- Far as I can tell, the sonic fun of the season premiere of Fringe was solely Walter growing an ear in his lab. #
- That's what I'm talking about RT @EdieBushwick Theo Parrish doing "Trouble Man"/"Super Fly"; Philip Jeck doing "Once Upon a Time in America" #
- The neutrinos in my neighborhood are getting all "look what we did." #
- Pavement paraphrase: netlabels start up each & every day, I saw another one just the other day, a special new netlabel: http://t.co/rUJ8f8qt #
- RIP, guitarist John Du Cann (b. 1950), of Atomic Rooster, and other bands. #
- Musicians should cover film scores. Like to hear Scanner do Code 46, DJ Krush do Blade Runner, Battles do Requiem for a Dream. #
- At the start of the Person of Interest pilot, I kept waiting for Jim Caviezel's character to reveal himself to be the Sub-Mariner. #
- Someone's cellphone on the quiet floor of the library squeals the "smells of elderberries" line from Monty Python, and no one even looks up. #
- ♪ Afternoon audio stream: Rhythmic, downtempo, blippy "London Stock Exchange": http://t.co/NVS3i8fZ #
- What a difference upping RAM from 1GB to 2 makes on a netbook. Highly recommended. As Paul McCartney sang, "Soon right away, right away." #
- The theme song to the TV series Alphas should be David Bowie's "Oh! You Pretty Things." #
- New 'Dragon Tattoo' trailer lacks Zep cover but has Reznor/Ross score RT @trent_reznor: taste of what we've been up to http://t.co/C9vwU5iJ” #
- Not so much Scylla and Charybdis as foghorn and baby's breathing. #
- Why does Outlook appear to use about 1/3 the memory of Thunderbird? #win7 #
- The Who-song miniatures that open the CSI TV shows aren't remixes. They're reductions, the bouillon cubes of pop music. #
- If DC Comics or Marvel ran network TV, there'd be a crossover week in which Ted Danson appeared on every show. #
- Wasn't looking at TV but heard commercial for what I thought was Apple, in which woman says, "It just works." Turns out it was Advil. #
- Sometimes I forget that "The Sheltering Sky" by King Crimson doesn't have lyrics, the solo is so melodious. #
- First time listening to Gang Starr when I had momentarily forgotten Guru had passed. #micgladiator #
- Finished Mira Grant's Deadline (and Feed). In advance of Blackout (due June 2012), what of hers should I read next? #
- When a band no longer lives in close proximity or plays regularly are they really "together"? What's a band "trial separation"? #
- ♪ Afternoon audio stream: midtempo synth pulses at http://t.co/F2EuXPb4 #
- Cool to hear it applied to different music. RT @ThicketApp just released FREE version of Thicket for NYC SONiC festival http://t.co/XT7ziZN0 #
- Another season of NCIS, another semi-surreptitiously placed Venetian Snares poster. #
- Tonight's incidental music: whir, rattle & beep of PG&E cherry picker outside our front window helping neighbors get back their electricity. #
- Dearest Thunderbird, you've caught a case of iTunes-itis. Please speed up and trim down. Devotedly, win7boy15 #
- After a week of working solely on a laptop, the desktop's whir makes it feel like writing on an airplane. Steve Reich is masking the noise. #
- Thought I was being hyperbolic with my "what's wrong with PR" piece http://t.co/3Vy3RUg0 Just got another email with no descriptive text. #
- Dear living room console, even though you are equipped for 5.1 surround sound, you'll always be the stereo to me. #
- Finished Mary Davis' survey of the life of Erik Satie, who taught us the cure for love: play his Vexations 840 times. http://t.co/l1dWmghk #
- Imagining Samuel Johnson's @kickstarter campaign to cover research & publication of his dictionary. #
- I've got foghorns on a sunny day. When it's warm outside I've got the month of September. #
- Skype: powered by grandparents. #
- Headphones: 6%. Day: 52%. Battery: 85%. #
- Cliff Martinez's score for Contagion is often quite JD Emmanuel. #
- Copyright Timecops arrest Erik Satie for lifting theme from "Mon Rocher de Saint-Malo" for his "Holothuria." #
- The dehumidifier sounds as if there's a massive swarm of insects outside the house. Like if white noise was a horror movie. #
- White House had Fluxus hero Alison Knowles at poetry night with Common & Ubuweb's Goldsmith. Son-in-law: Deputy Social Secretary Reinstein. #
- Perhaps first Wikipedia entry with photo taken at event where I was present http://t.co/BLXSUR3O (Fluxus progeny/chronicler Hannah Higgins) #
- Evening duet for dripping coffee and dehumidifier (car alarm remix). #
- Evening duet for dripping coffee and dehumidifier. #
- A Fluxus event's effectiveness can be gauged by how long after it ends you still read street signs as instructions for musical performance. #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice