- Piece I wrote recently. RT @SactownMagazine Need reading material? Read our piece on Charlie Peacock. Here he is w/ Bono twitpic.com/5kvdm1 #
- RIP, violin teacher and critic (and, also, friend) Edith Eisler (b. 1925) http://t.co/SInmCPw via @operafella #
- File under "If I were in Tokyo": Maciunas/Fluxus exhibit at Gallery 360 Degrees: http://bit.ly/qiV55w (Events/concert, too.) #
- If you don't use Thunderbird or Outlook in Windows 7, please tell me what you use. Thanks. #
- Glad I didn't hit # while on hold with @godaddy — they're playing Squirrel Nut Zippers, missing whom is like being nostalgic for nostalgia. #
- Thank you, @godaddy: "If you would like to remain on hold without music, press pound now." #
- Feels like there have been a lot of albums about the death of the album (via @quietdesign) #
- Gotta love emails from avant-ambient musicians that end with "keep rocking." #noiselife #
- IT just replied "one setting was not correct" rather than "here's some additional information." Someone call the Nobel Peace Prize committee #
- Final post on Warhol Initiative dinner I wrote short stories for: http://goo.gl/EyFTT The stories: http://goo.gl/2PYRJ http://goo.gl/P8E9X #
- #ff @keithfwhitman @johnxela @tomcomitta @operafella @bwhitman @kimcascone (people who have fewer "followers" than me, & that's just stupid) #
- Current "iTunes + Quicktime" update for Windows 7 seems big at 40.91 MB but that's about 1/3 the size of a 320kbps full-length album of MP3s #
- One way to deal with frequent Flash updates is to interpret them as good omens. #protip #
- My kid may have come to associate morning with not just the sun rising but with the Windows 7 startup sound. #
- Listening to individual distant motorcycles roaming the city after midnight, as if Akira had been staged by Samuel Beckett. #
- Far as I can tell, I am sitting between Russian playing-card divination and Chinese-scroll authentication. #richmonddistrict #415 #
- Space shuttle is over, but astronaut-themed Shonen Jump series ST&RS has just begun. In English here http://t.co/xWetA9V via @SASAKI_Hisashi #
- White Collar's HP product placement worked in reverse. When I see HP laptops, all I think is: White Collar. #
- "Music" papers in Paper Shop of Penultimate iOS app have me wondering how to employ them in riff on Christian Marclay's Graffiti Composition #
- When I get a new batch of Twitter sexbot followers, it's a race to introduce them to generative music before they're wiped from the system. #
- Bummer. Dude at the cafe who always sat still while watching videos on his iPod Touch has bought a proper MacBook. End of an era. #
- I'd like to place an order, please, for a mash-up of DJ Khaled's "I'm So Hood" and Celtic Frost's "I Won't Dance." #
- .@dizzybanjo Here's a pretty sweet circuit-bent toy-rat music-thing by Tom (Univac) Koch: http://t.co/u128NU1 #
- We called them suites before we called them mixtapes. #
- I have killed another pair of earbuds. Do earbuds fear me, or mock me? I will assume mock. #
- I deal with some good music publicists, but majority email every release to everyone in their Roledex with some faux-familiar opening. #
- Sadly, old Russian guys aren't playing dominoes outside cafe. That & abacus-style counter they use is great part of neighborhood soundscape. #
- This looks promising: http://t.co/lGyknZK (Site dedicated to collating news items about game audio.) via @sepulchra #
- Few things speak to still nascent state of social media as the concert invitation that lists street address but not city name. #
- Glad the cover to Steve Reich's WTC 9/11 makes sure we don't mistake it for being about, you know, a different WTC 9/11. #
- RT @phillamarr: #SDCC The only place anyone should ever be asked: "who are you wearing?" #
- Already got my first "it's not dubstep" communication, from @tobiasreber. #
- Maybe at this point musicians releasing electronic music should only label it when it isn't "dubstep." #
- Tending to Google+ feels like prepping a Yugioh card deck. #
- Nice Jesse Baggs post on development of sketch for my Twitter background, including '60s photo of his dad playing drums http://bit.ly/oBbCIh #
- Past two months' entries in the Disquiet.com Sketches of Sound series were by guys whose dads played drums. #conspiracy #
- RIP, graphic designer Alex Steinweiss (b. 1917), early developer of the album jacket http://t.co/b9MbDjf #
- My new Twitter background is by Sacramento-based cartoonist Jesse Baggs, of hardpressedink.com. #
- Thanks, G.I. Joe illustrator S.L. Gallant for drawning my Twitter background this past month: http://t.co/YaQO1Am New background up shortly. #
- Something is rotten in the state of IMAP. #
- Sichuan for lunch, Persian for dinner. #
- Hardest part of essay I just wrote wasn't how writing it felt like I was doing a puzzle. It was making it not read like I was doing a puzzle #
- I'm electrosensitive only to the extent that I don't appreciate nostalgically mechanistic dance music. Cc @GlennF #
- To anyone (publicist or musician) sending me mail in New Orleans, I haven't lived there since August 2003. #
- Noon Tuesday siren in San Francisco on busy street. No one looks up. Bells toll a minute later, having waited their turn. #
- Apparently "pie in one's face" is a more easily understandable invasion of personal space than "stranger listening to one's voice mail." #
- "Audio Captcha" sounds like it could be the name of an Adrian Sherwood side project. #
- Remembering what Dennis Potter named his cancer. #
- Every time I come across a "Drones Over Yemen" news story I mistakenly think it's about Middle Eastern electronic music. #
- When a movie (or TV series) is made about Murdoch/Brooks/Fox conflagration, it's pretty clear @robinrimbaud should score it. #
- Cool news: Bjork has a free new app. Less cool: First thing it appears to do is suggest you purchase a $1.99 app. #
- .@eleona Thanks for the #WorldListeningDay hashtag tip. #
- World Listening Day reports. RT @opticecho for WLD I've got a mic outside recording the street noise during my ambient radio show ;) #
- Today was World Listening Day. Tell me: What did you hear? (More on WLD 2011, July 18, here: http://t.co/BJkPlCX.) #
- Today was World Listening Day, but sadly Google News lists just two news stories: http://t.co/Wcc2WiQ #
- The new Amon Tobin is pretty great unless you play it in your car while you might think the car has mechanical issues. #
- Not drowning, syncing. #
- The Xeric Grant and Borders are both dead, both of them strong forces for comics. What a strange, sad week it is for comics. #
- Sorry to learn of end of Xeric Grants: http://aol.it/q3mI5t Never fully agreed with funding approach, but it had a great list of recipients. #
- A relative reports that she's taking a Stony Brook class on social media & the professor's lecture today included a tweet of mine. Crazy. #
- Been giving feedback on in-progress music apps. Draws on parallels & complementary aspects from my time in comics editing & music criticism. #
- Afternoon ambient-haze audio stream courtesy of Chihei Hatakeyama: http://goo.gl/XHHq3 Album due out Aug 1. #
- Pictures of book covers are a useful reference, but what I could really use much of the time is pictures of spines of books I'm looking for. #
- Really enjoyed the BBC series State of Play. Staging its sequel now as reality television is genius. #
- Loving the idea of the term "Singularity" having been (ab?)used so much that it has "transcended" meaning. via @bengo #
- Saying you found something "on the Internet" is like saying you found something "on the planet." #
- Mona Lisa in 140 "circles of color" http://t.co/YsSnKyx via @jeanklare referencing issues we discussed re: Kind of Bloop http://t.co/npFpwGY #
- Goat tacos for lunch, chaat for dinner, @oaklandmuseumca in between. #eastbayday #
- Buck-fifty goat tacos on International Blvd in Oakland. #
- Just another day at the ambient beach. RT @jredsmyth rinsing the saltwater off your piezos after a day at the beach #noiselife #
- Good day. Visits to @sfmoma & @ybca, then picked up recent Botanist (Tumult) & Natural Yogurt Band (Now Again) CDs at @aquariusrecords. #
- There are no doubt worse ways to die than in the midst of one's devices slowly syncing, but right now they don't occur to me. #
- Had no idea Ragovoy wrote all those songs, whose shared sense of repetition made for some of my earliest proto-drone-rock experiences. #
- RIP, songwriter Jerry Ragovoy (b. 1930): "Time Is on My Side," "Piece of My Heart," "Try (Just a Little Bit Harder)" http://goo.gl/hlIHn #
- "Hook and loop tape." Things we say when we mean Velcro™. #
- What's great about drone-oriented group improvisation is the ensemble's implicit agreement to be less than the sum of its parts #
- Closest thing I have to a diary is looking back at my tweets each Saturday when my Disquiet.com automatically collects them as a single post #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice