- RIP, church organist Gerre Hancock (b. 1934). On mastering his instrument: "Coordination is key. But so are earplugs." http://t.co/D21x1Mnw #
- Good use of "also": "[T]hey found a computer monitor and 2 video surveillance cameras. They also located a large amount of methamphetamine." #
- Dean Westerfield posted a comic of his I edited back in 1997, about a concert from five years earlier: http://t.co/BDpIRJtC #
- Already 7 @mapmap remixes at http://t.co/anQFre9l, all sharing the same 10 core audio samples, and we're barely a day in. #
- Senior citizen who complained loudly in cafe about loud babies now on cellphone. Prediction: Will criticize loud typing. #
- Senior citizen complaining loudly in cafe about how loud babies can be. #
- Love that this site sells the 97 super-brief tracks of Aidan Baker's The Spectrum of Distraction album for $.09 each: http://t.co/DZ0gM32p #
- Mailman back online. First http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 email newsletter of 2012 sent out. If you thought you should get it and didn't, lemme know. #
- The sampled speaks. RT @mapmap: @stringbot @disquiet do it!!! You have my blessing ;) #
- Tear the roof off. RT @stringbot: Who thinks I should drop some bass in this weekend's @disquiet track? #
- Good redundancy: multiple data backups. Bad redundancy: being told a site is inaccessible due to a "degradation of service." #
- Politics damages music. Exhibit A: Diego Bernal has released no music since election to San Antonio City Council. Our loss, his city's gain. #
- RIP, Clare Fischer (b. 1928), who did arrangements for Prince, Sérgio Mendes, João Gilberto, and others. #pensativa #
- We've got fog horns, on a sunny day. #
- Nice! Ice! RT @mrgavinedwards: I'm not tailoring my photo selection for @disquiet. It just feels that way: http://t.co/xEgKWvPl #
- Most obnoxious headline of the day goes to @artinfodotcom: "Lou Reed Tries to Pass Off Failed Album as Art": http://t.co/Z4Fen7cc #
- There's only one netlabel geocoded as Chinese (+ 2 Taiwan, 1 Hong Kong) in catalog at @dpnem's http://t.co/tTZFsXam. How is this possible? #
- Already two entries in @mapmap remix Disquiet Junto project, one each from @webbedhand & @markrushtoncom: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Apparently I was either the 999th or 1000th person to "like" restingbell dot net on Facebook. Eagerly awaiting its first release of 2012. #
- They have proven to be a renewable resource. RT @aoscrowley: @disquiet Heard the fog horns today. The #conspiracy must have failed. #
- The 4th Disquiet Junto project is a remix of a track off the new album by @mapmap, aka Marcus Fischer: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Next Disquiet Junto project to be announced momentarily. #
- #overheard #macworld #iworld "I've never been convinced people are married to their media player." #
- May need to join Habanero Anonyous. #
- Noon bells seem to fade into the fog as they decay. #
- Hoping to make the Andrea Williams / Jen Boyd show tonight at Luggage Store Gallery in San Francisco: 8pm, 1007 Market. #
- Being followed by lots of bots that have yet to tweet: PTSD flashbacks to the CGI droid army assembling in Phantom Menace. #
- Increasingly convinced this year's Oscar nominations for best score are a retrograde corrective to last year's Reznor/Ross win. #
- The one good thing about all the PR-spam I get is that it suggests there, somewhere, is an idiot-proof alternative to Mailman. #
- I'll go with "unfortunate" + "looking for inexpensive alternative." RT @GlennF: @disquiet It's mailman. That's not weird at all. #
- Ready to send first http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 email newsletter of the year but my Mailman install isn't working. Weird. #gnu #sad #
- There's an email announcement list for Disquiet Junto; let me know if you want on. Also look to Info tab on Soundcloud page. Cc @dtauvdiodr in reply to dtauvdiodr #
- OK, about 24 hours until announcement of next Disquiet Junto project: a remix based on a set of shared samples. #
- All but 4 Instagr/am/bient tracks at over 400 @soundcloud listens. Top one over 4,000. #instagram #crazy http://t.co/I0nPVLla #
- Thanks for reviving Kikapu, one of the earliest netlabels. RT @emarg0ed: @disquiet hey thanks for the plug on disquiet. #
- I'll collect these in a post shortly. RT @robotdancerobot: process post about making of piece for @disquiet junto 3: http://t.co/1WPcaxk7 #
- Jan 25 = Instagr/am/bient Track 25 = Christopher Olson's rendition of an @instagram by @ooray: http://t.co/MO8IW4FQ #
- Belated: Jan 24 = Instagr/am/bient Track 24 = @naotko's rendition of an @instagram by Christopher Olson http://t.co/7YW3SUU6 #
- There should be a movie that's just Gary Oldman and Ewan McGregor doing Alec Guinness impressions. #
- 32 tracks in Junto project 3. Project 4 TBA Thursday. It's a remix affair with lovely source material: http://t.co/caq3cfDh #
- Advice from coffee bean exporters to ambient/drone musicians. http://t.co/kubvQJFW #
- A well-loved keyboard. http://t.co/0y9xDd4V #
- Great. Such constraints are what the Junto is all about. RT @nofi: @disquiet Glad I could this week. I'm enjoying the creative constraints. #
- Deleted 2 tracks that appeared on Disquiet Junto @soundcloud page. Why would someone associate tracks that have nothing to do with a group? #
- Are the Oscar nominees for best score a reaction to last year's win for Reznor/Ross. I mean, two John Williams nominations? #
- Next one's 8 letters. RT @subnaughtsounds: just noticed the name of each @disquiet junto project is one letter longer than the one before :) #
- I worried first "live" Junto would fall on its face but with hours to go there are 30 (!) "expanded glass harp" pieces: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- RIP, Siri's grandfather, aka Dick Tufeld (b. 1926), aka the robot's voice on Lost in Space. #
- 26 tracks in latest Junto. 3 new ones from @ambienteer (Guildford, Surrey) @oootini (Dublin) @jonautry (Brooklyn): http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Jan 23 = Instagr/am/bient Track 23 = XYZR_KX's take on an @instagram by @earsmack: http://t.co/LUGI6Tv4 #
- Firecrackers rattle and resound on the way to Sichuan lunch. #
- Tremendous. RT @falsereactions: Wow. My contribution to the 'Instagr/am/bient' comp broke 1,000 plays: http://t.co/O8cooMYZ #
- 2 more "expanded glass harp" works: @markrushton (Iowa City) & Junto first-timer @ElstPizarro (Paris): soundcloud.com/groups/disquiet-junto #
- Jan 22 = Instagr/am/bient Track 22 = @_muncky's take on an @instagram by @pheezy: http://t.co/i6MF8eCi #
- Full day still to go, and there are 20 live "expanded glass harp" recordings at http://t.co/anQFre9l. Latest from @hecanjog #
- RIP, experimental filmmaker Robert Nelson (b. 1930): http://t.co/WKV3OC7D #
- Sound-related terms learned recently from other fields: "first crack" (coffee-roasting stage); "base/heart/top notes" (perfumery elements). #
- Oh, that's what that is. @otologist: My entry to the latest @disquiet missive, using a snifter filled with satan juice. http://t.co/4gtBHpYb #
5 Most Recent Posts
Spring 2013: The Disquiet Junto is assisting Geoff Manaugh in a course he is teaching at Columbia University's GSAPP, "San Andreas: Architecture for the Fault." Details at bldgblog.blogspot.com.
February 26: I'm giving a three-hour guest lecture about listening to a class on writing for radio productions at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
May 15, 2013: Last day of 15-week course I'm teaching about sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco, California.
Ongoing: In January 2013 I became part of the SoundCloud Heroes project, more on which in the near future. In the short term, full disclosure, I was gifted the top-level account, Pro Plus. Initial post here: "What I'm Up To."
Ongoing: The film The Children Next Door (2012), on which I served as music supervisor and collaborated with Taylor Deupree on sound design, is currently touring festivals. It won a special jury prize at DOC NYC and has also played at the Denver and Hamptons festivals. Directed by Doug Block, produced by Lynda A. Hansen. More at thechildrennextdoor.com.
Down the Pike: Concerts in the Disquiet Junto series are in various stages of planning for London, England; Portland, Oregon; and elsewhere.
Way Down the Pike: Currently writing a book about Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, for the 33 1/3 series.
5 Most Recent Comments
Mushakis: "Ателье штор пошив штор портьер "
ebony webcams: "Excellent, what a web site it is! This webpage presents valuable facts to us, keep it up. "
Adrian Hallam: "Hi Marc, Thank you for the lovely write up about “The Parting”. I Really appreciate it...."
MichaelAshSharbaugh: "Dear Mr .Weidenbaum, Good Day! How are you? I just now saw the write-up you gave Adrian..."
Nick Cooke: "Really interesting use of an interesting instrument. "
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. These are the weekly projects to date: 1: ice cubes • 2: duet for foghorn and steam whistle • 3: expanded glass harp • 4: remixing Marcus Fischer • 5: adding sounds to everyday life • 6: remixing archival Edison cylinders • 7: create through subtraction • 8: rework Benjamin Franklin's autobiography • 9: cross-species collaboration • 10: remix a previous Junto track • 11: everyday mechanical rhythms • 12: cut and paste • 13: remixing wild Up playing Shostakovich • 14: sonic version of Matt Madden's Oubapo story • 15: aural RGB • 16: sandpaper and dice • 17: transition between field and composed • 18: relative prominence • 19: graphic score (photo by Yojiro Imasaka) • 20: use the NodeBeat app • 21: the four seasons • 22: sonic decay • 23: palindrone • 24: a suite of sonic alerts • 25: remixing project 24 • 26: making music from your trash • 27: turm the instruction text into sound • 28: remix a netlabel release • 29: music from water, inspired by William Gibson's Count Zero • 30: sounds from silence • 31: Revisiting a 1955 Yoko Ono Fluxus piece • 32: sonify the 2012 U.S. presidential election polling data • 33: making music with a turntable but without vinyl • 34: Use the theme song of the Radius broadcast as the source of an original composition • 35: Make music from a sample page of Beck's Song Reader sheet music • 36: Reworking Bach into abstract expressionism • 37: The sound of commerce • 38: Make a fake field recording • 39: Combine three tracks from the Nowaki netlabel into one • 40: Turn a Kenneth Kirschner duet into a trio • 41: Dirty minimalism • 42: Record a "naive melody" with your oldest and newest instruments> • 43: Make mechanical roars from the sound of a retail space • 44: Transition from storm to calm using field recordings from Sandy 2012 • 45: Combine material from the public domain adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Tom Sawyer • 46: Investigate a recording of the voting process for its "sonic fingerprint." • 47: Turn the muffled voices of a distant party into the foundation of a recording. • 48: Celebrate the Creative Commons license that allows for derivative works by remixing music from the Three Legs Duck netlabel. • 49: Make a track, 50% of which is the sound of a tape cassette deck in motion. • 50: Encode a word or phrase in Morse Code and employ that as a track's rhythm. • 51: Create a 2012 audio diary with a dozen five-second segments. • 52: Celebrate the Creative Commons by remixing three tracks from the Bump Foot netlabel. • 53: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it (redux). • 54: Create an original musical score for the day's news. • 55: Combine two Nils Frahm solo piano pieces into one. • 56: Make music from the sound of the tick of a clock. • 57: Use sounds from the Phonetics Lab Archive at UCLA to depict emotions. • 58: Celebrate the Creative Commons by remixing three tracks from the Endless Ascent netlabel. • 59: Make music from three randomly assigned vowels. • 60: Record something about yourself and your music/sound in your own words and voice. • 61: Record a single for which the cover would be the image suggested by a @textinstagram tweet. • 62: Make music using just three sine waves. • 63: Make a new piece of music based on an echo-laden re-recording of Gregorian chant. • 64: Compose a piece to align with, from memory, 60 seconds of everyday sound. • 65: Compose music atop a randomly assigned segment of a pre-existing track by Jared Brickman. • 66: Collaborate posthumously with the late Jeffrey (Nofi) Melton. • 67: Compose music for a phrase from Homer's The Odyssey • 68: Combine three songs from the first release of the new deriv.cc netlabel. • 69: Make music from field recordings of earth, water, air, and fire. • 70: Create a single piece of music from two tones and three beats. • 71: Create an original score to the trailer to Christine Knowlton's film about blind sailors.
Tags8-bit android app audio-games chiptune classical comics copyleft demix field-recording film forum-digger free gadget generative i-hop installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch jazz junto live-performance mp3 discussion group netlabel noise reactive remix rock science-fiction score silence site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands turntablism TV video video-games voice year's best
- So happy to have contributed. MT @SenseTheWind: New teaser coming soon thanks to a collaboration w/ @djunto: disquiet.com/2013/05/09/dis… 15 hours ago
- Fiddling in Codecademy a week before my 25th college reunion, just to get me back in the freshman-year frame of mind. 16 hours ago
- Making relaxing music from domestic alarms. The 72nd weekly @djunto project is now live: disquiet.com/2013/05/16/dis… soundcloud.com/groups/disquie… 1 day ago
- 72nd Disquiet Junto project going live later this evening. 2 days ago
- Grok. Detail from side of Robert Heinlein paperback box set. instagram.com/p/ZZFbQcLImf/ 2 days ago