- RIP, church organist Gerre Hancock (b. 1934). On mastering his instrument: "Coordination is key. But so are earplugs." http://t.co/D21x1Mnw #
- Good use of "also": "[T]hey found a computer monitor and 2 video surveillance cameras. They also located a large amount of methamphetamine." #
- Dean Westerfield posted a comic of his I edited back in 1997, about a concert from five years earlier: http://t.co/BDpIRJtC #
- Already 7 @mapmap remixes at http://t.co/anQFre9l, all sharing the same 10 core audio samples, and we're barely a day in. #
- Senior citizen who complained loudly in cafe about loud babies now on cellphone. Prediction: Will criticize loud typing. #
- Senior citizen complaining loudly in cafe about how loud babies can be. #
- Love that this site sells the 97 super-brief tracks of Aidan Baker's The Spectrum of Distraction album for $.09 each: http://t.co/DZ0gM32p #
- Mailman back online. First http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 email newsletter of 2012 sent out. If you thought you should get it and didn't, lemme know. #
- The sampled speaks. RT @mapmap: @stringbot @disquiet do it!!! You have my blessing ;) #
- Tear the roof off. RT @stringbot: Who thinks I should drop some bass in this weekend's @disquiet track? #
- Good redundancy: multiple data backups. Bad redundancy: being told a site is inaccessible due to a "degradation of service." #
- Politics damages music. Exhibit A: Diego Bernal has released no music since election to San Antonio City Council. Our loss, his city's gain. #
- RIP, Clare Fischer (b. 1928), who did arrangements for Prince, Sérgio Mendes, João Gilberto, and others. #pensativa #
- We've got fog horns, on a sunny day. #
- Nice! Ice! RT @mrgavinedwards: I'm not tailoring my photo selection for @disquiet. It just feels that way: http://t.co/xEgKWvPl #
- Most obnoxious headline of the day goes to @artinfodotcom: "Lou Reed Tries to Pass Off Failed Album as Art": http://t.co/Z4Fen7cc #
- There's only one netlabel geocoded as Chinese (+ 2 Taiwan, 1 Hong Kong) in catalog at @dpnem's http://t.co/tTZFsXam. How is this possible? #
- Already two entries in @mapmap remix Disquiet Junto project, one each from @webbedhand & @markrushtoncom: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Apparently I was either the 999th or 1000th person to "like" restingbell dot net on Facebook. Eagerly awaiting its first release of 2012. #
- They have proven to be a renewable resource. RT @aoscrowley: @disquiet Heard the fog horns today. The #conspiracy must have failed. #
- The 4th Disquiet Junto project is a remix of a track off the new album by @mapmap, aka Marcus Fischer: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Next Disquiet Junto project to be announced momentarily. #
- #overheard #macworld #iworld "I've never been convinced people are married to their media player." #
- May need to join Habanero Anonyous. #
- Noon bells seem to fade into the fog as they decay. #
- Hoping to make the Andrea Williams / Jen Boyd show tonight at Luggage Store Gallery in San Francisco: 8pm, 1007 Market. #
- Being followed by lots of bots that have yet to tweet: PTSD flashbacks to the CGI droid army assembling in Phantom Menace. #
- Increasingly convinced this year's Oscar nominations for best score are a retrograde corrective to last year's Reznor/Ross win. #
- The one good thing about all the PR-spam I get is that it suggests there, somewhere, is an idiot-proof alternative to Mailman. #
- I'll go with "unfortunate" + "looking for inexpensive alternative." RT @GlennF: @disquiet It's mailman. That's not weird at all. #
- Ready to send first http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 email newsletter of the year but my Mailman install isn't working. Weird. #gnu #sad #
- There's an email announcement list for Disquiet Junto; let me know if you want on. Also look to Info tab on Soundcloud page. Cc @dtauvdiodr in reply to dtauvdiodr #
- OK, about 24 hours until announcement of next Disquiet Junto project: a remix based on a set of shared samples. #
- All but 4 Instagr/am/bient tracks at over 400 @soundcloud listens. Top one over 4,000. #instagram #crazy http://t.co/I0nPVLla #
- Thanks for reviving Kikapu, one of the earliest netlabels. RT @emarg0ed: @disquiet hey thanks for the plug on disquiet. #
- I'll collect these in a post shortly. RT @robotdancerobot: process post about making of piece for @disquiet junto 3: http://t.co/1WPcaxk7 #
- Jan 25 = Instagr/am/bient Track 25 = Christopher Olson's rendition of an @instagram by @ooray: http://t.co/MO8IW4FQ #
- Belated: Jan 24 = Instagr/am/bient Track 24 = @naotko's rendition of an @instagram by Christopher Olson http://t.co/7YW3SUU6 #
- There should be a movie that's just Gary Oldman and Ewan McGregor doing Alec Guinness impressions. #
- 32 tracks in Junto project 3. Project 4 TBA Thursday. It's a remix affair with lovely source material: http://t.co/caq3cfDh #
- Advice from coffee bean exporters to ambient/drone musicians. http://t.co/kubvQJFW #
- A well-loved keyboard. http://t.co/0y9xDd4V #
- Great. Such constraints are what the Junto is all about. RT @nofi: @disquiet Glad I could this week. I'm enjoying the creative constraints. #
- Deleted 2 tracks that appeared on Disquiet Junto @soundcloud page. Why would someone associate tracks that have nothing to do with a group? #
- Are the Oscar nominees for best score a reaction to last year's win for Reznor/Ross. I mean, two John Williams nominations? #
- Next one's 8 letters. RT @subnaughtsounds: just noticed the name of each @disquiet junto project is one letter longer than the one before :) #
- I worried first "live" Junto would fall on its face but with hours to go there are 30 (!) "expanded glass harp" pieces: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- RIP, Siri's grandfather, aka Dick Tufeld (b. 1926), aka the robot's voice on Lost in Space. #
- 26 tracks in latest Junto. 3 new ones from @ambienteer (Guildford, Surrey) @oootini (Dublin) @jonautry (Brooklyn): http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Jan 23 = Instagr/am/bient Track 23 = XYZR_KX's take on an @instagram by @earsmack: http://t.co/LUGI6Tv4 #
- Firecrackers rattle and resound on the way to Sichuan lunch. #
- Tremendous. RT @falsereactions: Wow. My contribution to the 'Instagr/am/bient' comp broke 1,000 plays: http://t.co/O8cooMYZ #
- 2 more "expanded glass harp" works: @markrushton (Iowa City) & Junto first-timer @ElstPizarro (Paris): soundcloud.com/groups/disquiet-junto #
- Jan 22 = Instagr/am/bient Track 22 = @_muncky's take on an @instagram by @pheezy: http://t.co/i6MF8eCi #
- Full day still to go, and there are 20 live "expanded glass harp" recordings at http://t.co/anQFre9l. Latest from @hecanjog #
- RIP, experimental filmmaker Robert Nelson (b. 1930): http://t.co/WKV3OC7D #
- Sound-related terms learned recently from other fields: "first crack" (coffee-roasting stage); "base/heart/top notes" (perfumery elements). #
- Oh, that's what that is. @otologist: My entry to the latest @disquiet missive, using a snifter filled with satan juice. http://t.co/4gtBHpYb #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound." • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice