- Among the ironies of whole Jay Maisel / Kind of Bloop copyright fight is that few art forms before hip-hop were as appropriative as jazz. #
- When I see positive reviews of Dave Hickey's The Invisble Dragon, I wonder if there are two books by that name and I read the wrong one. #
- Man, I wanna get to Los Angeles this summer, now especially because I want to check out thewulf.org. #
- Morning sounds: shower, baby babble, broken beats. #
- Peter Falk has died. Time to cue up Wings of Desire. #
- RIP, composer Fred Steiner (b. 1923), who among other things wrote music for Star Trek and Twilight Zone. #
- The great Squiggle make-your-own-string-instrument app has had a thorough UI overhaul. #
- The Sound Cells app now syncs with midi, and has background sound support (i.e., listen while you read). #
- RT @mmaddencomics Jarmusch is hoping to convince Eno to score one of his next films. #
- If you play this library's HVAC system backwards, it sounds like Ronnie James Dio. #
- One hour and twenty minutes until a Manchurian feast. #
- Every time I use a conductive stylus on my iOS device, a fanboy angel loses his wings. #
- Nodame Cantabile & Zombies. #
- The "& Zombies" irony at library: just one person in view is reading a book. Everyone else? Newspapers, magazines, laptops, phones. #
- RT @dlb: @disquiet Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Zombies. #
- RT @DFelsenfeld: @disquiet The Origin of Consciousness and the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind and Zombies. #
- PHP & MySQL for Dummies & Zombies #
- The Mayo Clinic Book of Alternative Medicine & Zombies. #
- The Male Brain & Zombies. #
- Again mentally adding "& Zombies" to titles of books being read around me at the library: Exegetical Fallacies & Zombies. #
- Library doesn't open until 1pm, so I am writing at nearby donuts shop. Scene feels like Blade Runner if it had been drawn by Daniel Clowes. #
- Ai Weiwei is free: "I'm released, I'm home, I'm fine." http://t.co/B2GbJSA #
- Nice. How does it sound? @boondesign: Norwegian Foghorn @ E43 http://t.co/pjMI0Mz #
- Morning duet for ice clinking in coffee and foghorns. #
- I miss the interstitial score cues from NYPD Blue. #
- Detail from Robert Motherwell's painting "Music over Music," at the De Young Museum: http://ow.ly/i/diIp #
- Hey, Keith Fullerton Whitman joined on Twitter today. He's at @keithfwhitman #
- Think next year for Sketches of Sound on Disquiet, I may do Alvin Lucier tribute: Feb artist draws version of Jan artist's work, etc. … #
- Thanks to SL Gallant for drawing my new Twitter background. He draws a GI Joe comic series, and he's the son of late drummer Larrie Londin. #
- Thanks again to @brianhagen111 for providing my Twitter background original illustration this past month. New one up momentarily. #
- There have been a lot of Peter Gabriel references on @engadget lately. #
- My expectations for Green Lantern have been so exquisitely lowered that when I see it it will likely feel like The Godfather. #
- Skateboarder and bus pass by the cafe in unison, wheels small and large on concrete and tarmac. #
- Asking again, on chance more people are online: Is there such a thing as a 48"-wide upright acoustic piano? #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. You can hear multiple sirens start at slightly different times, exaggerating the sense of echo. #
- The day is so much more quiet when I opt to work on my netbook instead of my desktop. Really need to upgrade the beast to SSD. #
- Pre-midnight sounds: eerily distant traffic. #
- Father's Day highlights: dim sum at Mayflower on Geary; listening to my 9-month-old chirping in the De Young Museum and reveling in the echo #
- "A piano is 88 percussive devices, yet it's a single instrument." http://t.co/nWX870a #
- Stupid question: is there such a thing as a 48-inch-wide upright piano? #
- Copyright timecops cite painter Larry Rivers for basing his Last Civil War Veteran (1961) on photo from Life magazine two years earlier. #
- What is(n't) an "instrument"? RT @tobiasreber: I added some of my thoughts to this interesting @disquiet discussion: http://t.co/NqgeNux #
- Foghorns on a warm morning. #
- Apparently I have been on Twitter four years as of today. My first tweet: "Reading the Settings options." http://bit.ly/lL4BCc #
- Thanks! As you know, it's my first, and I couldn't be happier. RT @mapmap Happy father's day! #
- Oh, one more thing: #stravinsky #
- Excellent new Sketches of Sound entry next week, by artist who draws an ongoing GI Joe series. It'll be my Twitter background for the month. #
- Having one of those "I love the Internet" days. #
- Beauty of duet for solo string instrument and oscillators is how much they resemble each other. #
- Super 8 felt like the first post-Instagram movie. #
- Alarm will sound: "Not an exit." "It says 'Exit.'" "We do need a better sign." #
- What is (and isn't) an "instrument"? Is the term outmoded, or due for resuscitation? Discussion still going strong at http://t.co/pUN9gNO #
- Worth noting this library owes its existence to public vote in 1930 to approve additional taxes to fund construction. During the Depression. #
- Man, the community experience at a public library on (re)opening day is an amazing thing. #richmonddistrict #415 #anza #
- Anza Branch of SF Public Library has reopened after 2 years of work. Packed on opening day. Loud, especially by library standards. #
- Wondering what percentage of people wearing noise-canceling earbuds do so simply to mute the world. #
- My IM contact list must be the most peculiar and misleading artifact of my data exhaust. #
- Planning for my first father's day (well, first as a father). Dim sum, museum visit, ukulele time. #
- Next @greatdismal & Don DeLillo are shorts collections (non-ficton & fiction, respectively), & there's a new straight-to-English Lem/Solaris #
- My espresso buzz matches the buzzes I'm listening to. #noiselife #
5 Most Recent Comments
disquiet: "Entirely my pleasure. I enjoyed it very much, in no small part because I remain very low on the OP-1..."
Nuun: "Hi Mark, I’m truly honored and surprised by your review of my track! Thanks for your carefull listening..."
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union. • 0243 / Synth Trial / The Assignment: Share the best track from your audition tape for Blade Runner 2.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice