- Looking forward to the Fluxus event at SOMArts tonight featuring Alison Knowles and Hannah Higgins. #
- Ben Barry, Everett Katigbak & Matteo Bologna were highlights of yesterday's Brand New Conference. Fluid, improvisational, dense, obsessive. #
- Channeled my complaints about the music-PR-email deluge into something constructive: http://t.co/3Vy3RUg0 #
- After episode featuring man with dolphin-quality echolocative ability, Alphas has tied Fringe as most sonically conscious drama on TV. #
- Shareware shout out to SimpleNote, ResophNotes, WinSplit Revolution, Trillian, Chrome, Thunderbird, Orzeszek Timer. #
- Sometimes a single feature added to a familiar piece of software can make it feel like you have a whole new laptop. #
- ResophNotes, the SimpleNote application for Windows, now supports pinned notes. This is very good news. #
- Earbud multi-source cabling: Anyone got a line on something like this http://t.co/w3gVKDH3 but with three, maybe four, inputs? #
- Evening sounds: bus coming to a stop, paper being moved around, typing, laptop hard drive and fan (really need to switch over to SSD). #
- Still getting used to saying things like "I have only 18% left to go in this book I am reading." #
- "Coyotes Provide Soundtrack to Theater in Griffith Park": http://t.co/tPDbY31 #
- Good to break burritos today with @TomComitta in Dolores Park. Now thinking about Unicode poetry, guerrilla opera, and more burritos. #
- Commitment means setting your wifi to auto-connect. #
- First time hearing Winehouse since initial flurry following death. Man, what a voice. And how Ronson's exquisite artifice contrasts with it. #
- RIP, banjo pioneer Wade Mainer (b. 1907): http://t.co/KywtU9i #
- If there's a Lego Bionicles Camp, there really should be a Fluxus Camp. #noiseparent #noiselife #
- If we all chipped in 50 cents, would the cafe turn down the music? Maybe for a buck turn it off? #crowdsource #
- RIP, French DJ Mehdi (aka Mehdi Favéris-Essadi, b. 1977), who's worked with Daft Punk, MC Solaar, Futura 2000, Asian Dub Foundation & others #
- Tuesday noon siren while reading Feed, the zombie novel by Mira Grant. #
- Battery: 70%. Headphones: 40%. Day: 96%. #
- RIP, influential cultural musicologist Christopher Small (b. 1927): http://t.co/unG77PG #
- Today's cafe music is one of those stations playing musicians covering their own hits later in life, many recorded with royalties in mind. #
- Hi, Hive. Any way in Windows 7 to instruct the system to allocate additional memory to a specific Chrome extension? #
- 9/11 means 10 years ago in a few days I saw Alex Chilton play NOLA's Howlin' Wolf. Tiny crowd tensed whenever police car lights flashed by. #
- RIP, early trance/ambient musician Barry Craig, aka A Produce. Discussion: http://t.co/jv1NOYg Obituary: http://t.co/azQnc5u #
- RIP, Bill Kunkel (b. 1950), one of the earliest video-game journalists: http://t.co/Xkk5Jp7 #
- Congrats to the great netlabels @dustedwax & Resting Bell for reaching 100th-release milestone: http://t.co/Bv3wxYL http://t.co/NEsALdb #
- RIP, Charles Dubin (b. 1919), TV director whose M*A*S*H episodes included one with "silent" soldier with damaged throat http://t.co/FzRf0xQ #
- RIP, Sparkplug Comics publisher and comics artist Dylan Williams. Gotta dig up the strip you did for me back in 1997. #
- My one-year-old sang along to the garbage disposal. #noiselife #musiquedameublement #
- AT&T has confirmed some Internet outages in the broadly defined SF Bay Area. #took3hours2get2techsupport #
5 Most Recent Comments
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
Monsterovich: "https://soundcloud.com/losttal entgroup Join us if you want normal groups back. "
spacebox720: "Hi, I’m spacebox720 and i stumbled over your article. I really enjoyed and would like to say..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union. • 0243 / Synth Trial / The Assignment: Share the best track from your audition tape for Blade Runner 2.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice