- RIP, church organist Gerre Hancock (b. 1934). On mastering his instrument: "Coordination is key. But so are earplugs." http://t.co/D21x1Mnw #
- Good use of "also": "[T]hey found a computer monitor and 2 video surveillance cameras. They also located a large amount of methamphetamine." #
- Dean Westerfield posted a comic of his I edited back in 1997, about a concert from five years earlier: http://t.co/BDpIRJtC #
- Already 7 @mapmap remixes at http://t.co/anQFre9l, all sharing the same 10 core audio samples, and we're barely a day in. #
- Senior citizen who complained loudly in cafe about loud babies now on cellphone. Prediction: Will criticize loud typing. #
- Senior citizen complaining loudly in cafe about how loud babies can be. # Read more »
5 Most Recent Comments
Dave Dorgan: "Was it an ironic hat tip to the theme of this weeks project, or just a coincidence that the 567 and..."
Roger Rohrbach: "Kit Watkins has a piece with the same title: https://youtu.be/yW_n_PLi63Y. "
Yhancik: "Really nice read! MP3 (and similar codecs) does have its own “sound”, although how perceptible..."
AlbumMike: "“Charest: He really liked Stomp, and he wanted something a bit similar. ” I think that Stomp..."
Sevenism: "I didn’t get the email announcement.. Just me, or anyone else? "
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
• November 9, 2015: A short essay I wrote ("Bassel K") will appear in the book The Cost of Freedom, dedicated to Bassel Khartabil, who's been detained in Syria since March 15, 2012. Details at costoffreedom.cc.
• November 21, 2015: Start of semi-annual social-media absentia (through January 4, 2016).
• Early December 2015: Jeff Kolar's album Doorbells will be released by the label Panospria. I wrote the liner notes. In the meanwhile you can listen to his previous album, Smoke Detector.
• December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 4, 2016: End of semi-annual social-media absentia (started November 21, 2015).
• February 3, 2016: First class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• May 18, 2016: Final class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0214: Bring to the fore the distinction between two specific microtones. • 0213: Combine three field recordings from artist Charles Lindsay to explore and express notions of perceived techno-organic intelligence. • 0212: Make music intended to attract male mosquitoes. • 0211: Shift between the midnight sounds both within and beyond a physical structure, preferably your home. • 0210: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
what sound looks like