- Haven't watched Boss yet, but just noticed Brian Reitzel does the music. Must check it out. #
- Convinced that due to its digital texture & similar arrangement with original, the Zep cover in Dragon Tattoo is as much a remix as a cover. #
- Instagr/am/bient update: Already have 4 of what's looking like 25 entries. Beautiful stuff so far. Picturesque, you might say. #
- Really confused by the 20k song limit in Google Music. #
- 7:30pm, people. Looking forward to this. RT @UnsilentTweet: Tomorrow night, San Francisco! http://t.co/Qrxv7juq #
- Witnessing far more tablet-reading in public. The fetish has thankfully given way to practical use. #
- .@dizzybanjo @telstarlogistic @inceptiontheapp There should be a Buddha Machine of scifi spaceship HVAC/engine drones. in reply to dizzybanjo #
- More to my taste. Thanks. RT @TelstarLogistic: Or, if you prefer to idle with the original Enterprise: http://t.co/4emW5Dji #
- "For Marc: The Next Generation's Enterprise engine noise, looped for 24 hours. http://t.co/UGFczlmq" #EmailOfTheDay #
- Today's when automated PR emails go out wishing us happy holidays before PR folks go on vacation, during which we'll get automated PR emails #
- Spaghetti Eastern: great footage by @mrbiggsdotcom of a Dec 3 synth meet-up in Philadelphia: http://t.co/KOSafBPr #
- Apple outdoes Spinal Tap: its volume goes to 16. Bonus tip to my @TheAtlantic OS X sound design piece: http://t.co/zTAfTYJY Thanks, @linmu. #
- Mexican-American banda group from LA covering "Just Can't Get Enough" is most New Orleans experience I have had since leaving NOLA in 2003. #
- Earplug run before the punk-banda concert. And some pupusas. #
- I have five more @ThisIsMyJam beta invites. You'll need either a Twitter or Facebook account if you want one. Hit me up. #
- A pleasure. You are king of the "colliding banter" genre. RT @alln4tural: more than a handful of listens — must be a @disquiet post. #
- Even if its podcast wasn't great @thetheradius worth observing for how it conducts itself: advance notice, elegant design, clear description #
- Judging by poor showing by political bloggers I follow, presidential primary has been an effective tool to keep SOPA coverage at a minimum. #
- So, #SOPA cures issue of surfing online being "offensive" by drastically reducing attraction of surfing in the first place. #
- Very confused there's a hearing about Portuguese soup. Talk about congressional pork. #
- If @time were a music magazine, the waveform would be the person of the year. #
- 1954 quote from obit: “It has to be a combination of science and showmanship. If there’s a sunrise, we furnish appropriate sunrise music” #
- RIP, Joseph M. Chamberlain (b. 1923), planetarium innovator who appears to have been a godfather of laser light shows: http://t.co/O1ZdkJXr #
- Many thanks. RT @alexismadrigal: On @disquiet's quest to make his already quiet Macbook Air into a silent computer: http://t.co/hhfpwqdC #
- I got a Macbook Air, quietest computer I've used. I tried to make it quieter. Then I wrote about it for @theatlantic: http://t.co/FoZ4E23q #
- Playing with (free) generative iOS app #MonolithLoop before bed. #
- Please consider supporting the great (largely electronic) arts fest @communikey in Boulder: http://t.co/236yPSd3 Tons of cool pledge prizes. #
- Says something about iTunes file management that subculture of intra-app file-sharing is needed. Anyhow http://t.co/Bcn5QttW looks promising #
- Four new/reworked DJ Krush tracks are streaming at the @blasthaus_ site, http://t.co/uOQ7x71C. #
- Fairey fails Turing test, actually an algorithm. RT @Shocklee: Shepard Fairey based TIME cover on LA Weekly photograph: http://t.co/vCmPv6gE #
- The mark of a good bbq place may be that it's proud enough of its food not to feel required to play the blues. #
- It's about gadget, not warez, apparently. And, yes, that's #stupid @mclow @GlennF What about using a voice recorder app on a phone? #
- Pulled over for using phone while driving. But it was voice recorder. Cop said, "You are correct, you know the law." Let me go. #
- Major thanks to http://t.co/8YOl6xOA, developer of my new WordPress theme, a thorough refinement of site's longstanding design #
- Thanks! RT @dizzybanjo: "Listening to art. Playing with audio. Sounding out technology. Composing in code." New disquiet.com motto. Love it! #
- All outta @ThisIsMyJam invites. #
- OK, http://t.co/xdF6qCg1's new theme has launched. Some work ahead, but it's live. I feel like I have a brand new super cool bicycle. #
- When http://t.co/xdF6qCg1's 3.0 theme goes live, I'd appreciate folks letting me know what's broken. Inevitably there will be some cleanup. #
- I have 5 @ThisIsMyJam beta invites. If you want one (you need either Twitter or Facebook to sign up), lemme know. #
- Found myself looking for volume button on microwave to lower sound of reheating Sichuan pork dish. #
- Disquiet 3.0 is still WP. New theme improving on longstanding design. RT @jackshay: @disquiet what made you want to change from WordPress? #
- http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 1.0 was 1996-2007, when it switched from hand-coded HTML to WordPress (Disquiet 2.0). Stripped-down Disquiet 3.0 soon. #
- Shift from http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 2.0 (2007-present) underway. May be some peculiar post formats for a little while. Just part of transition. #
- Working backward, adding pre-web stuff to Disquiet, someday I'll get to my King Crimson Three of a Perfect Pair high-school newspaper review #
- Major progress on design of http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 3.0. It essentially looks the same, just cleaner/simpler. Smoother loading. #
- Parenthood Panopticon: keeping ear and eye on your baby while being, yourself, watched by the eyes of dolls and others toys. #
- The stages of the word "ball" as it develops in mouth and mind of a child: http://t.co/zs5NaT8f via @roberttheakston #
- Performed WSBurroughsian cutup by only reading each page in book until my 15-month-old turned the page: cascade of truncations #
- Thanks. I'll check out this HTML5 player. RT @tones: @disquiet SoundManager is pretty great http://t.co/DnJ2otUy #
- .@tones How about minus the waveform, just an elegant, easy-to-embed HTML5 audio player. The ones I've tried are all alpha. in reply to tones #
- Really wish there were an open-source HTML5 audio embeddable player half as elegant as the @soundcloud one. #
- Apparently I wandered into Facebook http://t.co/eiEUpmDj #
- The Sims was fun. Minecraft is a lot of fun. Where is the game where you just make a single fat pixel? #
- At 15 months, my kid says many specific words. What's confusing is these include "buh" (book), "boh" (bowl), "bah" (ball) & "bih" (bird). #
- Nice way to start the day: news of a new, self-released Funki Porcini album: http://t.co/AcelkD1w #
- "'Drive' is the year’s best long-form music video. That score! Ambient murder-drone and wineglass-rim whine." That's @pappademas in @nytimes #
- We're now getting started on Stage 2 of Instagr/am/bient: images have been distributed to musicians. Tracks due back by Christmas Eve. #
- Just saw Dengue Fever at Tikva Records. My interview with Zac Holtzman touches on Cambodian/Sephardic modal parallels: http://t.co/MDT3MRwK #
- The SSD effect: annoyed by wife's laptop's hard drive and fan. #
- Playing my kid the Schoolhouse Rock song about how bills get made. It was a lot more fun before, well, before I knew anything. #
- You're right. I'd respond more but I try not to tweet about Twitter. #echo RT @GlennF: Twitter is the string and it thinks it’s the tin can. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice