- The recently deceased Gene McDaniels' widely sampled Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse: http://t.co/im6uoDn (via @tones) #
- RIP, singer and songwriter Gene McDaniels (b. 1935), sampled by Tribe Called Quest, Beastie Boys, Organized Konfusion. #
- Making apple soda from light slurry left over after making apple sauce for my 11-month-old. #
- Never been much of a radio listener, music-wise. Pandora/Spotify/Rhapsody feel like radio. Soundcloud/Bandcamp feel like crate-digging. #
- The appearance of the phrase "Thanks for the add" on any social network is a sure sign of a fatal flaw in the architecture of that network. #
- Modern glyphs: these few lines mean one carne asada taco and one regular chicken taco at Cancun on Mission http://ow.ly/i/eZDa #415 #
- .@dpnem Such a hassle. I'm not home, and I have a Soundcloud-sourced MP3 I'd like to listen to on the bus. Shouldn't be this hard. #
- 1. Waste phone's battery. 2. Bypass iPod sync with slow wifi file manager? 3. Purchase *third* portable music player (e.g., SanDisk)? #oy #
- Tonight's urban-walk score: Miles Davis' "Shhh/Peaceful" stretched by @Le_Berger 50% longer than original http://t.co/CLFlpuB via @vuzhmusic #
- "New Tab with Clock" Chrome extension is nice, though each new tab opens with sudden urgency of sequence from TV show 24 http://t.co/IiS7ub8 #
- Digging music-free environment of Borderlands on Valencia, all the better to enjoy the sounds of HVAC, street noise, and construction. #415 #
- I'm participating in an 8/3 #415 talk at @gaffta with @rddy (of @eyebeamnyc) & @lucmeier (of @swissnexsf) & @barrythrew: http://goo.gl/IrlN1 #
- RIP, Japanese electronic musician Rei Harakami (b. 1970), via @moskitoo_land & @taylordeupree #
- Foghorns tonight sound like cellos tuning up before a symphony begins. Fog season is upon us. #415 #
- Hard to tell where the 9am bells at Sonoma State end and where the campus-wide HVAC hum begins http://ow.ly/i/eVcn #
- Dunno if @bandcamp "related tags" are human- or algorithm-generated, but "Russian Federation" rightly comes up as related tag to "downtempo" #
- First time in months I wasn't in San Francisco for the Tuesday noon siren. #
- Enjoying my little Acer netbook but its name (Aspire — as in "I aspire to a MacBook Air"?) and logo really need a decal cover. Suggestions? #
- Mid-morning sounds (library edition): Low-level HVAC, footsteps, shuffling paper. Only people heard talking are librarians. #
- Goodnight #noiselife everywhere #
- "Super Fly" off Zoo Keeper by DZA is what would happen if Naked City made hip-hop: http://t.co/131W9dY #
- People trying to add my disquiet.com email ID to Google+, but I use my gmail.com one. Sorting it out feels more complicated than it should. #
- .@primusluta Yeah, a fun and useful comparison. So, who is the most Brakhage-like music producer? #
- Splice studies continue RT @gregdavismusic: @disquiet Brakhage probably made more splices in one short film than 10 years worth of hiphop #
- Smart commenter connects hip-hop beat splices to experimental films of Stan Brakhage: http://t.co/Z9mbzB7 #
- RIP, Fran Landesman (b. 1927), lyricist of "Nothing Like You," which was like nothing else on Miles Davis' album Sorcerer. #
- James Gleik suggests Poe found perfect epigraphs by making them up: http://bit.ly/ocUbqe There's a lesson somewhere in there for samplers. #
- Different bus stop, different harmonica player. Something is up. #415 #
- Low-key breakbeats in my headphones combining nicely with clarinet rendition of "I'm in the Mood for Love" on the cafe stereo. #
- Listening to instrumental edit of Back to Black. RIP, Amy Winehouse (b. 1983). #
- Ecstatic harmonica at the bus stop, short-statured guy with bike-chain bracelet and massive fanny-pack. #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice