- Yeah, Apple's mail doesn't mark replies consistently, which is why (well, one of the whys) I've used Thunderbird. #
- Ambient music is especially meaningful when perpetrated on tools that were previously relegated to a supporting role. #
- Thunderbird is proving just as (un)stable in OS X Lion as it was in Windows 7. #
- For Black Friday all MP3s in Disquiet.com's Downstream department available for free download. Oh wait, that's true every day. #
- Digital thanks for Soundcloud HTML5 player, genial Twitter correspondence, revival of Delicious, and 15 years of Disquiet. #
- "Audio cassette" jack in back of cash register. http://t.co/GvdPr3kQ #
- Foil on pies in back of car rattling like snare drums. #
- Was thinking my laptop needs a decal. RT @dpnem: Built a Creative Commons Music logo jpg: http://t.co/wmPSEmte , png http://t.co/gN8D8BHH #
- RIP, composer Russell Garcia (b. 1916), who scored Pal's Time Machine (1960) and Atlantis (1961) and arranged Chaplin's Limelight (1953). #
- Thought I could go whole week without writing about Souncloud-hosted track. Foiled again. Happily, thanks to new HTML5 player. #
- 75 years ago today Robert Johnson (in US) & Pablo Casals (in UK) sat down to record; @RadioDiaries has the story: http://t.co/wGDQXkcg #
- Side of van for service handling neighbor's fire-damaged home reads "Like it never happened®" — I'm living in a PDK novel. #
- Both comforted and discomforted that Thunderbird crashes just as often in OS X Lion as in Windows 7. #
- Great @notrobwalker piece on Smule music apps: named for Asimov, bigger than pop charts, deeply "liberal arts + tech": http://t.co/8rUmbDrC #
- RIP, avant-guitarist Hans Reichel (b. 1949), inventor of the daxophone: evrad.io/voekwo (via @pheezy @pmarg) #
- "The ambient quiet allows you to pick up tremors of deep dread": @nytimesarts on Cronenberg's “A Dangerous Method." Next: Cosmopolis's Satie #
- RIP, Syd Cain (b. 1918), movie production designer. Developed gadgets for early James Bond films, worked on Fahrenheit 451. #
- In L.A. area? Steve Roden has Pasadena sound installation using JPL & ionosphere tapes thru Jan 11, 2012 http://t.co/HOfOpIwt #
- Discussing the classical origins of drones with @operafella, starting with Perotin: http://t.co/3jLIzcLc #
- The Unsilent Night MP3 download page randomly selects which of the four variations you'll receive: http://t.co/YHrndgmK #
- Cities with Unsilent Night for 1st time this year: Austin; Edmonton; Jackson, MS; Mobile; Portland, OR; Seattle; Silver Spring, MD; Toronto. #
- Always looking forward to black metal Friday. #
- The word formulation "holidaze" like linguistic napalm. #
- If you are interested in helping set up a Los Angeles date for Unsilent Night, lemme know, and let @UnsilentTweet know. #
- Oh, and Unsilent Night is on Twitter, for all your secular-wassailing needs: @UnsilentTweet #
- Solid video-game-score recommendations. RT @compactrobot: @disquiet these were good http://t.co/07dGQXUS, http://t.co/Z3hOKAdq #
- This year's supposed to be coming-out part for video-game music at Grammy Awards. Wondering what'll be nominated on 11/30. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco on a cold day through closed windows. #
- Among @idelsohnsociety events is live Steve Berlin (Los Lobos) score to Grigori Roshal's 1928 film His Excellency (Yevo Prevoshoditelstvo). #
- Throughout December I'm helping @idelsohnsociety with Outer Mission pop-up store/venue. If you're in #415 follow @idelsohnsociety for news. #
- Unsilent Night will be on Dec. 17, 2011, in San Francisco. Global chedule is accumulating here: http://t.co/oKBecbHH #
- Haptic sound = feeling vibrations from speakers that are underneath keyboard in Macbook Air http://t.co/oc44nJng #
- Macbook sounds great through stereo, running via Edirol UA-25ex. #
- Great to see @soundcloud pushing itself as being about "sound" (not "just 'music'"). Always in the name. Now, more and more, in the message. #
- Finding lingering document in rarely used scanner feels like, as a teen, finding stray yarmulke in suit-jacket pocket. #
- Starting Dec 1, I will be engaging in a serious culling of the PR email that I receive. We'll see how that goes. #
- A drummer named Motian. Always felt like something out of Dickens, especially after he declined to travel. #
- RIP, drummer Paul Motian (b. 1931): colleague of Bill Evans, Bley, Frisell, Jarrett; ECM mainstay (via @pheezy) #
- iOS sound-apps update: Thicket is now ThicketClassic; new app due out. Also, Falling Stars has fixed saving option. #
- "The voice of this cloudy air": A daily comic, its text drawn (so to speak) from Thoreau, by @madinkbeard http://t.co/iY6zMkse #
- More prominent was tangential sound: chainsaws, water, beeping, chatter. RT @mrgavinedwards: @disquiet But what does the fire sound like? #
- Often as not, the best moments in a minimal techno track occur during the track's first few seconds. #
- House across street on fire. Four firetrucks, as many emergency vehicles. Fireman on adjacent roof using chainsaw to get to smoke's source. #
- That alarming moment when firetrucks appear to be slowing down, not passing by. #
- Got the next Sketches of Sound pieces (Disquiet's 20th such monthly entry), from @bartalos. Tremendous drawings of bicycle horns. Up soon. #
- I used to DJ on KDVS, Davis' college station. Thinking back to my old shows. Don't know if people get what a placid town Davis is. Or was. #
- That moment in the day when you have a sense of what your dreams will be about. RT @vuzhmusic: @disquiet I am imagining a click-tesseract. #
- The click is a pixel tall, and a pixel wide, and a pixel deep. #
- Thunder and wild geese overhead. #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0258 / Sonic Climate / Express your local weather in sound. • 0257 / Remember Noisevember / Make some noise. • 0256 / Music in Place / Record a short piece of music using the sounds around you. • 0255 / Capone’s Ghost / What does the banjo music of the fabled criminal sound like? • 0254 / Fog and Steam / Make music from two provided samples.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice