- December and January are the only two months of the year when no one sends out emails about what they (1) are going to do / (2) did at SXSW. #
- Dear Hive: Any good simple OS X database applications? Bento’ been getting less-than-stellar reviews. (Trying to track Junto participation.) #
- “The faintest sound, whatever it is, / Seems to be speaking to me.” -Fernando Pessoa #
- “If I could only wrest from music the secret / Timbre of its shout” -Fernando Pessoa #
- Was not aware there would be Amon Tobin in Pina until I was watching it. #
- 20 tracks in Junto 7 in under 24 hours on @soundcloud. Lesson: narrower the rules, more varied the approaches. #oulipo #
- Kudos to Dave Grohl for clarifying his Grammy spiel: “Electronic or acoustic, it doesn’t matter to me.” And long live two-inch tape. #
- Seeing Pina today. #
- Carving the sound of water: Already 14 tracks, including 2 first-timers’, in new Junto. They can only remove, not add: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- New bio sentence: “He lives in San Francisco in a neighborhood whose soundmarks include persistent seasonal fog horns from the nearby bay.” #
- Something up, which to say down, with @SoundCloud at the moment. #
- Discussion: what is/isn’t “removing” sound in sculptural synthesis: “minute particles … added to a marble sculpture: http://t.co/WRFtIOta #
- The 7th Disquiet Junto’s theme is “Subtraction and Sculpting.” Details here: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. Deadline: midnight, Feb 20. #
- The next Disquiet Junto project (disquiet0007-subtract) will be announced momentarily. #
- RT @thejorgecolombo: My 2009 exhibition, based on Fernando Pessoa poems, inspired a music project, LX(RMX) (http://t.co/GuNvGHKF). #
- This week’s Disquiet Junto project will involve subtracting (rather than adding or otherwise altering) pre-existing sound. #
- OK, the math-test for comments is now functioning again at Disquiet dot com. Once again, 3 + 8 = 11, etc. #relief #
- Arithmetic-test comment-spam blocker currently malfunctioning on http://t.co/xdF6qCg1. Back up (or turned off) shortly. #
- Talked with @christofmigone yesterday about science-fiction skies, sound art for the deaf, and blurring lines between curation and creation. #
- Guy in library rapaciously ripping opera CDs. (Not me.) #
- Most valuable IM abbreviation: WTAHK (wasn’t typing; accidentally hit keyboard). #
- The gap after a call unexpectedly ends due to technical reasons, and the two participants second guess each other as to who will call back. #
- “A Working Plain” by Y?Arcka is my new jam. ♫ http://t.co/dayIbw35… #thisismyjam #
- First time in two years I’m not consumed by a music-commissioning project. Will act soon on several ideas. Right now? Enjoying clean slate. #
- Up in Sonoma for the day. Didn’t feel the earthquake a minute ago, just north of Point Reyes: http://t.co/frlJYULC #
- Confront “game-cloning” by using another term: game-laming, game-flailing, game-weaky. “Company Z has a department focused on game-weaky.” #
- Between @freemusicarchiv & @soundcloud, LX(RMX) Fernando Pessoa project had 1,200+ listens & 300+ downloads in 1st 24 hours. #
- RT @mmaddencomics: Sometimes I think I like TV sci-fi just because I’m addicted to the lulling, humming background noise onboard spaceships. #
- It’s a good thing most political blogs don’t acknowledge they are acts of speculative fiction, because it would sully the term. #
- Major thanks to @boondesign for continued design excellence, most recently for LX(RMX), photographs by @thejorgecolombo http://t.co/rvl1o9wt #
- Interview with @sunhammer at @percussionlab (http://t.co/pPxnlzeM) mentions Junto: “pushing my boundaries every week”; “huge creative spark” #
- If you want to be on the weekly email list for Disquiet Junto project announcements, pass me your address. Next one goes out in 24 hours. #
- Thank you! RT @mariplasma: Audio homage to Fernando Pessoa I contributed to http://t.co/8QPgpZP9. thanks for the inspiring project @disquiet #
- Noon bells filtered through layers of buildings and bodies and sound and action. #
- Man, first time at my local dim sum place when school was out for lunch. That was out of control, and a lot of fun. #
- Useful addendum to my @theatlantic piece. RT @osxdaily: Set the Volume Level to a Hidden Ultra Low Setting in Mac OS X: http://t.co/W7NNjAs7 #
- Indeed, to have one’s career become synonymous with a virtual stickpin. RT @demilit: @disquiet imagine how pissed curators are. in reply to demilit #
- The set of remixed field recordings I commissioned in tribute to Fernando Pessoa’s many personalities: http://t.co/d0XtNBuS #
- I generally don’t say “curate” because the word now just means “stuff I found.” #
- “radiohead quietstorm”: put @diplo‘s 2-word summary of his @UsherRaymondIV track in the next Year’s Best Music Writing: http://t.co/OgnsXswi #
- I last interviewed Markus Popp (aka Oval) in 1996. Just this morning finally interviewed him for a second time. #
- RIP, jazz pianist Jodie Christian (b. 1932), a cofounder of the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (AACM). #
- Amazing year already for many reasons, and I still can’t believe Instagr/am/bient’s opening track has been listened to over 4,500 times. #
- Focusing on Junto 7. Do we make physical instruments, salvage archival material, remix existing tracks, play with found sound? TBA Thursday. #
- In which 8 (or 16?) musicians remix the sounds of Lisbon, inspired by Fernando Pessoa & @thejorgecolombo: http://t.co/AwamjOWd #
- A long time coming. Finally releasing large-scale music set inspired by Fernando Pessoa, whose Book of Disquiet gave my site its name. #
- Uploading tracks to @freemusicarchiv for the first time. #
- New Disquiet commission project LX(RMX): #soon #lisbon #pessoa #sonic #geography #identity #ambient #photography #desassossego #
- Tuesday noon siren seemed oddly serrated today. #
- A weird number of font people are RTing me today, so I will take the opportunity to express my writerly affection for Menlo and Consolas. #
- Ghost-production #protip courtesy of: RT @whyarcka: “produced by” and “beat by” will help to determine whether the producer was there or not #
- infilldelity (n): Adding unnecessary features to software. Cluttering under the guise of improving. #
- Does GamaDaily set a time for its daily email, or does someone just wait until a couple minutes after the IndustryGamers email goes out? #
- The new Twitter is a fascinating example of making something complicated out of something simple. #
- There should be a @thisismyjam for the name of imaginary band in which you’re currently a member. Mine now: Burrito Stump. #
- Edith Eisler, my friend, died last July. She’d have turned 87 today. I wrote this when she passed: http://t.co/f0iY7Upw #
- Congrats/thanks to contributors to Junto 6 (now over) in which they remixed Edison cylinders: 56 tracks, 14 1st-timers: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Goodnight, noises everywhere. #
- Home/Connect/Discover: Noun/Verb/Verb. Connect = people already connected to? Discover = things not interested in? I don’t grok new Twitter. #
- Wonderful if it is. RT @stevesilberman: Fellow #SF dwellers: I hope this is true! [via @clarajeffery] http://t.co/chQ41YGU #
- Disquiet Junto is 2 tracks from 300th in its 1st 6 weeks of existence. Thanks to all involved: musicians, listeners, and musician-listeners. #
- Noon bell hits like a hammer on an anvil. #
- Going to publish weekly Junto projects in multiple languages. French & Spanish translators volunteered. Lemme know if you’re up to help. #
- Still half a day to go and there are almost 50 entries, including those of 14 1st-timers, in the Edison-cylinder Junto: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Thanks to Junto 1st-timer: RT @iamseams: really enjoyed making my entry; you were right, very freeing! Fastest start to online satisfaction. #
- Thinking about posting Junto projects in multiple languages. If you’re multi-lingual & can commit to pitching in, lemme know. #
- Dave Grohl’s Grammy spiel, condensed. RT @GlennF: @disquiet FUTURE HAS ARRIVED AND I’M LIVING IN A FAKE VERSION OF THE PAST. #
- Got home to 35 tracks now in the ongoing Junto, including ones from 11 first-time contributors: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Loved seeing opposed responses to Grohl’s rockist/technophobic Grammy comment appear in a row from @compactrobot and @kozinn. #
- HUD premonition: Took off my glasses before taking shower and briefly wondered, “Where again do I plug in these to recharge?” #
- Overwhelming need to listen to Ginger Baker’s Horses and Trees. #
- The Grey is pretty good. But to say its ending is undermined by the film’s trailer is an understatement. #
- Indeed, it’s twice the speed of what I usually listen to. RT @dudestache 2bpm can make such a big difference in vibe. (via @detxl) #
- I miss missing my Nintendo DS. #
- Great to just pull up @stonesthrow Beat Battle page on @soundcloud and let variations on a beat play one after another: http://t.co/DptsyfBL #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound." • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice