- Curation is a higher-level operation than collation, but when most people say curate they don't even mean something as demanding as collate. #
- 3:2:1 = rank of frequency I use Facebook, Twitter, and Soundcloud on my phone #
- 3:1:2 = rank of frequency I use Facebook, Twitter, and Soundcloud on my desktop #
- 692:375:279 = number of people I follow on Facebook, Twitter, and Soundcloud respectively #
- Your baby's voice fondly reminds you, at times, of bus brakes, tape delay systems, and old-school hip-hop #noiselife #
- RIP, Robert Morris (b. 1932), cryptographer , one of the developers of Unix, father of Robert Tappan Morris http://goo.gl/pBsH8 #
- Strange obituary formulations: "where he was living at his death." #
- No house is as loud as the one in which you are carrying a sleeping baby to its crib. #
- My 10-month-old continues to experiment with every possible verbal sound. Clicks are now passe. Current mode resembles backward masking. #
- Gulls cawing above the staticy simmer of a skillet thick with sausage and chicken. #
- Making jambalaya for friends who are about to have their first baby. #
- The conspiracy theory is the remix of history. #
- Euphonic coordination #
- For folks who haven't checked their WordPress(.org) installs recently, 3.1.4 is now available. #
- Anyone have a buddy @twitter who could help me obtain a never-used Twitter name that's been squatted for over a year? #
- My kid is 10 months old today. If you hear a foghorn, think of it as a slomo de-mix of "Happy Birthday." #
- New Sichuan spot in Richmond District. News not of interest to outside S.F., probably not outside the Richmond, but good news nonetheless. #
- That piece I wrote about Luciano Berio and our current oversensitivity to copyright issues has a new URL: http://goo.gl/cd9C2 #
- If you tried the @soundcloud app when it first was released, and then ditched it, I highly recommend giving it a try. Many improvements. #
- Man, Google Calendar is so much more a pleasure to work with thanks to this recent redesign. #
- Score to Star Wars is once removed from the experience of the theatergoer. Score to Halo is twice removed from the experience of the gamer. #
- Using Facetime on iPad 2 is so lo-rez it's a taste of the more low-rent server farms in Greg Egan's vision of the Singularity. #
- Wishing Murdoch would just turn MySpace into a non-profit and give it to Diaspora. #
- Would love to read descriptions of discussions that led to today's Google.com design changes as written by Nicholson Baker and David Mamet. #
- Noon siren makes every Tuesday in San Francisco feel like we're in a '50s sci-fi flick and Godzilla's got our back. #
- Experience suggests if you're out and about in SF on a Tues., the more expectant you are of the noon siren, the more likely you'll miss it. #
- My cable box doesn't get Channel Zero. #
- Office music is our business. RT @soundsurvivlist I concur on Saito Koji. "Count" has been soundtrack to my office most of the day. #
- De-corrupting ancient Eudora files is a lovely way to start a week. That & a VisiCalc mention earlier today has me checking what year it is. #
- People are really digging the Saito Koji on Resting Bell. This is excellent. #
- Afternoon audiostream: slow-building orchestral drone oomph by Vanessa Rossetto: http://bit.ly/ifQtwD #
- If you do the Facebook, there's a Disquiet.com "page" you might "Like": http://on.fb.me/lR2TYe #
- Dear Hive Mind: A friend bought an old piano. Any tips for books/DVDs/etc. for learning to play? (For him now — for me down the road.) #
- Dear Hive Mind: If Thunderbird launches (Win7) like it was a brand new program, having forgotten your profile, how do you re-import profile? #
- It's nice to imagine a near future in which someone can say that the pulse is the new drone. #
- In Sacramento I heard trains. In New Orleans I heard boats along the Mississippi. In San Francisco, I don't hear transport. I hear foghorns. #
- Watching Leverage, knowing John Rogers tried to make a Global Frequency show, I can't help associate Eliot with the Authority's Midnighter. #
- There are few buzz kills like a massive block of multi-page text smack dab in the middle of a comic book. #
- If it's broken beats don't fix it. #
- If the individual typing madly to my left is not writing a space opera I will eat my iPod. #
- When my kid is a teen and the 2000s are the rage, some nifty Shonen Jump jackets wait in the closet. #
- The Eyeball Kid, Maximortal, A1, Peepshow, Caliber Presents, Grendel, Hutch Owens. So many long boxes. Bang! Pow! Oy! #
- So many boxes of old comics. Really must sort out what to do with them, aside from take up space. #
- When I finish everything I need to today, Darwyn Cooke's second volume of his Parker adaptation will be my reward. #
- More than anything he's released before, Brian Eno's forthcoming Drums Between the Bells sounds like he recorded it while in his PJs. #
- Amazing comments on posts about Kind of Bloop / Jay Maisel melee; many read ill intent, even plagiarism, into something clearly affectionate #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice