- Jan 7 = Instragr/am/bient Track 07: @benjamindauer responds in slow swells to @markrushtoncom's Rothkoesque @instagram: http://t.co/BoEju71d #
- Music from ice. Already 7 tracks in first Disquiet Junto communal sound project: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Jan 6 = Instagr/am/bient Track 06 = @falsereactions renders Dead Wood's municipal @instagram image http://t.co/O8cooMYZ #
- Belated: Jan 5 = Instagr/am/bient Track 05 = Nibblets renders Vourtsis' glistening @instagram: http://t.co/K5mjcp44 #
- Already three fine entries in the first communal http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 @soundcloud project: http://t.co/anQFre9l #oumupo #
- Socal cafe etiquette http://t.co/Jg61iLsg #
- Definitely not too late. RT @OpenHeartSound don't think it's too late to get in on 1st soundcloud junto http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Two great tastes. Listen simultaneously. RT @morganpackard What to listen to while I work… Basic Channel or Burt Bacharach? #
- Morning sounds in Pasadena: occasional bird calls, cars skirting stop signs on moist pavement. #
- Pretty sweet exhibit of vinyl record players at SFO: Revolutions per Minute. http://t.co/huWhNbeQ #
- Please tell me that someone somewhere right now is writing a proper, thorough biography of Wallace Stevens. #
- Details on communal music project I mentioned if you're into participating: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Yellow is my favorite color. By far. RT @leonrosado hey Marc @disquiet curious if you have any favorite frequency/note like a favorite color #
- First bus ride with RJDJ in months. Bing echo bleep echo. #
- Good response so far: 1, make electronic music; 2, are on @soundcloud; 3, wanna participate in fast-turnaround sampling project? Lemme know. #
- We launched Instagr/am/bient exactly a week ago. Over 14,500 listens since. Thank you, everyone involved, for this. http://t.co/I0nPVLla #
- If you 1, make electronic music; 2, are on @soundcloud; 3, want to participate in fast-turnaround sampling project lemme know. #
- Prepping for 42 hours in Los Angeles. #
- Shout-out to futureprüf dot com for its efforts in the recent upgrade to my site (disquiet dot com). #
- "our closest fans": somewhat inscrutable construction from recent Metallica promotional email #
- Jan 04 = Instagr/am/bient Track 04 = Dublin's @oootini saw rooftop @instagram by Chicago's @XYZR_KX, made burbling tune http://t.co/sFklMtG7 #
- Instagr/am/bient: Behind the Music. A dozen of its 25 musicians discuss process in this post-in-progress: http://t.co/cVd0SIOu #
- 38, 82, 193, 265, 271, 459, 582, 642, 772, 870, 931: the pages in the book 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die featuring my writing #
- 11: number of minutes spent in library before hearing someone's laptop start-up sound (Mac) #
- 12,000: number of listens in less than 6 days to Instagr/am/bient (musicians respond to each other's @instagram photos) http://t.co/vgxaQCya #
- Tuesday noon siren on what functions like a Monday. #
- Got copy of 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die. I wrote a dozen entries. Will soon post on the sonic properties of one. #
- Jan 03 = Instagr/am/bient Track 03 = @dirtydemos turns @instagram shot by @jbutlerjbutler into audio of rough textures http://t.co/ljgKxWYq #
- RIP, musician @rlainhart, the first person who's died whom I have communicated with only via Twitter // via @cdmblogs; http://t.co/rvOF4Hgj #
- 342,000: number of Google returns for "I don't own a TV but" #
- Jan 02 = Instagr/am/bient Track 02 = @c_bissonnette's audio take on @wcraghead's cathode @instagram of his own drawing: http://t.co/J9lkho2X #
- Jan 01 = Instagr/am/bient Track 01 = @mapmap's sonic rendering of a @falsereactions @instagram photo: http://t.co/BPjjGBtG #
- OK, major thanks to folks for the Instagr/am/bient support. Now resuming Twitter-dark status. Back on morning of January 3. Farewell, 2011. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet. • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice