- Going Twitter-dark Dec 22 at 5:30pm Pacific, through morning of Jan 3. May break silence for Instagr/am/bient project notice. #
- The 15th Instagr/am/bient track (of 25) arrived; 10 to go, 2 to be trimmed. The parallels of visual and sonic filters soon to be shared. #
- Thanks to Jaime Crespo (http://t.co/PtwPMjk0) for drawing my Twitter-background boombox. It’s the 21st monthly Sketches of Sound piece. #
- Thanks to @bartalos for drawing the bicycle horns that were my Twitter background for past month! It was the 20th monthly Sketches of Sound. #
- The trailer to Prometheus employs the screams (among other things) from the 1979 Alien trailer: http://t.co/MUtF8ogd per @io9 #
- Are there iOS or OS X apps making creative use of Home Sharing? Or is it solely an iTunes-to-iTunes (or in iOS, “Music”) thing? #
- Morning listen: Cliff Martinez’s score to Espion(s). #
- RT @xeni: Has anyone else who had MRI ever considered that the opening stanzas sound like intro to “Blue Monday”? And the chirping is cute. #
- Another 4 Instagr/am/bient track in my inbox this morning. We’re up to 13 completed (1 pending edit) and 12 due. More than halfway there. #
- Have now received 10 of the 25 Instagr/am/bient tracks. Two need a little trimming, 15 more to come by Christmas Eve. #
- Always nice when the band that’s due to play the cafe where you’re getting some writing done turns out to be a string quartet. #
- The Wikipedia fundraising photos are funny. But a phrase like “personal appeal from an author of 2,463 Wikipedia articles” is a cry for help #
- Thanks! RT @SactownMagazine: Check out great Atlantic piece about silent computing by Sactown writer Marc Weidenbaum: http://t.co/hhfpwqdC #
- Going Twitter-dark for a week or so, except when time to mention Instgr/am/bient album’s release. Dark on eve of Dec 22, back on Jan 3 morn. #
- The Instagr/am/bient entries are coming in left and right. Remember, they should be between 1 minute and three minutes in length. #
- Generative sound app new/improved RT @ThicketApp: #ThicketReboot released and free! Video: http://t.co/dt3veWPR iTunes: http://t.co/4OGZMj5i #
- Noon bells against a plaintive airplane drone. #
- We have a winner! The first stage of the Voight-Gnirut Fail Test is getting the joke. RT @GlennF: @disquiet The Gnirut Fail? #
- What’s the opposite of the Turing Test, where you see bloggers fall for the fawning praise of comment-spammers looking for link-backs? #
- New Thunderbird installed. Hopeful that little “crashes a lot” thing has been ironed out. #
- Thus far in my home-stereo fiddling, none of the words in “Universal Plug and Play” (aka uPnP) seem fully valid. #win7 #ios #lion #android #
- RIP, Norman Krim (b. 1913), early Radio Shack owner and “electronics visionary” who championed the transistor http://t.co/WwarVZXf #
- This is @cdmblogs at its best. Thoughtful commentary, developer overview of generative app development (Pugs Luv Beats) http://t.co/gZqvb0QA #
- Odd @TheEconomist “Amen Break” story: Why now? No comparison to “Funky Drummer.” Ubiquity attributed to “some people.” http://t.co/Dz2wTXWf #
- Frank survival research. RT @xeni: IN CLOSING, MRI is like an SRL show inside tiny metal coffin. I’ll close my eyes & think of Mark Pauline. #
- Tuesday noon siren while reading Hickory, Dickory, Dock with my (nearly) 16-month-old. #
- In netlabel-land, the exquisite corpse at @vuzhmusic‘s dystimbria.cc is one of my favorite things, so much so I forget to write about it. #
- .@taylordeupree Was gonna say the Boats CD is best way to greet dawn, but any overstatement would be untrue to the music’s understatement. in reply to taylordeupree #
- It’s a measure of Rezor’s work that Dragon Tattoo contains some of my favorite loud music and quiet music of the year. #
- The Boats’ Ballads of the Research Department (12k) is a fine dawn listen. #
- For those about to light the candles, here’s the Hanukkah remix project I put together last year with @tabletmag: http://t.co/ls8MA1yq #
- “Ambient overblown” is a relative thing. RT @ooray: Mostly done with my instagr(am)ient track for @disquiet. Overblown & symphonic as usual. #
- Great list. The Yogurt and the Drive are great. RT @emarg0ed: New post: Music, twenty-eleven http://t.co/Y9vqaJBI #2011faves #
- RIP, Warren Hellman (b. 1934). Thank you for having Nick Lowe play for free blocks from my house years after year. #
- Tracks thus far are great RT @earsmack Submitted my Instagr/am/bient composition to @disquiet. Can’t wait to listen to the final compilation #
- Ever since “Dear Leader” passed, all I can think of is the depiction in World War Z of North Korea going dark. #
- Originally felt like Blade Runner. Now fully existential. RT @colinholter: @disquiet Directly related to fear you may be a computer program. #
- The persistent fear that you will fail to accurately enter captchas. #
- Noon: vintage church bells and carburetors. #
- At the risk of sounding polemical, it is safe to say that all bands now are post-rock bands, even rock bands. #
- As I ponder my favorites of the year in various categories, this is easily the record I have listened to most often: http://t.co/FgBIzr9y #
- Totally! We need a 40-Part Motet version of Unsilent Night with 4 Jamboxes atop circulating Roombas. RT @qDot Roombas! #
- Need to set up “40 Part Motet” version of Unsilent Night: a room with 4 Jamboxes, each playing 1 of the 4 parts. Maybe on a trolley system. #
- RIP, Vaclav Havel (b. 1936). It’s said that everyone who bought the first Velvet Underground album upon release later started a revolution. #
- “Certificate of destruction.” Language from the competitive realm of per-pound paper-shredding services. And the next Guns & Roses album. #
- “Smallest cross-cut shred in the city.” Language from the competitive realm of per-pound paper-shredding services. #
- Been expecting this. RT @cocoalabs: Ack! iTunes match replaced some of my parental advisory rap w/ clean versions. Terrible! Tx @lucas_gonze #
- From Unsilent Night, up Mission to Tikva Records. A good Saturday night. #
- Best Unsilent Night I have attended: great crowd, no rain, strong sound, and curious bystanders. #
- Thanks to @pheezy for hooking his Jambox to my iPad for the Unsilent Night march. #
- Beautiful jellyfish stop traffic as Unsilenters head down 19th St. http://t.co/hRDaGezH #
- Unsilent Night miracle: 7:25pm parking a block and a half from starting point. #
- Check out @dpnem list of his 100 favorite #netlabel music of the year: http://t.co/JDHndwmT. I’ll have my list up by year’s end, #
- For those not about to rock Unsilent Night, maybe my stationary recording of 2010’s San Francisco event will suffice: http://t.co/vJ32jXMv #
- Dear Hive, Film-Score Unit: Is Nathan Larson’s music for Margin Call or Jon Brion’s for The Future available commercially? #
- For tweets focused on sound art, follow @liminallistener, a subsidiary of @Vuzhmusic Enterprises. #
- RIP, Cesária Évora (b. 1941), legendary Cape Verde singer. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
Chris: "Love this post, Marc. A great slice of this year’s news … "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends. • 0259 / Signals Lost / Summon up a horror story in sound.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice