtones. #
- I set on vibrate, but these ringtones are estimable for their simplicity. NB: tweet sponsored via @innothunder http://cleartones.net/ #
- Disappointed that @shazam fails to identify household appliances by their unique drones #noiselife #
- Calculate Tip #shittywizardspells #
- Vast amounts of work to do, but overwhelmed by urge to dig out old Steve Jackson micro-games. Rivets! Chitin! Ogre! G.E.V.! #
- Cloak of Rain Retardant #shittywizardspells #
- Hashtag Popularity Mirage #shittywizardspells #
- Dead Batteries #noiselife #shittywizardspells #
- RT @npseaver We know in certain circumstances the correct continuation of 2,4,6,8 is 10,12,14,16 while in others it's "who do we appreciate" #
- Increase Backpack Weight x2 #shittywizardspells #
- Explain Sports Reference #shittywizardspells #
- Renew Library Book #shittywizardspells #
- Hex Color Chart #shittywizardspells #
- Wrap in Mylar #shittywizardspells #
5 Most Recent Comments
disquiet: "Entirely my pleasure. I enjoyed it very much, in no small part because I remain very low on the OP-1..."
Nuun: "Hi Mark, I’m truly honored and surprised by your review of my track! Thanks for your carefull listening..."
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union. • 0243 / Synth Trial / The Assignment: Share the best track from your audition tape for Blade Runner 2.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice