- There are 13 duets for fog horn and steam whistle in the Junto, and midnight Monday, the deadline, is a long way away: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Jan 14 = Instagr/am/bient Track 14 = @atlastop's rendering of an @instagram by @mapmap : http://t.co/UQhCnz1W #
- All but 2 Instagr/am/bient tracks have over 300 plays on @soundcloud. One has over 3,500. Three others have over 1,000: http://t.co/I0nPVLla #
- RIP, prolific Japanese composer Sadao Bekku (b. 1922), whose work included the score to Matango (aka Attack of the Mushroom People). #
- Already 7 duets for fog horn & train whistle in second Junto. Looking forward to new ones between now & midnight Monday http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Jan 13 = Instagr/am/bient Track 13 = @markrushtoncom's sonic "floatation tank" inspired by Oootini's @instagram: http://t.co/Hs3wcUc4 #
- "post processing was extensive": @atlastop on his Instagr/am/bient track: http://t.co/gSa80oNc #
- Noon bells against the brakes of an 18-wheeler making a sudden stop. #
- Prong to play Fullerton, Sacramento, Santa Clara & Fresno but not San Francisco. Any number of its song titles encapsulate my disappointment #
- A helpful description by @jbutlerjbutler about his contribution to the first Disquiet Junto: http://t.co/lj0FCoBi #
- Yes, for Disquiet Junto 2 just use those two sounds. RT @gesslr: Does that mean the only *sounds* in the piece are based on those 2 samples #
- Woke to three tracks in the just announced Disquiet Junto #2 http://t.co/b3zkjOoh #foghorn #trainwhistle #
- Disquiet Junto #2 "Duet for Fog Horn & Train Whistle." Horn: http://t.co/yoQPZq7l Whistle: http://t.co/OhrwFTq3 Info: http://t.co/DcE5w7zf #
- You're on the list until you request not to be. RT @_muncky: if one signs up for #junto is it necessary to sign up each week? #
- 2nd Disquiet Junto to be announced shortly. Track due by midnight Monday. (Send me your email for details. Or read: http://t.co/DcE5w7zf.) #
- Jan 12 = Instagr/am/bient Track 12 = @warrencraghead collated field recordings to respond to @orangecookie's @instagram http://t.co/NsxMZ2z9 #
- If you do Facebook, there's a Disquiet page: http://t.co/vEwdbjEe. It's not as natural to me as Twitter, but conversations do occur. #
- PR emails announcing "new album title revealed" exist to demarcate the bottom threshold of information. #
- Me, too. Sorting out details (assignment, FAQ revisions). RT @gesslr: @disquiet – anxiously awaiting the next in the #junto series. #
- An email in which the inadvertently embedded raw .ics data includes the phrase "CALSCALE:GREGORIAN" feels very Anathem. #
- Jan 11 = Instagr/am/bient Track 11 = @jbutlerjbutler at the sonic crack of dawn thanks to an @instagram by @stijnhuwels http://t.co/iqpOS7V2 #
- Belated: Jan 10 = Instagr/am/bient Track 10 = @pheezy sight-reading a graphic-score @instagram by @betteroffted http://t.co/Bteg15yX #
- Morning music: 8-artist Disquiet.com project due for release soon. After open-ended @Instagram/Junto, a return to concise curatorial mode. #
- I don't write a lot about music/sound from Portugal, Russia, & China just because I hope to figure out a reason to travel there. Not just. #
- Judging by his song titles, the talented Justin Hardison is doing the "track a day" thing at his @soundcloud account: http://t.co/BGvvhvhA #
- Promised I'd write about more commercial music in 2012 than I did in '11. Things like new Bacanal Intruder make it easy http://t.co/bOAWSMxN #
- The second or third rule of being a parent: talk with other parents. Good time spent with @richardnixon and clan this past week. #
- Pondering projects for next Disquiet Junto communal music endeavor. Many ideas, but which to go with for our second outing? #
- Where's Waldo? RT @cinchel: listening to submissions in @disquiet Junto http://t.co/E2lJOh30 sometimes hard to find ice sample. kinda fun. #
- Probably sounds unlikely given how quickly Disquiet Junto followed up Instagr/am/bient, but 8-artist Disquiet project due soon. Details TK. #
- As midnight nears, tracks pop up in the Disquiet Junto from Sedona, Oakland, and Chicago: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Two hours until midnight, and there's 49 tracks added to http://t.co/anQFre9l since Friday. Crazy. Much more music ahead. #
- Not gonna sleep until I hear this. RT @whyarcka: currently making music out of ice in a glass for @disquiet – junto –> http://t.co/E2lJOh30 #
- Just sent an email to Disquiet Junto members. If you didn't get it & want it send me your email address. http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- For the record, was referring to pledge-reward hijinks. :) RT @mlaffs: @disquiet described @kickstarter as "the garage sale of our times" #
- Watched enough of NBC's The Firm to note it dispenses, sadly, with the piano-only approach that made Dave Grusin's original score unique. #
- Instagr/am/bient update: track by @pheezy got airplay on @wfmu today: http://t.co/hezzmceD #
- Rough = good. Disquiet Junto is process, not finished work. RT @ambienteer piece is a little rough around the edges but it was fun making it #
- Commenting's been unexpectedly strong. RT @benjamindauer: Thanks everyone who listened/commented on my Junto submission http://t.co/Om79tNcF #
- Jan 09 = Instagr/am/bient Track 09 = @jredsmyth turns @benjamindauer's watery @instagram into lovely ebb and flow http://t.co/9t76LtZP #
- Woke to 40 tracks in Disquiet Junto communal sound project: goo.gl/beBDB. 1st session ends midnight tonight. 2nd starts this Thursday night. #
- Jan 8 = Instagr/am/bient Track 8 = earsmack's take on a Ronny Nibblets @instagram: http://t.co/YL26M5Yy #
- Into coding, not codification. #
- What a title. RT @sunhammer just uploaded my song for @disquiet junto, '"Please don't cast Ice Cube in Friday" – Jon Hamm' snd.sc/xmaI9i #
- Drinking my morning iced coffee while listening to the 24 (!) tracks that have accumulated in the first Disquiet Junto @soundcloud project. #
- Thanks for joining in drone-tastically. RT @resonantstrata: Audio: my contribution to the latest @disquiet project http://t.co/yqFscuF7 #
- RIP, Japanese composer Hikaru Hayashi (b. 1931), whose film work included Voice Without a Shadow, Death by Hanging, and The Naked Island. #
- RIP, Tom Ardolino (b. 1955), drummer for NRBQ. #
- Thanks for additional context. RT @markrushtoncom: thoughts on track Bruises for @disquiet junto "Ice" http://t.co/aw6OUaP5 #disquietjunto #
- Exited plane at SFO from LAX to find 14 tracks of music made from ice in 1st Disquiet Junto session: http://t.co/caq3cfDh #
- Very much looking forward. RT @ambienteer: Making weird noises with ice cubes and glass… #
- The fuzzy, distorting amplifiers at Virgin America LAX are designed to promote a riot mentality among its boarding passengers. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
Monsterovich: "https://soundcloud.com/losttal entgroup Join us if you want normal groups back. "
spacebox720: "Hi, I’m spacebox720 and i stumbled over your article. I really enjoyed and would like to say..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union. • 0243 / Synth Trial / The Assignment: Share the best track from your audition tape for Blade Runner 2.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice