- RIP, bossa nova composer Billy Blanco (b. 1924). #
- I'm now on Google+, but my cereal tastes the same. #
- RT @vuzhmusic Saw this headline, thought it was a @disquiet post: Tender Noise-Sensing & Mapping the Ambient Noise in SF http://t.co/KlnI5Ak #
- When unsubscribing from Madonna's email newsletter, you're asked why. One option is "Not interested in material." No girl, just material. #
- People selling shovels made the real fortunes during the Gold Rush. The infrastructure-heavy Web 2.0 feels like a Virtual Shovel Gold Rush. #
- Accidentally used the Long message option in TweetDeck. Had no intention to, and won't again. 140 characters is more than enough to … #
- When "Budweiser Opening Act PResents" (perhaps the cap R is purposeful?) gets in touch via MySpace it may finally be time to end the account #
- Afternoon sounds: the simultaneous whirs of a distant motorcycle, an airplane, and the desktop computer fan. #
- The peculiar gray area in comment moderation: between "not appearing like you're trying to have the last word… (cont) http://deck.ly/~97NPz #
- Many images of goats being prepped for dinner have been added to my short story on the execution of Mexican Emperor Maximilian goo.gl/P8E9X #
- One possible benefit of data-visualization craze: by making numbers "pretty" it may reduce the numbers=facts/words=opinion prejudice. #
- We're discussing what might make @soundcloud even better and whether it is cloud-based "Pay to Play": http://goo.gl/JOJiW #
- Tasty evening beats: cowboy electronica from @pauladaunt http://bit.ly/qmlqoV #
- Sorting books. So many by DeLillo, Auster, (Joanna) Scott, Ellroy, (Mark) Strand. Volumes of poetry just because Auster edited them. #
- I own two books on Rube Goldberg (one by Marzio, the other by Keller), both of them awkwardly horizontal. #
- RT @gurdonark I've become a huge believer in the 5-minute animated short, accompanied only by music. #
- Even as a huge admirer of Dennis Potter, I've had enough TV musicals. I'd like more silent television. #
- Mass PR emails don't kill people. Being asked repeatedly why you didn't reply to a mass emailing can lead to health disorders. #
- Upgraded to WordPress 3.2. #
- Banana chips sound like poker chips. #
- RT @geetadayal Tip for bands: Sending your album to me as a zip file encoded at bitrate 128 is not a good way to get your record reviewed #
- Wishing someone would make an animated GIF of the cover of Africa HiTech's album 93 Million Miles. #
- In a few moments, the hard drives will be silenced for the night. It's the sonic equivalent of drinking cold sparkling water. #
- Previous comment was an interesting addition to our ongoing music/photography discussion: http://goo.gl/GsDzf #
- "There are hundreds of variables being considered at any moment, much like a great solo from an improvising jazz musician" goo.gl/GsDzf #
- I'd ask if there's a spam filter in WordPress to delete "So-and-so already did that" comments, but I assume someone has already asked. #
- The creator of Otomata says: RT @earslap Send me your favorite Otomata pieces and I'll include them in the upcoming iOS version #
- Kind of Blew #
- The Kind of Bloop thing isn't "music vs photography." It's "original music composition vs portrait photography that's commercial packaging." #
- Kind of a bummer: Android's default browser doesn't animate animated GIFs? #
- The first indignity of death is when people learn your true full name. Goodbye, Edwin Parker (Cy) Twombly, Jr. #
- RIP, visual artist and onetime Army cryptographer Cy Twombly (b. 1928). #
- The foghorns today have that "Zeus left his cellphone on vibrate" vibe. #
- Mono.Kultur's ECM iPad mag-app is nice, especially being free, but 334MB seems excessive: http://t.co/vJNDEpy (App rec via @benjamindauer) #
- July 5 is when we celebrate random percussion in the US, as revelers slowly wake and fire off their remaining works. #
- From inside my home in San Francisco the fireworks outside sound like a New Orleans thunderstorm without the rain. #
- Another regular event I hope to check out next time I am in Los Angeles: http://mm-cc.org/ #
- Every July 4, the Dave Alvin song kicks on in my head and doesn't stop until bed. It's now playing (internally) as of a minute ago. #
- I'll say this for Bandcamp, it's nifty that if you jump from a track on an album page to the track's page, it picks up where it left off. #
- "When in the course of events it's necessary for people to dissolve bands that connected them and recombine them as samples" #altdeclaration #
- "Whenever any Government becomes destructive, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, remix it or mash it up" #altdeclaration #
- "all men are created equal … endowed by Tyler, the Creator, with certain unalienable Rights" #altdeclaration #
- Speaking of independence, short fictions I wrote about short-lived emperor of Mexico, Maximilian: http://t.co/fWhSfKQ & http://t.co/EOxqCq8 #
- Days leading up to July 4 are more enjoyable from sound standpoint, occasional bursts of distant hard white noise. Well, when it's distant. #
- The lovely @NodeBeat generative music app for #ios by @sethsandler & @soulwire is free through July 4: http://goo.gl/3qioK #
- Typing "Beastie" into @SoundCloud and hitting play isn't a bad way to spend an afternoon. #
- 500+:435:38 = number of groups on @soundcloud whose names include, respectively, the words "house," "experimental" and "drone" #
- You will not hate yourself, or me, for going to http://bit.ly/lAGIbQ & clicking on the 5th track. Glitchy poppy scintillating. #
- .@vuzhmusic Glad to chip in. "Curate" is a useful word that's being rendered useless due to rampant misuse. #
- Who's working out needed changes to copyright law in advance of the Singularity? #
- Blade Stroller #budgetnoir #
- Pick Up Stix on South Street #budgetnoir #
- The Inbox Always Beeps Twice #budgetnoir #
- The Short Nap #budgetnoir #
- The Maltese Tweet #budgetnoir #
- Chinese Takeout #budgetnoir #
- Hey, Bandcamp's embed player isn't breaking my site's HTML anymore. Maybe it wasn't my site's fault all along? #
- If you dig old signs, follow @susangrayblue — she is driving from Nashville to San Francisco and yfrogging great shots. #
- "though I’m loath to view myself as an activist, I might accept the idea of being a catalyst" –David Byrne http://goo.gl/iZPHA #wordchoice #
- Know astrophysics? Help @defjaf identify men in old photo shot at Mark I telescope at Jodrell Bank: http://goo.gl/9uulF #
- Technically it's not raining on Soundcloud. It's pouring. So much music. #
- I heard the weatherman say / Be well, be happy and gay / but on @soundcloud it is raining http://t.co/Xy8yZo0 #
- It's sunny outside without one cloud in the sky, but on @soundcloud it's raining http://t.co/5XmtyCo (thanks to @wcraghead) #
5 Most Recent Comments
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
Monsterovich: "https://soundcloud.com/losttal entgroup Join us if you want normal groups back. "
spacebox720: "Hi, I’m spacebox720 and i stumbled over your article. I really enjoyed and would like to say..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union. • 0243 / Synth Trial / The Assignment: Share the best track from your audition tape for Blade Runner 2.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice