- .@vuzhmusic Thanks. I'm glad you noticed. It's become a kind of "post test": is there a sentence or clause that stands on its own? #
- Wanna thank my 9-month-old for inspiring purchase of food mill, which has (beyond mulching peas) enabled a great olive tapenade #
- Local movie theater's marquee makes certain we know movies are shown "in 2D" #
- Current discussion: Comparing a synthesizer with a piano and a cello, what is an instrument in our post-laptop days? http://bit.ly/koXWxl #
- Added-on camera-lens glint in Super 8 was as much of the CGI budget as the monster. (And the model-painting comparison was a nice touch.) #
- Sounds of the day: ancient lady's rickety two-wheel cart on sidewalk, flag post attached to wood exterior wall creaking in light wind. #
- But: I like the idea of dancing about architecture. #
- "Closed Monday and Tuesday to make sausage." (Yanni's in Pengrove, CA) #
- Noon bells, heard from one block away. Clang -> echo -> memory. #
- The podcast/broadcast series @thetheradius is great, and I'm addicted to its brief, glitchy opening theme http://bit.ly/iCq6AB #
- Fully tired of the "small screen"/"big screen" euphemisms for TV/film. How about intimate/mass, domestic/public? #
- Stilll waiting for that Breakbeat Era reunion. #
- Based on initial test, the ""Stereo Output Distribution Machine" I purchased for $1.50 at Daiso is worth about $1.50. #
- .@DJ_Moderne Yeah, waveforms are like looking at the music's undergarments. #
- Playing a track in fast forward isn't the worst way to come to understand its structure. #
- Are people getting onto http://t.co/0idUMCu? Still seems down, from DDoS attack. I'm reading reports it's back up, but not for me. #
- Finished watching CBC's Intelligence. Solid. Actor Eugene Lipinski is a revelation. And Schaun Tozer's score is artfully economical. #
- What I'm talking about. RT @debcha I usually listen to locked groove on Peter Broderick's Home for at least ten minutes before moving needle #
- Bought a tidy headphone splitter. The Japanese packaging translation reads "Stereo Output Distribution Machine." #
- My friends: connoisseurs of their albums' blank spaces. RT @vuzhmusic I have a few really great run-out grooves that I've listened to a lot. #
- One sure sign of the mailbot-pocalypse: when the Rolex spam and the Viagra spam mate. #
- I like listening to vinyl, especially when all I'm listening to is the vinyl. #
- Justin Amrhein tech-illos at @mrgallery as of 6/25: part Geof Darrow, part Tom Ormond, part D-L Alvarez, & all-consuming http://goo.gl/UgtPc #
- The sculpture in my office is generative: the system (its form) yields countless poses. I will miss it when I return it to the artist. #
- Choreography, politics & music blamed for Rite of Spring "riot." Comments in this post show how fast story gets muddled http://goo.gl/KyVSg #
- The @gawker fake title for the new Transformers movie is splendid: Transfomers: Nothing but Noise and Light for Two Hours. #
- Trying to listen to field recordings of wolves, but continuously mistake what's heard as my kid waking and crying from the crib #
- the shrill bird outside / mellowed by computer fan / baby sleeps, for now #
- Will do. RT @GuyBirkin: @disquiet I request future sound Tweets in haiku form, e.g. "Noon duet: / boiling carrots / and fridge hum". #
- Noon duet for boiling carrots and fridge hum. #
- Major congrats to Boon Design, which turns 18 today: http://bit.ly/lt5zoa (Boon has collaborated on several Disquiet projects.) @boondesign #
- RIP, vocalist Carl Gardner (b. 1928) of the Coasters ("Yakety Yak," "Young Blood," "Searchin'") and, earlier, the Robins http://goo.gl/sCD7y #
- RIP, grindcore vocalist Seth Putnam (b. 1968) http://t.co/AjpJQwf #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0258 / Sonic Climate / Express your local weather in sound. • 0257 / Remember Noisevember / Make some noise. • 0256 / Music in Place / Record a short piece of music using the sounds around you. • 0255 / Capone’s Ghost / What does the banjo music of the fabled criminal sound like? • 0254 / Fog and Steam / Make music from two provided samples.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice