- Instagr/am/bient update: All images are in. There are 22 contributors. If you're involved & don't get an assignment from me today, email me. #
- Two-hour warning. We have 18 official participants in the Instagr/am/bient project. At least one more expected. Deadline: 10:30pm, Pacific. #
- RIP, Alan Styles, the Pink Floyd roadie after whom "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" (off Atom Heart Mother) was named. #
- RIP, composer Minoru Miki (b. 1930), who wrote the music for the film In the Realm of the Senses. #
- iOS sound-app upgrades: Bebot got a sub-oscillator and more; Inception got a revised dream; RJ Voyager and Mixtikl are now iOS5-friendly. #
- Chamber-music noise remix: hold music on my phone playing through its speaker while I wait for operator. #
- Would someone please make a movie just of Blair Brown and Judy Davis staring each other down? Music by Clint Mansell. #
- Great Instagr/am/bient photo from @pheezy. Rest due by 10:30pm. Then I begin sorting who gets which. Cover design will be by @boondesign. #
- Traffic to http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 from Facebook is 4x Twitter. Participation from Twitter is 10x Facebook. #
- Participating in Instagr/am/bient? Your photo due 10:30pm Pacific today. I assign you a photo tomorrow by 1:30pm. Your track due by 12/24. #
- Great Instragr/am/bient entries by @benjamindauer @ooray @falsereactions @markrushtoncom @naotko and many more. This is gonna be great. #
- Alberto Iglesis scored Soderbergh's two-part Che and now the Tinker Tailor remake. He has mid-century Cold War sonics down. #
- RIP, Jerry Robinson (b. 1922), who created the Joker. His uniquely shaky line brought a uniquely ambiguous morality to comics. #
- The incongruity between sitting next to your peacefully sleeping child and hearing multiple sirens racing toward some troubled destination. #
- Apparently the Kindle Fire isn't deaf. It needs a hearing aid. The mic-less device reportedly works with mic-enabled headsets. #
- Nice surprise seeing this Steve Roden painting at the Sonma U Art Gallery http://t.co/5aO9tZDm in between two Richard Serras. #
- Similarities between "physical structure of spider silk and the sonic structure of a melody" http://t.co/KfcOxChE tx @karmenite @physorg_com #
- "Hear, hear." RT @pulsetrain: @disquiet how the @_type label does everything is worth emulating #
- To be clear, innovation comes in many forms, not just "social." How the Type label streams all albums on @soundcloud is worth emulating. #
- .@a_w_young As many people have said, it'd be nice if someone built a pretty front end to http://t.co/VsCIgQRo. in reply to a_w_young #
- Soundcloud accounts of, you know, with-it, contemporary musicians that follow no one: Flying Lotus, Neon Indian, Matthew Dear, Sonic Youth. #
- And there's that. RT: @DevMartinMusic @disquiet @soundcloud If you follow a million people. You look like spam. #
- Mostly for record labels: If you don't follow anyone on @soundcloud, you don't look participatory. You look like a billboard. #
- Just getting started with VLC, PD-extended, Soundcloud, Mixxx. And you? @gtra1n: disquiet what music apps are you using on your MacBook Air? in reply to gtra1n #
- Programs that crash most on my Macbook Air: iCal, Thunderbird. Chrome doesn't crash, just goes into RHM (resource-hog mode). #
- 24 hours until Stage 1 of Instagrambient project. If you've contacted me & haven't heard back, lemme know. Photos due Friday 10:30pm Pacific #
- Now at Tikva pop-up vinyl shop in the Mission. Here's my interview with Fool's Gold on assimilation and appropriation: http://t.co/2ZWAw6VR #
- Gotten five gorgeous images for the "making ambient music inspired by Instagram photos" collaborative project. Well underway. #
- Check list available of musicians sampled by the Beastie Boys who are already in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? #
- The cafe stereo is playing an acoustic guitar instrumental rendition of "Layla." Can someone tweet me a flamethrower? #
- Off to sleep. More "Instagr/am/bient" details and correspondence in the morning (Pacific Time). #
- If you're interested in being part of the Instagram/ambient project, and you haven't received an email/tweet/soundcloud message, lemme know. #
- Apparently the http://t.co/xjPeys7Q domain is still available. I don't think I'll be purchasing it. Related: http://t.co/rsQFGWNZ is taken. #
- I'll be sending out plans for "Instagram ambient" project in the next 24 hours. Wanna be included? Shoot me email: marc@disquiet dot com. #
- San Francisco Tuesday noon siren through open window on sunny day. Kinda wish every day had its own specific noon alarm. Kinda. #
- Batman composer Hans Zimmer crowd-sourcing chants for new film's score http://t.co/4ch8kBoN via @io9 #longestfilmcreditsever #
- Nature is the remix. RT @soundsurvivlist: Looping @ambienteer track via @disquiet in office today. Perfect accompaniment to rain outside. #
- One week 'til 15th anniversary of http://t.co/xdF6qCg1. Seems like just yesterday I was faxing my URL order form. Yes, faxing. #
- Concrete poetry, animated gifs, more. RT @tommoody: In NY? Please come to my EFA Project Space talk Wed. night (12/7): http://t.co/PELuCKPx #
- This new Timbaland beat, "Pass At Me," is my least favorite of his in a long time. #
- I think we have a winner. RT @benjamindauer: @disquiet Sys Prefs > Users > You > Login Items – remove iTunesHelper. Should rid 'listener'. #
- .@benjamindauer @rlainhart Figured out where "Prevent [iPads/etc.] from syncing automatically" is. Now how to just stop iTunes auto-launch. in reply to benjamindauer #
- Dear Mac People: How do I keep iTunes from opening on my laptop when I connect my iPad? Thanks, Marc #
- Previous tweet's quote of Turner winner Martin Boyce from a short biographical film quoted by @artinfodotcom here: http://t.co/TZ5o5z2D #
- 2011's Turner winner, a sculptor, Martin Boyce, shares a perspective with 2010's: "I became interested in making places rather than objects" #
- Something to listen to while reading about Turner Prize winner: Our compilation tribute to last year's, Susan Philipsz: http://t.co/KTYjfHrm #
- Really happy I opted for the 13" laptop over the 11". Never thought I'd go for the larger one, but it's working out nicely. #
- As I work on design refinement of Disquiet.com I realize that despite what the logo says, I think of it as Disquiet.com, not as Disquiet. #
- Very good point. Some metronomes do benefit from tutorials. RT @jamesmcn: @disquiet Billotti Trinome emulator? #
- You know the world is complicated when a metronome app adds a tutorial. #
- Listening to art. Playing with audio. Sounding out technology. Composing in code. #
- You can listen without irony to Pat Benatar and Bob Seger in the Mission District on a Saturday night: http://t.co/wVcnE26s #tikva #idelsohn #
- RIP, blues great Hubert Sumlin (b. 1931), via @pheezy @stevesilberman #
- Sudden blast of foghorn, like it had woken in a jolt from a nap. #
- Wanted this for awhile: RRRecords 7" of 100 locked grooves. $5 at garage sale on Valencia @ 18th in SF http://t.co/YFLMn0Dg #415 #
- Berlin report: RT @osakimandias: To extent that evening's chill is bearable, it's the subtle music of rainstorm in the city that makes it so #
- Last night I got to watch Steve Berlin and band perform an original score to a 1928 Russian silent film. Report here: http://t.co/3LItyN6V #
- The 6:00pm bells sound like a dingy being rocked on the waves of traffic noise. #
- Today's baby time mash: Sandra Boynton's "Moo, Baa, La La La!" in the style of Mose Allison. #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice