- The SSD fridge: http://t.co/lIKR64Tf (courtesy of @debcha) #
- New generative sound app/project from @earslap, creator of Otomata: http://t.co/8tNIYsLZ It’s called Circuli. #
- “SSD fridge” pluses/minuses. RT @atlastop: @disquiet what really fast at freezing things, but never enough space to fit all your stuff? #
- René Margraff replied to my SSD/fridge comment: “Do you really want a fridge with very little storage space for a high price?” #
- Wondering if someone would, please, release the SSD equivalent of a refrigerator. #
- Quak channels Reich’s “It’s Gonna Rain” & Hopper takes “breathless” approach to Junto 8 (Benjamin Franklin remix): http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- 7 sentences from Benjamin Franklin’s autobiography have been chopped and screwed so far in the 8th Disquiet Junto: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Cannot remember the last time I typed www. #
- Thinking about catching DJ Krush tomorrow in San Francisco. Been awhile. #
- 8th Disquiet Junto project description now up at http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #voice #spoken #sample #publicdomain #benjaminfranklin #autobiography #
- I did send the Junto project to the email announcement list. I’ll add it to the Junto Soundcloud page as soon as the site is functional. #
- I wanna post the new Disquiet Junto project, which involves a sample of Benjamin Franklin’s autobiography, but @SoundCloud is having trouble #
- Junto 8 project coming momentarily. #
- Dinner and Ben Katchor event with Paul Socolow and visitor Bart Beaty, talking about @christianbok. #
- The jazz stereo and the dish-washing in the cafe at @SFMOMA are set at equal volumes. #
- You know it’s a productive day when you get a lot done before the IndustryGamers email shows up. #
- RJDJ should be built into the new Google Glasses. #
- 8th Junto announced later today. Project due Monday 11:59pm. Subject: human voice. Lemme know if you want on email list. #
- Nice mention from @cdmblogs: Ambient Listening: Cory Allen + Marcus Fischer track congruities in two gorgeous tracks: http://t.co/aIx0mMJK #
- RIP, Barney Rosset (b. 1922) whose Grove published Lady Chatterley, Naked Lunch; passed on Lord of the Rings (“couldn’t understand a word”). #
- RIP, singer Kay Davis (b. 1920), human theremin of Duke Ellington orchestra. Hear their “Transblucency”: http://t.co/DHfteeGI #
- RIP, Billy Strange (b. 1930), co-writer of “A Little Less Conversation,” guitarist on the Beach Boys’ “Sloop John B.” http://t.co/onSoXo9v #
- “For me no flowers can match the endlessly varied colors of Lisbon in the sunlight.” -Fernando Pessoa. And its sounds: http://t.co/95OwGn3b #
- Does @bandcamp not have a mobile-optimized website? #
- PS: A bit more than the allotted 222 words on @mapmap & @quietdesign‘s birthday single here: http://t.co/3Pcxbd8W #
- Talented singer @JaschaHoffman has made his new album free for limited time: http://t.co/uLKsY9VA I helped with remixes, more on which soon. #
- Happy birthday, @mapmap & @quietdesign. On 2/22 give each $1.11 for their single: http://t.co/ExiWlSic (I wrote its 222-word liner note.) #
- My sunglasses don’t play well with bus-shelter flat-screen ad billboards. #theylive #
- Did the second half of interview with Markus (Oval) Popp this morning. Good conversation. Skype is a useful thing. #
- The 8th Disquiet Junto, which begins this Thursday, Feb 23, will involve the human voice. #
- Permanently disabled caps lock. A personal milestone. #
- Noon bells dissolve into the hum of the refrigerator. #
- I missed that this is out. My interview with Punjabi rapper @iambohemia is in Feb/Mar issue of @SactownMagazine (print only). #
- Over 70 participants in recent Disquiet Junto music-making project. Reminder: send me your email to receive new-project alert on Thursdays. #
- Fitting that @codeacademy email reminders of next chapter arrive just as Junto projects hit deadline. Digital karma cron job. #
- First Junto to break 60 contributors: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 About 8 hours to go before deadline. #
- Happy Presidents Day. Here’s the (mostly) instrumental of DJ Ski’s production of a Jay-Z standard: http://t.co/pH9RkFe4 #
- RIP, Steve Kordek, 100-year-old innovator of pinball machines: 1st 2-flipper game, 1st drop targets, 1st multi-ball play. Via @VendingTimes #
- … alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car … #
- LX(RMX): Lisbon Remixed at 1595 listens, 380 downloads in under a week: http://t.co/95OwGn3b #pessoa #phonography #desassossego #
- Woulda said this is my new jam, but that means something else now. So, this is my new hang: @iolian. More info soon. #
- That previous tweet is from @robotdancerobot‘s blog post about the “Layering Reality” Junto project: http://t.co/wdHaRDRF #
- “Having these projects led to thinking about process and workflow and goals in a way that fiddling around with gear previously never did.” #
- Intended go live with Twitter account for another project. But Twitter won’t let me turn off “Protect my Tweets” setting. So maybe tomorrow. #
- Completed writing my foreword to the catalog for @johnkannenberg‘s forthcoming exhibit, Hours of Infinity in Ann Arbor: http://t.co/eqVY4q7F #
- RIP, game concept artist Adam Adamowicz (Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim): http://t.co/zuEc4knJ I had no idea he was from my hometown. #
- 45 musicians participated in Junto 7 (carving a recording of waves in Danish fjord) in just over 48 hours http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- I think Chronicle is my favorite superhero movie since Unbreakable. #
- Exclamation points are writing’s car alarms. #
- Subsidiary clauses set apart by em-dashes are writing’s scenic vistas. #
- Parentheticals are writing’s speed bumps. #
- “Mute, because overheard.” -Fernando Pessoa #
- Software Physician’s Desk Reference says: “SSD: psychoacoustic disorder experienced as exaggerated annoyance at other people’s hard drives.” #
- Today’s plan: get a lot of stuff done, see Chronicle, get a lot of stuff done. #
- I thought Junto 7 to be the most exacting. Turns out it’s the fastest growing yet. In next week or so will be an even more controlled one. #
- It’s only Saturday and we’re one shy of forty Junto entries for project 7 (sonic sculpting): http://t.co/anQFre9l #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice