- RIP, Jack J. Hayes (b. 1919), longtime screen composer (Virginian), orchestrator (Incredibles), conductor (Taxi Driver) http://t.co/cZYa4jV #
- Completed The Gate, currently playing OASIS, looking forward to T'Rain. #
- Heard from @banabila after writing about his vocal cut-up work. Added some information about his process to the post: http://t.co/2IuvlIk #
- Assuming it's a coincidence there's an Another Earth ad on the @nytimes page with a Budd Hopkins obituary. #
- Alphas may be the most sound-oriented TV drama this side of Fringe. #
- Wondering when all the moralizing pundits who blast rap- and rave-associated violence will start slamming professional sports. #
- Parsing 2000-plus emails accumulated during my two-week break. Fighting impulse for another PR-corrective tweet. #
- Excited to read Chihei Hatakeyama performs in Brisbane tonight. Then learned it was the one in Australia, not California. #sadmarc #
- Back in the CSU Sonoma library, whose third floor is splendidly labeled a "Text Only Zone." (Referring to phones, not books.) #
- Main reason I traded up from a TRS-80 to the "classic" Mac was because the latter was "portable." Man, remember that backpack? #lol #sadmac #
- First thing I did on my first Mac (1984) was try to reproduce Tom Phillips' inside-jacket art from King Crimson's Starless and Bible Black. #
- Thinking about my first Mac (the "classic"), which I bought freshman year of college when my TRS-80 had run its course. #
- Hate the genre, not the band. #
- Man, bassist Cliff Burton died a quarter century ago this coming September 27. #metallica #
- Great to have taken a two-week Twitter/Disquiet break. And great to be back. Brain and ears cleansed. #
- Sparkplug publisher Dylan Williams faces cancer. Support him by supporting Sparkplug. I recommend Shiga's Bookhunter: http://t.co/IqNYP78 #
- Madama Butabara #baconoperas #
- Satyagraham #baconoperas #
- Third week in a row I've missed the Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. First two in NY, now in Sonoma. #
- Back home in San Francisco after two weeks, welcomed by fog horns. #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound." • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice