- I'll be at San Francisco Zinefest Saturday. If we run into each other, I'll have minicomics of the Disquiet.com Sketches of Sound series. #
- PR emails that begin "Hello %$firstname$%" are my favorite. #
- Turned off a drone MP3 only for the world's drones — a plane, the dryer, the fridge, and on and on — to become all the more apparent. #
- Synaesthesia, quantum physics, secular beatification: more on my Nature piece about the Richard Feynman graphic novel: http://t.co/ogFIULl #
- Current worst trend in email PR: use of false "Re:" in a subject line to suggest existence of prior related communication. #
- This month's free University of Chicago ebook is The Score, one of the great hardboiled Parker novels by Westlake/Stark http://t.co/GxHowPJ #
- The new (9/1) issue of Nature features my interview with the author of the new Richard Feynman graphic novel: http://t.co/WS1Qr0R (paywall) #
- Is there a Mylar app I can use to protect my overpriced "digital day-and-date" e-comics? #
- Today's my wife's first "gave-birth-day." Which is to say, our kid was born a year ago today. The closer one listens, the slower time flies. #
- Learned that the soda drone posted yesterday was from a Sprite Zero bottle. Helpful liner note detail. http://t.co/3rC9oOg #
- Love emails that go: "Here is a drone I made using only the sound of me blowing air through a 20 oz plastic soda bottle" http://t.co/3rC9oOg #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco amid chatter and clatter of Sichuan restaurant. #
- Synthesis is virtual foley. #
- Guessing the amount of battery life gained by experimenting with Ubuntu to my Win7 netbook will equal the time required to master it. #
- Morning sounds: outside fog matches white-noise buzz of desktop computer's fan and hard drive. #
- Typewriter pecked at from neighboring room at SF Public Library. Walls covered by Hamilton/Chamberlain mural made from old catalog cards #
- ResophNotes hasn't been updated since December 2010. Windows needs a more competitive @simplenoteapp environment. #
- Occasional reminder: If you do the Facebook, there's a Disquiet.com "page" you might "Like": http://t.co/ITTLdrf #
- I remember asking circa 1989 why Metallica wasn't on a Willner or Zorn tribute LP. Was told their management didn't think it was a good idea #
- Lou Reed + Metallica + Hal Willner? Very much looking forward to November 1 of this year, which is when their album Lulu is released. #
- RIP, Japanese voice actor Junpei Takiguchi (b. 1931), who was both the Millennium Earl in the D.Gray-Man anime & Grandpa in the Simpsons dub #
- Sure sign you've reached a deep level of phone tech support: there is no hold music, just silence. #
- Five films on sound in Berkeley @BAMPFA this September: http://t.co/ROOH9j1 #
- Thanks to Caesar Meadows of New Orleans (& @jigsawjct) for drawing my current Twitter background, up all month. More at http://t.co/P0BKRHf #
- RIP, music critic and Detroit chronicler Dan Sicko (42), author of Techno Rebels: The Renegades of Electronic Funk #
- Evening sounds: foghorn in impromptu duet with plane buzzing overhead. #
- The next "Sketches of Sound" image for my Twitter background is pretty darn funny. Goes live later today. #
- Potato tacos look like Minecraft http://t.co/GCrNZcy #
- Another great iOS sound app diversifies. RT @NodeBeat: The Android version of NodeBeat is currently in the beta testing phase. #
- Afternoon sounds: phone conversation muffled by wall, the percussion of baby toys, washing-machine rumble. #
- New Christian Marclay exhibit opens at Fraenkel Gallery in SF on Sept 8. Runs through Oct 29. He's also playing at SFMEF this year. #415 #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice