- "Operation Further Simplify the Design of http://t.co/xdF6qCg1" begins in earnest today. #
- "You can't have a knife, sweetie." Words overheard from the kitchen. #
- Saw Steve Berlin & band do live score for way dark 1928 Russian silent film tonight. Truly special event at @idelsohnsociety's Tikva Records #
- Thanks for posting my ode to American Pop's "ecstatic conflation." RT @BoingBoing Saturday in SF: Ralph Bakshi at Tikva Records goo.gl/SMrTs #
- .@ambienteer I promise I'm not saying filter more. That's what I was getting at about "realtime" (vs "prolix"). Aural diaries are important. in reply to ambienteer #
- Bingo RT @Billforman Me too (e.g. was new Massive Attack legit?) RT @disquiet Wondering if verified accounts would be of use @soundcloud #
- i.e., Fauxtechre. RT @qDot: @disquiet verified @soundcloud accounts make me wonder about possibilities of audio "fake steve jobs" equivalent #
- Wondering if verified accounts (a la @twitter) would be of use @soundcloud. #
- Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross have now scored two films about socially awkward people using computers to invade others' privacy #
- Based on the first six tracks, I feel comfortable thinking the Dragon Tattoo score will be even more impressive than the Social Network one. #
- Somehow only just last night made the connection that @ambienteer is the same person who does the http://t.co/UbA8Oabz website. #
- Judging by six free tracks, Reznor/Ross Dragon Tattoo score (due Dec. 9) is strong evidence against completing your top 10 list in Nov. #
- How many .DS_Store files does it take to fill my Macbook Air? #
- What's Hebrew for "crate digger"? At opening of Tikva Records on Mission in San Francisco: http://t.co/3GkysUjl #
- Took peek at most viewed posts on site for year. If they stay as is, it's a pretty great bunch, even if best-of-2010 items clog it a little. #
- They're all years. Gibson/Ellis are way futuristic. RT @a_w_young: @disquiet your follower count looks like a year and that makes me jealous #
- Am digging @ThisIsMyJam (currently in beta). Be nice if interface managed to inspire more participants to briefly describe their jam. #
- There are days when the benefits of the manic simplicity of @simplenoteapp become clear. Today is one. #
- RIP, GamePro. #
- OK, http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 is back online after hosting issues. Today's pick, Aeroc's "For Sake," is pop-iest thing on the site in some time. #
- Dec. 1, 2011: Thus begins my official culling of PR email. I wake often to 100 in the morning. These will be reduced. #
- For those with access to the beta: http://t.co/V6TzCoQq #
- Your PR database only gets granular as "special features section/books-literature"? You're doing no one (client, press) favors save yourself #
- http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 appears to be down. Must be turbulence in the clouds. Up soon. #
- Last night was asked to name a place apart from time. I thought of Hanoi. Today, stumbled upon these field recordings: http://t.co/EtJK5QPK #
- OS X Lion could use 1/16th the number of keyboard-lighting settings and 16x the number of volume-level settings. #
- I'm confused. Remember all the "Grammy Awards to formally recognize 'video game music'" stories? Where are those among today's nominations? #
- What's great about uncertainform.com's "Creative Commons music" coverage is its focus on "Creative Commons" rather than "music." #
- The 6pm bells sound like a Nathaniel Hawthorne short story read against the David Cronenberg one told by passing traffic. #
- Institutions often prefer the gibberish of intra-industry dog-whistling over language that communicates clearly across borders. #
- It's telling that many fields insist on referring intrinsically to their own self-contained "industry" (music, video games, comics). #
- Note for locals/visitors: Dan Dan Noodle at Peking on Noriega in San Francisco is quasi-off-menu (i.e., only on the Chinese menu). #
- Apparent current goal is to try every Tan Tan (or Dan Dan) Mein/Noodle in San Francisco. Currently at Peking on Noriega. #
- Response just submitted to PR-firm survey: "automated nature of emails reflects poorly on the music, making it look automated by extension." #
- On Basel-as-SXSW: @wcraghead Different, yes. Similarity: simulacrum of going out to galleries/shows; "prosumer" everyone's-an-insider vibe. in reply to wcraghead #
- Art Basel Miami is the SXSW of the art world (based at least on the volume of "you're not here" email). #
- 2nd only to my '97 Oval interview, this '11 piece gets around. RT @dpnem: @disquiet on how to start a netlabel http://t.co/rmxDiBRt #ccmusic #
- See, it's already happening. That was fast. RT @mystified131: @disquiet @vuzhmusic nah, no disagreements. . . #
- We're seeing serious fruition of @vuzhmusic's desire for more communication about netlabels. Next step: more (constructive) disagreement. in reply to vuzhmusic #
- The Twitter avatar known as @dpnem is doing something special at http://t.co/UWenHmp9 #cc #netlabel #copyleft #free #download #share #
- The @jewseum has Kenneth Silverman, Houdini bio author, speaking on 12/8. To most people reading this, he's author of recent John Cage bio. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco, echoing as one slightly out-of-sync speaker after another fades in. Distance probably plays a role too. #
- The nadir of PR-email professionalism is an opt-out button. It says, "We don't tailor our email news. You get everything or nothing." #
- Enjoyable tangent to Steve Berlin show: band member @crystalscucc scored the 1920 silent film The Golem http://t.co/brJltmG0 #
- Berlin's band for the show is crazy: @scottamendola @ralph_carney @crystalscucc + Twitter-less Eric Drew Feldman & Karl Alfonso Evangelista #
- The @idelsohnsociety just posted my interview with Steve Berlin of @LosLobosBand on scoring a 1928 Russian silent film: http://t.co/rMsTIHtU #
- That EMI/manga comparison wasn't a criticism. The EMI Studios of the 1960s gave us Rubber Soul and Revolver, just for starters. #
- Intense foghorns this evening, and just now perfectly out of pitch with drone of passing aircraft. #
- Reading about how EMI Records functioned in the '60s reminds me a lot of how manga is made to this day in Japan. #
- Sleepytime mashup: trying to sing my 15-month-old's favorite book, Sandra Boynton's Personal Penguin, to the Depeche Mode song #
- In which I finally have an opportunity to draw comparison between Potter's Singing Detective and Bakshi's American Pop: http://t.co/huXHMXEe #
- Could you surf Disquiet.com today, see if anything broke? Switched to cloud hosting. Thanks, @LS_Hosting + futurepruf.com! #
- Next month http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 Sketches of Sound illustration: boombox by Jaime Crespo (http://t.co/ci7Ds326). Beaut. Can't wait to share. #
- "Rock and roll ain't noise pollution." "Noise pollution is industrial music." #
- The silence you're currently experiencing is a delay before Twitter erupts with comments about Martin Gore / Vince Clarke collaboration. #
- And 1971 Jasia Reichardt: http://t.co/SsLW7bCa RT @geetadayal: Celebrate Cyber Monday by reading classic texts on cybernetics #
- Yeah! Here's Haque on Gordon Pask http://t.co/DT0T4WDk RT @geetadayal: Celebrate Cyber Monday by reading some classic texts on cybernetics. #
- "They all drowned when the air turned #1B3F8B / 'Cos we didn't give a toss" —The Hex Pistols #
- Following up non-violence tweet, great point on power of "deafening silence." RT @alexismadrigal: Soundscape of #Occupy http://t.co/XntTfkzy #
- I'll be asking folks to click around http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 once the site switches hosting/DNS. Please keep an eye out for the assist request. #
- One step closer to a cloud-hosted Disquiet.com. Splitting the MX record to host email elsewhere caused confusion, but almost there. #
- If any movement should read up on non-violence, it's the one opposed to noise pollution. Making noise about noise is not a solution. #
- Psychology of "noise": No SFO flights day after 9//11, "but complaints were lodged nevertheless." http://t.co/lc1LxSWq via @thebaycitizen #
- New York Times correction of the day: "It was for $285 million, not $28 million." What's a decimals point between friends? #
- 3 MP3s by @mrotondo who's in @notrobwalker story on @smule in @nytmag http://t.co/N6K88nmO http://t.co/wuRIh4wF http://t.co/0gdR9Igz #
- Cool! I'll tweet 2 more. RT @notrobwalker: Bonus for Smule story readers, music by Mike Rotondo, via @disquiet: http://t.co/kigvZIBG #
- Apparently the "cyber" in "Cyber Monday" means "promotional-email overload." #
- RIP, Ken Russell (b. 1927), director of Altered States, Tommy; biographer of erotic life of composers http://t.co/gqVd88kF #
- Man, would I ever. RT @stephenbetts: @disquiet you would have loved ambient sounds of my piano being removed from our 1st floor flat #
- Locked-groove fans: It took EMI employee 9 tries to get the one at end of Sgt. Pepper's right. Had to cut full side each time. #
- Eric Drew Feldman (Captain Beefheart) not "Friedman" is in Steve Berlin's film band. (Web search suggests I'm not first to make the error.) #
- Copyright Timecops rush to 1966 to cite Beatles for using splices to cover up pre-existing brass band material in "Yellow Submarine." #
- Moving Disquiet.com to cloud hosting today. Probably not visible to the outside world, except for potential DNS gap. #
- Realizing I've seen most of the major members of Black Flag perform live (Ginn, Kira, Henry, Dukowski, Biscuits), but all separately. #
- “For me, chamber music is the epitome of civilization." RIP, Olga Bloom (b.1919). Created NYC's Bargemusic http://t.co/r3BW6qxs #
- Beep! Thanks to Michael Bartalos (aka @bartalos) for the bicycle horns that adorn my Twitter page. More on him at http://t.co/pUa8F4xF #
- Many thanks to @scottapeshot (aka Scott Gilbert) for original illustration that ran as my Twitter background this past month. #
- Sketches of Sound series on Disquiet.com asks illustrators to draw sound-related objects, sans people. Result: objects become characters. #
- Anyone out there recommend from experience multi-terabyte data storage (LiveDrive, Iozeta, Beecloud, BackBlaze)? More into size than backup. #
- "Finder can’t quit because some operations are still in progress" no less annoying simply because more elegantly displayed. #
- Happy knowing that somewhere someone is now planning on doing FDV (Fugazi Data Visualization) toward an MA or PhD. #
- At least two Fugazi shows I attended are not yet available for download: 1991/09/03 and 1993/05/01. #waitingroom #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice