- Street sounds. Shot while with @boondesign, a block from the street for which the filter is named. #415 http://t.co/5TIa6055 #
- RT @markrushtoncom: re my Tweet linked in http://t.co/5CevNhcI Yep, it’s true! I’m still processing the advances. Cc @otolythe @HILOBROW #
- Wow. Almost 4,000 people in 24 hours listened to the http://t.co/JGWMqeHB interview in which we discuss the creative benefits of restraint. #
- The RIAA’s vision of the future of the home stereo. http://t.co/xVKDPXrh #
- This is Anthony Braxton’s new jam: http://t.co/QyY72CXy. #
- Severed cockroach leg as music visualizer. #ted #
- #longweids RT @otolythe: @HILOBROW #longreads interview w/ @disquiet on #Junto eno,franklin,pessoa,philipsz,remix http://t.co/VTAK8mEy #
- Major thanks @iamseams (Jami Welch) for this tremendous podcast opportunity: http://t.co/JGWMqeHB 3500 listens in less than 24 hours. Crazy. #
- Thanks! RT @debcha: Great interview with Marc Weidenbaum (behind the Junto project and Instagr/am/bient) at @hilobrow: http://t.co/5CevNhcI #
- Thanks, man. RJDJ rules. RT @dizzybanjo: New podcast from @soundcloud ft @disquiet & the junto I have been part of http://t.co/oPtJZSas #
- Bill Nye: Vampire Killer #TED #
- Upcoming Disquiet Junto themes: reflective remixing, program music, graphic scoring, aural comics. Current: cross-species collaboration. #
- Disquiet Junto #9 is announced. Combine provided sounds of guitar & bird song into one original track: http://t.co/BbqFVCI6 #
- The theme for the ninth Junto project: cross-species collaboration. #
- Disquiet Junto project #9 TBA shortly. More tuneful than recent text/ural ones. Of course, participants have final say in that regard. #
- Proud to help inaugurate this great new series. RT @SoundCloud: Introducing our new podcast ‘SoundCloud Speaks’. http://t.co/lrL2GOzV #
- The gap between my understanding of Tom Waits and the fact that his Magical Trunk has repeatedly wanted me to play with it on Facebook. #
- I guess the final print edition of @ShonenJump is out. Proud to have edited it for 5 years, eventually as Editor-in-Chief. #manga #milestone #
- Not watching #TED today. Intermittent TED-tweeting will resume Friday morning, 8:30am California time. #
- Thanks! RT @otolythe: Sometimes the best secret societies aren’t secret at all: listen up with #DisquietJunto @HILOBROW http://t.co/bcvHXOBJ #
- Super great. RT @debcha Great report/overview of Junto project by @otolythe. RT @HILOBROW: NEW TODAY: Disquiet Junto http://t.co/9XbOMdsA #
- Disappointed URL2.la only made 1/3 of its http://t.co/ny1PCJVy goal. Really wish I’d done more to push it. Fortunately, the site goes on. #
- Fine-tuning the next Junto. Bunch of good stuff coming. Lemme know if you want on the email announcement list. #
- Excellent. RT @iamseams: Working on the edit of my interview with @disquiet for the new @soundcloud podcast I’m making: http://t.co/uv43OmgC #
- Belatedly joining the #TED stream today. #
- RIP, Davy Jones (b. 1945) of the Monkees. Tonight I’ll listen to his “Your Personal Penguin” (by Sandra Boynton) with my 18-month-old. :( #
- If Emma Hendrix’s (@Irezicle) beat-ification of Ben Franklin’s autobiography doesn’t wake you up, nothing will: http://t.co/XQfiAjHf #junto #
- Makes sense TED opened with music from Peter Gabriel’s Last Temptation score, since all the speakers are using his wireless headset. #
- Mesmerized by the mass gesticulations of audience members waiting for TED to resume for the 5pm talks. #
- “Even through the squeaks of his hearing aids … his understanding of music was profound.” Michael Tilson Thomas on his dad, Ted. #TED #
- “Of all my sculptures, this one is the most talkative.” Reuben Margolin at #TED http://t.co/4msLLKrq #
- Biggest thing I’ve learned so far today is you can do worse than setting @zoecello as the root of your @pandora_radio station. #
- I had a math fail. I’m now all the more qualified to make optimistic tech predictions. RT @richardnixon: @disquiet 13,005 x 3 = 39,015 #math #
- Dow closes above 1/3 of 36,000 for first time since May 2008. Seems appropriate, timed to #TED #039;s opening day. #wiredpredictions #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco while Peter Diamandis makes the familiar case that the present is the best present there’s been. #TED #
- Brian Greene made it through his string-theory/multiverse presentation without mentioning The Authority. #conspiracy #TED #
- TED opened with musical variations on a cellphone ring. #
- I’ll be watching TED for much of the week (while working on things). Anything/body sound-y I should keep an ear out for? Please lemme know. #
- Evening sounds: passing cars, bouncing basketball, footsteps, neighbor’s music (very quiet), crackle of TV (now off) slowly cooling. #
- Bunch of new Junto participants this week; 47 tracks so far. Remixed Ben Franklin faces almost as fun as the sounds: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- The nerve! Kids treating toys like toys. RT @my_fun: @disquiet I’ve had to repair the toy piano … due to my daughters pounding on it #
- Been a long day. I meant 18-month-old. #
- My 16-month-old is developing the prepared ukulele. I said, “Play more softly.” This resulted in the improvised use of a butterfly plushie. #
- Details & pre-order info on @JohnKannenberg‘s forthcoming exhibit catalog, for which I wrote the foreword: http://t.co/qRXSE0yQ #
- From the distance, I always think it is Jefferson and Washington. #415 #ggpark http://t.co/DuhhJ2he #
- With 24 hours left, 3 dozen sentences from Benjamin Franklin’s autobiography have been turned into audio art in Junto 8 http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- If you love “sf but not sf” reviewing: “owes at least as much to fairy tale and myth as it does to science fiction” http://t.co/6o5dNwcZ #
- Johnny Cash would have turned 80 Sunday. #
- Nice. At least one person’s using text-to-voice in the Franklin autobio Junto: http://t.co/HbhXxCjq “a loud and clear voice” #
- Had we assigned text for the Benjamin Franklin autobio remix we coulda done a Randy Greif–style collective revision of a chunk of it. #junto #
- Maybe Mac-user bonding has less to do with branding & OS finery, more to do with knowing whom to ask to borrow a power cable from in a cafe. #
- Street sounds #415 http://t.co/AzJBbjaX #
- “Just rework a song from your last record.” #obliquefailurestrategies #
- Funny @jbutlerjbutler focused on fire depts using Leafcutter John’s software since latter makes me think of hydrophones http://t.co/9JmrPZaE in reply to jbutlerjbutler #
- Google should loan one of its “beta” tags to Apple so Apple can put it on Lion’s full-screen and Spaces implementations. #
- As someone who listens to a lot of film scores and instrumental hip-hop, I wanna hear what Zimmer/Pharrell are up to: http://t.co/d1eixfdw #
- Lineup at Wulf in LA makes me wanna move there. Not going to, of course. My life’s here. But I need to visit even more often. #
- Junto participant from Tilburg, Netherlands, locates word “Junto” in Benjamin Franklin’s text and makes the most of it: http://t.co/XaJ9NJo9 #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice