- The em-dash followed by the open quote is the bête noire of the ebook. #
- Hardly Strictly Bluegrass happening a few blocks from my house. From here it's muffled, more like Almost Certainly Shoegaze. #
- Thus far (10% in), Reamde is my favorite Neal Stephenson since Cryptonomicon. The plumbing of MMORGs is fascinating: R&D&D. #
- Noon carillon filtered through library's walls, windows, and air conditioning. #
- Listening to audiobooks in "fast" mode means expecting the narrator at any moment to interject, "I want to be … a dentist!" #
- Debating which makes the stronger icon for sound: the waveform or the spectrogram: http://t.co/wbOIOT9B #
- Special thanks to @vinylsaurus (né Scott Faulkner) for drawing my Twitter background for the coming month. #
- RIP, Leonard Dillon (b. 1942), cofounder of ska group the Ethiopians. #
- The Message: RIP, Sugar Hill Records founder Sylvia Robinson (b. 1936). #
- Christian Marclay exhibit at Fraenkel in San Francisco highly recommended. Cyanotypes of cassettes, plus splendid video of LP playfulness. #
- The seat cushions in this cafe suggest it is best for all involved that I focus on sound not smell. #
- The Kindle Fire doesn't have a microphone? #
- The galleries today at 49 Geary in oddly warm San Francisco were all humming with window fans. #
- Being in your home while construction to your home is taking place is like the the Fantastic Voyage of dentistry. #
- Occasional reminder: if you do The Facebook, there's a Disquiet.com page for that: http://t.co/DNmSGwqD #
- My http://t.co/xOB96gVV page was powered by @delicious but the Delicious relaunch has broken it. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. Multi-speaker echo effect especially clear, as house lacks several windows (having them replaced today) #
- I submit that the Thunderbird requirements for Windows 7 understate the hardware minimums: http://t.co/Cw8Jw8Gm #
- Every six months someone dies who was "considered the founder of bluegrass." #
- Frotz: No iPad should be without one. #
- The music of a dry cleaner: http://t.co/MToXjm9M (with video) #
- Enjoying the Daemon/Ready Player One/Reamde gamer-inspired novels? Solid piece on AmberMUSH MUD's influence on writers: http://t.co/cRiXMkOR #
- Forgot to mark my @goodreads review of Davis' Satie bio for spoilers. Hope people don't mind I note Satie dies. #theideaofthespoilerisstupid #
- Very much looking forward to APE this weekend. Hope to have a new Sketches of Sound mini together but may have to just hand out last year's. #
- Proj Gutenberg founder had no mobile phone, yet his work made my phone valuable by letting me read books: http://t.co/0PNNVIA9 via @glennf #
- Haven't used desktop in two weeks. Benefits of (relative) quiet of laptop outweigh noise of fans and drives. #nextstepssd #
- Album "showcases [X]'s award winning songwriting which has earned her multiple awards" #greatmomentsinmusicpr #
- Stopped by Long Now as part of the @mechanicrawl. Heard the 10k-year bells. Now on to the SS Jeremiah O'Brien. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Nuun: "Hi Mark, I’m truly honored and surprised by your review of my track! Thanks for your carefull listening..."
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
Monsterovich: "https://soundcloud.com/losttal entgroup Join us if you want normal groups back. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union. • 0243 / Synth Trial / The Assignment: Share the best track from your audition tape for Blade Runner 2.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice