- Apologies for limited Disquiet.com coverage this week. Spent much of it battling a fever. #noiseparent #
- Judging by the microphone distortion, there is either a sports event or a political rally occurring at the nearby high school. #
- "Director of Previsualization": movie credit of the evening #
- #occupyclassical RT @operafella: Nilsson award to Muti? Another who doesn't need $1,000,000. A reward for being successful and rich? Dumb. #
- Between jazz fan played by Danes in Homeland & temperament of Caviezel in Person of Interest it's a very Eastwood season of TV #
- Many sirens in the Richmond District. Anyone know what is up? #415 #
- Footlozenge: story of loner teen who cures town of flu symptoms. #footlost #
- Having those <error>"Your account may not be allowed to perform this action. Try logging out and in again."</error> blues again. #
- Wondering how many apps aren't playing nicely with iOS5's (quite excellent, but also late to the party) up/down/left/right 4-finger swipes. #
- RIP, blues harmonica player George "Mojo" Buford (b. 1929), veteran of Muddy Waters' band: http://t.co/abK9hfRl #
- Feeling confident there is an iOS5.1 in our future. #
- RIP, Dennis Ritchie (b. 1941), creator of C programming language; 1983 winner of Turing Award. via @hecanjog @fortnow #
- RIP, Freddie Gruber (b. 1927), jazz drummer and instructor (Vinnie Colaiuta, Neil Peart) http://t.co/bd6w75bg #
- Accidentally listening simultaneously to Slum Village instrumentals and Drone Wallah (aka C.P. McDill). Not a bad combo. #
- Nice iOS5 feature: swipe up four fingers reveals multitaskbar. No more late-night home-button clicking. Also swipe left/right between apps. #
- All software licenses should include — perhaps be required to include — an option to save the document as a text file. #
- Been reading coverage of Neal Stephenson's @Official_GDC Q&A. The word "music" was in the title. Anyone explain what he said about music? #
- #depressingsitcoms Hogan's Enemies #
- #depressingsitcoms The Flying None #
- 16: Number of minutes between iCloud welcome email and iCloud "Your iCloud storage is almost full" email. #
- Diggin the Android-style pulldown notifications & UMPC-style split keyboard in iOS5. Well, will once sync ends. #shouldawaitedonbibliophilia #
- 11:17am: iPad update to iOS5 pretty much complete. Apps being restored via wifi. This will take some time. #
- Restore in Progress. #livetweetingios5upgrade #
- 10:42: iOS5 update: "An unknown error occurred (1611)" #experience #
- Starting iOS5 update to iPad at 10:06am California time (and, yeah, Oregon time and so on). #
- Remixers, start your samplers: That audio of police scanners from OccupyBoston made available for download: http://t.co/mCPG3CNJ #
- The iOS5 release time in your IP time zone: http://t.co/R5iZGSyF … Looking forward to going "PC free," if only for device-charging ease. #
- Fog horns sound like someone's honking on the road to Valhalla. #
- News for hip-hop instrumental listeners: @Piecelock70 says "At some point, absolutely" re: chance of @puts Highlighter instrumentals release #
- RIP, MoCA donor/trustee Bea Gersh (b. 1924), "one of America's top arts philanthropists" http://t.co/TUJmX0lD via @TylerGreenDC #
- Yowza. I'm guessing PUtStairs isn't asking you to buy more stuff. RT @primusluta: Got nothing on People Under The Stairs 1.2GB of pure audio #
- Latest edition of the Björk Biophilia app (1.3) is 725MB, according to iTunes. There's a thin line between ambition and bloat. #
- Tuesday noon siren with most of the house's windows open. #
- Between the Avengers trailer and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trailer, it looks like Reznor/Nine Inch Nails is the new Peter Gabriel. #
- Reflecting on once ubiquitous TV pitchman Don Lapre's recent suicide, isn't Google's business model mostly "placing lots of tiny ads"? #
- Look on face of guy who left laptop in taxi & woman with dead drive at Genius bar make me want Bill Viola to do portraits of data-loss grief #
- Someone needs to assign Christopher Sorrentino to review Person of Interest. #
- Thus far, much spam seems to be observing Columbus Day. #
- Nearing-midnight sounds: laptop drive/fan, car revving few blocks away, jet engines to south, general high-pitched electr(on)ic whir. #
- It's not that my laptop's speakers are unusable. It's just that they're only loud enough from 9pm through 7am, when the world is quiet. #
- Per Joseph Lanza's Elevator Music, Roger Williams' "Autumn Leaves" arpeggios had to do with him thinking title to be "Falling Leaves." #
- RIP, pop pianist Roger Williams (b. 1924), whose solo instrumental "Autumn Leaves" once topped the U.S. charts. #
- Last few days with the humidifier. Its bee-hive drones will be missed — far more than the Blue Angels. #
- Averroës's Search Engine #opensourceborges #
- A USB Thumbdrive History of Iniquity #opensourceborges #
- RT @EdieBushwick: @disquiet The Google Docs of Babel #opensourceborges #
- The Garden of Forking Software #opensourceborges #
- Wanna rationalize Macbook Air purchase, but eM/MSE/Chrome & RAM upgrade have netbook flying. Later I'll convince myself netbook is backup. #
- RT @DaveSeidel: @disquiet The network is the venue. :-) [1. Indeed. 2. He's talking about this: http://t.co/p4IIO4j3 #
5 Most Recent Comments
needles: "Noll’s compositions and performances under all of his names are other-level. "
Carolyn Jackson: "It’s not your imagination. The outfit was Laurie Spiegel inspired! "
Neil: "Great, interesting piece. Marc, have you thought about making the concept of ‘Bracket Sound’ a..."
Tom: "This is heavenly "
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi. • 0267 / The Metronomic Society / Create a theme song for a fictional organization. • 0266 / Vocal Cuts / Use segments of your own held vowel to make music. • 0265 / Kitchen Music / Record a piece of music that uses items from just one drawer. • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice