- RIP, church organist Gerre Hancock (b. 1934). On mastering his instrument: "Coordination is key. But so are earplugs." http://t.co/D21x1Mnw #
- Good use of "also": "[T]hey found a computer monitor and 2 video surveillance cameras. They also located a large amount of methamphetamine." #
- Dean Westerfield posted a comic of his I edited back in 1997, about a concert from five years earlier: http://t.co/BDpIRJtC #
- Already 7 @mapmap remixes at http://t.co/anQFre9l, all sharing the same 10 core audio samples, and we're barely a day in. #
- Senior citizen who complained loudly in cafe about loud babies now on cellphone. Prediction: Will criticize loud typing. #
- Senior citizen complaining loudly in cafe about how loud babies can be. #
- Love that this site sells the 97 super-brief tracks of Aidan Baker's The Spectrum of Distraction album for $.09 each: http://t.co/DZ0gM32p #
- Mailman back online. First http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 email newsletter of 2012 sent out. If you thought you should get it and didn't, lemme know. #
- The sampled speaks. RT @mapmap: @stringbot @disquiet do it!!! You have my blessing ;) #
- Tear the roof off. RT @stringbot: Who thinks I should drop some bass in this weekend's @disquiet track? #
- Good redundancy: multiple data backups. Bad redundancy: being told a site is inaccessible due to a "degradation of service." #
- Politics damages music. Exhibit A: Diego Bernal has released no music since election to San Antonio City Council. Our loss, his city's gain. #
- RIP, Clare Fischer (b. 1928), who did arrangements for Prince, Sérgio Mendes, João Gilberto, and others. #pensativa #
- We've got fog horns, on a sunny day. #
- Nice! Ice! RT @mrgavinedwards: I'm not tailoring my photo selection for @disquiet. It just feels that way: http://t.co/xEgKWvPl #
- Most obnoxious headline of the day goes to @artinfodotcom: "Lou Reed Tries to Pass Off Failed Album as Art": http://t.co/Z4Fen7cc #
- There's only one netlabel geocoded as Chinese (+ 2 Taiwan, 1 Hong Kong) in catalog at @dpnem's http://t.co/tTZFsXam. How is this possible? #
- Already two entries in @mapmap remix Disquiet Junto project, one each from @webbedhand & @markrushtoncom: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Apparently I was either the 999th or 1000th person to "like" restingbell dot net on Facebook. Eagerly awaiting its first release of 2012. #
- They have proven to be a renewable resource. RT @aoscrowley: @disquiet Heard the fog horns today. The #conspiracy must have failed. #
- The 4th Disquiet Junto project is a remix of a track off the new album by @mapmap, aka Marcus Fischer: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Next Disquiet Junto project to be announced momentarily. #
- #overheard #macworld #iworld "I've never been convinced people are married to their media player." #
- May need to join Habanero Anonyous. #
- Noon bells seem to fade into the fog as they decay. #
- Hoping to make the Andrea Williams / Jen Boyd show tonight at Luggage Store Gallery in San Francisco: 8pm, 1007 Market. #
- Being followed by lots of bots that have yet to tweet: PTSD flashbacks to the CGI droid army assembling in Phantom Menace. #
- Increasingly convinced this year's Oscar nominations for best score are a retrograde corrective to last year's Reznor/Ross win. #
- The one good thing about all the PR-spam I get is that it suggests there, somewhere, is an idiot-proof alternative to Mailman. #
- I'll go with "unfortunate" + "looking for inexpensive alternative." RT @GlennF: @disquiet It's mailman. That's not weird at all. #
- Ready to send first http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 email newsletter of the year but my Mailman install isn't working. Weird. #gnu #sad #
- There's an email announcement list for Disquiet Junto; let me know if you want on. Also look to Info tab on Soundcloud page. Cc @dtauvdiodr in reply to dtauvdiodr #
- OK, about 24 hours until announcement of next Disquiet Junto project: a remix based on a set of shared samples. #
- All but 4 Instagr/am/bient tracks at over 400 @soundcloud listens. Top one over 4,000. #instagram #crazy http://t.co/I0nPVLla #
- Thanks for reviving Kikapu, one of the earliest netlabels. RT @emarg0ed: @disquiet hey thanks for the plug on disquiet. #
- I'll collect these in a post shortly. RT @robotdancerobot: process post about making of piece for @disquiet junto 3: http://t.co/1WPcaxk7 #
- Jan 25 = Instagr/am/bient Track 25 = Christopher Olson's rendition of an @instagram by @ooray: http://t.co/MO8IW4FQ #
- Belated: Jan 24 = Instagr/am/bient Track 24 = @naotko's rendition of an @instagram by Christopher Olson http://t.co/7YW3SUU6 #
- There should be a movie that's just Gary Oldman and Ewan McGregor doing Alec Guinness impressions. #
- 32 tracks in Junto project 3. Project 4 TBA Thursday. It's a remix affair with lovely source material: http://t.co/caq3cfDh #
- Advice from coffee bean exporters to ambient/drone musicians. http://t.co/kubvQJFW #
- A well-loved keyboard. http://t.co/0y9xDd4V #
- Great. Such constraints are what the Junto is all about. RT @nofi: @disquiet Glad I could this week. I'm enjoying the creative constraints. #
- Deleted 2 tracks that appeared on Disquiet Junto @soundcloud page. Why would someone associate tracks that have nothing to do with a group? #
- Are the Oscar nominees for best score a reaction to last year's win for Reznor/Ross. I mean, two John Williams nominations? #
- Next one's 8 letters. RT @subnaughtsounds: just noticed the name of each @disquiet junto project is one letter longer than the one before :) #
- I worried first "live" Junto would fall on its face but with hours to go there are 30 (!) "expanded glass harp" pieces: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- RIP, Siri's grandfather, aka Dick Tufeld (b. 1926), aka the robot's voice on Lost in Space. #
- 26 tracks in latest Junto. 3 new ones from @ambienteer (Guildford, Surrey) @oootini (Dublin) @jonautry (Brooklyn): http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Jan 23 = Instagr/am/bient Track 23 = XYZR_KX's take on an @instagram by @earsmack: http://t.co/LUGI6Tv4 #
- Firecrackers rattle and resound on the way to Sichuan lunch. #
- Tremendous. RT @falsereactions: Wow. My contribution to the 'Instagr/am/bient' comp broke 1,000 plays: http://t.co/O8cooMYZ #
- 2 more "expanded glass harp" works: @markrushton (Iowa City) & Junto first-timer @ElstPizarro (Paris): soundcloud.com/groups/disquiet-junto #
- Jan 22 = Instagr/am/bient Track 22 = @_muncky's take on an @instagram by @pheezy: http://t.co/i6MF8eCi #
- Full day still to go, and there are 20 live "expanded glass harp" recordings at http://t.co/anQFre9l. Latest from @hecanjog #
- RIP, experimental filmmaker Robert Nelson (b. 1930): http://t.co/WKV3OC7D #
- Sound-related terms learned recently from other fields: "first crack" (coffee-roasting stage); "base/heart/top notes" (perfumery elements). #
- Oh, that's what that is. @otologist: My entry to the latest @disquiet missive, using a snifter filled with satan juice. http://t.co/4gtBHpYb #
5 Most Recent Comments
Larry Johnson: "Love these mini-creations. Did a remix here: https://soundcloud.com/l-a-..."
Larry Johnson: "Just this Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=05quVI7Ioqc (Quote: An alternate version of..."
Éric Legendre: "Also interesting [aside from the nice groove] to see that the piece comes with cover art & is..."
Larry Johnson: "Marc: Sent you an email with the remix attached (I think it’s the correct one). "
Ethan Hein: "Credit where credit is due: the concept for playing back the MIDI file of that Bach piece on percussion..."
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
• January 28, 2015: First spring-semester class meeting of the 15-week course that I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I'm only teaching it one semester this year, just to make time for other activities.
• February 13, 2015: Speaking engagement in San Francisco. Details to follow.
• February 13, 2015: First anniversary of the release of my book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
• February 19, 2015: This is the "closing" event for the exhibit Momentum at the San Jose Museum of Art, featuring my three-screen, 21-track installation "Sonic Frame." The evening is part of the museum's ArtRage evening series, and runs from 7pm to 10pm. I'll likely be giving a little talk as part of it. Details TK.
• February 22, 2015: Final day of the exhibit Momentum at the San Jose Museum of Art, featuring my three-screen, 21-track installation "Sonic Frame."
• May 13, 2015: Last spring-semester class meeting of the 15-week course that I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I'll next teach it in spring 2016.
• December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 10 most recent weekly projects: • 0160: Make a one-minute field recording starting right at midnight (wherever you are). • 0159: See what music the steps of a favorite recipe yield. • 0158: Go from noise to signal with words. • 0157: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0156: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0155: Take a track and its remix and meld them into something new. • 0154: Create a track from two locked grooves • 0153: Record a short sound intended to be set on repeat. • 0152: Record your own cover version of the "song" sung/emitted by the comet Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. • 0151: Score a segment of George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead using the movie's audio as source material. ... And there is a complete list of projects here.
Tags8-bit android app audio-games chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto linkblog live-performance mp3 discussion group netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands turntablism TV video video-games voice