- Working in Menlo-Regular. Maybe I don't need Consolas after all. #
- Heard fan on Macbook Air for first time since Tuesday purchase. Now back to silent. #SSD #
- Whenever I use the term "program music" I am concerned a reader will think I mean "program as in 'computer program.'" #
- Guy outside working fervidly in cold on massive phone-line switch box. He turns around. I'm surprised he's not Robert De Niro in Brazil. #
- Actual choice in Apple email asking why I declined help setting up laptop at Apple Store: "I wanted to experience opening the box on my own" #
- Most prominent post-Windows ghost pain: absence of Consolas font. This will be addressed shortly. #switch #
- Laptop adjusting brightness relative to environment on day of passing clouds is exercise in adverse effects of automation on nervous system. #
- "exhibition’s co-curator…dreamed…Brian Eno appeared to him and declared, 'Germany Is Your America'" http://t.co/ydYSzXJN via @nytimes #
- First major back-to-Mac revelation: Keyboard Shortcuts (under System Preferences) is great. Suits all my AutoHotkey needs. #
- Noon church bells collude and collide with beep of truck backing up. #
- Exhibit by @salvagione opens tonight at Aggregate Space in Oakland. I wrote an essay for it (http://t.co/y2GsqRdb), design by @boondesign. #
- Writing on a laptop with an SSD drive is a peaceful experience. #
- .@osakimandias As Einstein said, "There is no audible tick-tock everywhere in the world that can be considered as time." in reply to osakimandias #
- Dear Hive Mind, What's a Mac application that syncs with @simplenoteapp and supports both its pin and tags features? #
- Disappointed that Chime in Valve's Steam doesn't play on Mac. (Now have Metallica going through my head: "No remorse no regret.") #
- I hear Pink Floyd. My immediate impression is that someone is watching The Wall on one of the cafe's many laptops, but it's just the radio. #
- I bought a Mac yesterday evening. It's my third Mac ever, my first since 1994. This should be interesting. (My first Mac was the first Mac.) #
- Trying out, belatedly, the @soundcloud Mac application for the first time. Nifty. Glad to see that unlike the iOS app it supports downloads. #
- My pleasure. RT @falsereactions: My set from CMKY (@communikey) was featured on Disquiet this morning. Check it: http://t.co/mCQ6HkNO #
- Fave tweet of day, and it's only 6:37am. RT @CBCarey: Construction in 4 different locations in town this AM. It's like Antheil spatialized. #
- I've got a new essay for @salvagione's new work RT @boondesign: Aggregate Space opening Fri, 6-8pm. Oakland Art Murmur: http://t.co/CTsig8sw #
- Every time you report a Twitter spambot, an angel gets its iPad. #
- Best thing about a cafe near a Russian Orthodox Church? Besides the bells, it's the regular appearance of men in cassocks using iPads. #
- This is @richard_kadrey on Esquivel: "It sounds like what James Bond's dentist must play in his waiting room." #
- iPad set to notify email arrivals with alerts. Woke to 50+ emails. Had to "dismiss" each individually. Switched to banners. #hassle #ux #
- RIP, French composer/musician/musicologist André Hodeir (b.1921); his "Anna Livia Plurabelle" & "Bitter Ending" set Finnegan’s Wake to music #
- dog-whistle auto-dramaturgy #
- 6:00pm bells pushing through traffic noise, some ancient practice struggling to be heard in modern world. #
- Work by @taylordeupree @wcraghead & @mapmap hasn't made me routinely receptive to Instagram but has convinced me it can be used exquisitely. #
- Hoping to catch Faust at the Balboa Theater tomorrow night. #
- Tuesday noon siren heard against beep of timer from kitchen of Chinese restaurant. #
- Sudden distant police siren brings background to foreground and highlights the current utter absence of bird song. #
- Admash (noun): The accidental mashup when your mouse triggers a "rich media" ad on website that's already streaming audio. #
- Based on how we read these ABC books, my 14-month-old must think the ISBN code is the 27th letter of the alphabet. #
- Apparently the song birds are getting bigger in our area: http://t.co/vU54N5mK #
- Morning alarm. Sonic sunrise. #
- RIP, Tom Keith (b. 1947), who created the sound effects for the radio series Prairie Home Companion: http://t.co/hFFNp9Lc #
- Listened to long drone concert on repeat for afternoon & early evening. Details came into focus over time. Volume increased as sky darkened. #
- One ebook at a time per device. #
- Man, the new Google Reader is lovely. #
- Will not be posting "spooky" music today because all music has the potential to be spooky. #
- My nightmare scenario? These foghorns switch from Ingram Marshall mode to John Williams mode. #
- 23 dB – 34 dB: baby snores #
- Always happy when a program informedly updates/refines its commands. Except it often means an unexpected half hour re-coding of AutoHotkeys. #
- It is so Instagram outside right now. Thick fog, bright sun. #
- It is so film noir outside in the Richmond District right now. #
- T-shirts for Russ & Daughters and for Katz's Deli sighted outside Nopalito in San Francisco. #
- Would swear the bird is chirping in between the noon church bells. Well, perhaps "swear" is the inappropriate word. #
- Half the time I see "PD" in tweets I think it's about a Puredata meetup, not police #occupy activity. #
- Hey, hive mind: I'm requesting recommendations for particularly strong/thorough biography of Wallace Stevens? Thanks. #
- The latch on the window is in fact a switch that turns on the bird-song noises. #
- Evening's highly recommended streaming: lively clicktronic kitchen-sink instrumental pop of @bacanalintruder: http://t.co/IZWZkczz #
- Windows open front & rear on sunny October day in San Francisco. Sounds of cars in living room, helicopters in backyard. Sonic crossbreeze. #
- Have been out'n'about in San Francisco for over six hours and saw just one Nintendo DS. #nintendtimes #
- Secret origin of Bluetooth. RT @ptermx: @disquiet Aye! 'twas a business invented by crazies so they could get under the radar. #
- If we're not careful, the image of our time will be individuals alone in their cars seemingly talking to themselves. #
- New Koji Asano album likely the first recording I have ever received that came with a promotional pack of tissues. #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0278 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures. • 0277 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound."
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice