- 9/11 had some people wishing Superman existed. Occupy just has me wishing Public Enemy was still fully functional. #
- RIP, Gary Garcia of Buckner & Garcia, best known for early-'80s novelty hit "Pac-Man Fever" #8bit #
- You shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but you can far too often judge a netlabel release by its first track. #
- Copyright Timecops head to 1731 to keep Benjamin Franklin from founding early peer-to-peer system, the Library Company. #
- Says man with em-dash eyebrows. RT @improvingthomas: I think emoticons have begun to affect people's actual facial gestures. #
- ► Late-week audiostream of drone + guitar by @ChisatoOhori of Tokyo: http://t.co/hTHaBJyg #
- Got email from band saying how many gigs they'd played in 2011. Briefly thought it meant accumulated data not live performance. #
- RIP, Lee Pockriss, author of “Yellow Polka Dot Bikini,” a #sonicweapon in Billy Wilder’s “One, Two, Three” http://t.co/dSccI0JF #
- The word "drone" is not unlike the word "punk" in the way it offers to annihilate itself. #
- Good webcitizens don't set their webpages to curtail copy/paste of selected text. The result isn't hypertext. It's stolidtext. #
- Have nothing against Spotify, just the loud pre-US-arrival buzz. Killer feature of Spotify appears to have been that it wasn't yet available #
- As the Kindle Fire gets more coverage, just revisiting my disappointment with its lack of a microphone: http://t.co/wtLGOfa6 #
- Whenever you're about to use the word "meme" please consider using "theme." If "theme" isn't appropriate then, sure, go ahead. Thanks. #
- "I've only seen guns like this in my wargames" –Juice, on Sons of Anarchy #
- Dear Macbook, it's neat I can use my mic-enabled earbuds with you. It'd be nice if you didn't launch iTunes every time I moved my shoulder. #
- Apparently I have unlocked a dimension (Flux) in #dimensionapp http://t.co/05vhCojO #
- I am 117.6MBs from being deep in the #dimensionsapp Multiverse. #
- According to WordPress, four of the top five words leading people to http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 involve "gif"; I blame/credit @tommoody. #
- 6:00pm bells forcing their way through house-stereo piano trio, semi-hushed conversation, and a burbling water feature. #
- Noisily fluttering helicopters hover over San Francisco city hall, seem to challenge: Occupy this sky. #
- Honored that artist link from new @whyarcka (hip-hop) album (http://t.co/ZK7YChrL) goes straight to my 2009 interview: http://t.co/CRJvC3Pw #
- Yeah: studying, dissecting, critiquing, all good. Learning "how to sound like"? Worrisome. (From back'n'forth with @Le_Berger.) #
- After a dozen swings and with several assists. @Le_Berger: @disquiet Nail on the head, right there. #
- .@Le_Berger "Mimicry" is right. I get musicians imitate before innovating. But it's one thing to imitate an individual, and another a style. in reply to Le_Berger #
- .@Le_Berger You were clarifying not nitpicking. Appreciated. I could have been clearer. With, say, a link: http://t.co/DcaDcuFr in reply to Le_Berger #
- .@wayneandwax Yeah, I would be hopeful were the class not also teaching "trance, dub, electro, minimal, downtempo, house," and so on. in reply to wayneandwax #
- Something wrong w/ music class purporting to teach "glitch" production. Glitch is (was?) music of error. Once teachable it's style not error #
- Troubled that senators from state I'm from (Schumer) and state where I live (Feinstein) have their names on PROTECT IP Act. #
- Disappointed that Google's logo doesn't reflect #americancensorshipday #
- But for good measure, here's the netlabel manifesto translated into Italian: http://t.co/autU60wD #
- D'oh! Wrong link on that Hungarian reference. That's an old interview about netlabels of mine that was translated into Hungarian. #
- And, for good measure, this is a link to a PDF of my netlabel manifesto someone translated into Hungarian: http://t.co/mn6eVtDA #
- So neat. My netlabel manifesto has been translated into Japanese: http://t.co/kqhUYYJJ. * Original English here: http://t.co/A3mc0LFP #
- The improvised architecture of this cafe is fascinating. At 6pm, half dozen people inside; couple dozen pulling chairs outside to hang. #
- As the day gets longer and darker, the laptop's screen seems brighter and its speaker louder. #
- "The artist doesn’t demand money for her music, so instead, I give back to the community" sez @dpnem. Speaks to/for me. http://t.co/FELk9SnQ #
- Read @vuzhmusic on cassettes: http://t.co/FELk9SnQ Minicomics followed cassette-cult trajectory (network -> fetish), minus the decade gap. #
- Latest PR email from jrp-ringier.com is blank. It's either an error or an intriguing announcement about a forthcoming Robert Ryman monograph #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. Municipal preparedness on a particularly sunny day. #duckandcover #
- ► "Sound of a train and some trees at night at Charlottesville, Va, USA" http://t.co/jLSnUeDc (courtesy of @wcraghead #
- Those street-work sounds are no less enjoyable than yesterday. However, as the work approaches, the rattling sensation gets less enjoyable. #
- Now mine will have, thanks to … RT @stevesilberman: 11 sounds your kids have never (and probably will never) hear. http://t.co/V5CuZE3H #
- Think my 14-month-old, judging by habit of pulling the book off the shelf, has crush on kid on cover of Life After God by @DougCoupland #
- Sound of construction on the block (something related to the road, or what's beneath it) just far enough away to be enjoyable. #
- The longer I wear these earbuds, the louder the band in this cafe seems to get. It's like a sonic cold war. #
- #415 shows: Ava Mendoza (Sun), Baraka/Reed/Mitchell (Mon), Theresa Wong (Tue), Cornelius Cardew Choir (Thu) #
- Terminal is pretty in OS X Lion. #
- .@bradleyallen And now, reversing course, imagining the olfactory equivalent of tinnitus. in reply to bradleyallen #
- Just imagining how horrible it would be if the scent a skunk gave off were, instead, a sound. #
- "Play feedback when volume is changed." No thank you. #
- A generous association. RT @jredsmyth: church bells in the distance making me think of @disquiet #
- iOS 5.0.1: "Improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation." (When a language becomes universal, accents become languages.) #
- Afternoon sonic diptych: overhead prop plane versus sleeping baby's breaths. #
- My friend Bob (aka Robert) Levine (aka @operafella) has his new book (Weep, Shudder, Die) reviewed in @operanews: http://t.co/yExLBt8R #
- Sound-app updates: Animoog now has background audio support, and Nanoloop is optimized for iOS5. #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice