- Be nice: Please record & share. RT @fishwhisperer: Someone is playing the church bells spectacularly somewhere in Astoria. #
- Goodnight noises, frigidaire. #
- New record from Prong due in 2012. First in over half a decade. #
- After 11pm, the Macbook Air's speakers need several intervals between the lowest volume level and mute. #
- If you (1) fiddle with Instagram & (2) make vaguely ambient electronic music & (3) would like to participate in a group project, lemme know. #
- 6:00pm bells make neon-lit Geary feel like a village. #
- Listening to precise, pinging music via Macbook Air, pondering how its brittle sound matches the formal purity of the vessel. #
- Still not used to the idea that Bleep.com alphabetizes artists by first name. #
- I used to dislike Instagram photos. Now I seem to see each one as the cover to a fictional record album. #
- The 6:00pm church bells appear to be in tune with the solo piano music playing on cafe stereo system. #
- Gonna take time to decide on core text editor on my new Mac, but for time being the beta of Sublime Text 2 by @sublimehq is in the lead. #
- Municipal minimalism: the pulsing sound when the beeps of adjacent crossing signals go slightly out of sync. #
- VLC looks pretty in OS X. #
- In favor of #MuppetOscars only if Animal gets to be Music Director. #
- If this guy treated his dog like he did his laptop, the ASPCA would be here by now. #
- Q: What's Mac version of @addtips? A: RT @addtips: We are going to cover a lot of Mac apps (mostly freeware) soon. Just wait a few days. #
- Oddly fixated, after Heavy D's death, on one's final tweet (mine and others'). #beinspired #
- Dear Hive Mind, What's a solid Mac (OS X) equivalent of @addtips (aka addictivetips.com) — i.e., software tips, mostly free/shareware? #
- Bad-sync day: iCal versus Google Calendar; Simplenote versus Notational Velocity versus Flick Note. #
- RIP, rapper/producer Heavy D (b. 1967). Tried to interview him for recent Cake piece I did (re: Jay-Z's "Guns & Roses") but didn't happen. #
- … and then the church bells, as if they had been waiting for their turn. #
- Tuesday noon siren on cold day. Windows closed, muffling the alarm and the voice that follows it. #
- Finished Isaacson's Einstein bio & 1st volume of Kadrey's Sandman Slim. Now want to read Isaacson's Benjamin Franklin bio and vol 2 of Slim. #
- RIP, physicist Norman F. Ramsey (b. 1915), whose research led to the Atomic Clock, and who worked on Manhattan Project: http://t.co/ZuOLSAT2 #
- .@npseaver Yeah, the all-button trackpad initiated evident change to soundscape of libraries & cafes. "Tap to click," please. in reply to npseaver #
- OS X Lion life is a lot more quiet when you switch from standard trackpad click to "tap to click." #whew #
- Barely a month until December 13, the 15th anniversary of Disquiet.com. Crazy. #
- The forums at steampowered.com and the goodreads.com site are down simultaneously. Are readers gaming too much, or vice versa? #
- Is there a complete list online of OSX Lion keyboard shortcuts, or just 1,000 lists, each with between 5% and 66% of total? #
- Duet for breath of sleeping baby and drone of refrigerator. #
- Photo: Debussy, music concrete http://t.co/SWJjyoWf #
- Day 7 w/ Macbook Air. Digging it. Some errors (Keyboard Shortcuts unresponsive, Mail doesn't always mark email as replied) but pretty sweet. #
- Listening to field recordings at home. 14-month-old wondering where, exactly, all these birds are. #
- The @nytimes alerts email came in droves today. Did they improve their search, or is today's just "the issue dedicated to stuff Marc likes"? #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice