- RIP, Peter Bergman (b. 1939), founding member of Firesign Theater, ingeniously used audio in satiric comedy: http://t.co/YPM7KzyG #
- RIP, Moebius (b. Jean Giraud, 1938), comic book artist. #
- Never checked out the Stones Throw Beat Battle (big influence on Junto)? It’s in its 261st week, and it’s a great one: http://t.co/W3PXB5KD #
- Yowza. The Disquiet Junto 1 one track away from its 500th track in 10 weeks: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Dear Hivemind: Is there a AAA version of the AA USB battery that USBCell makes? #
- Excellent reason to skip a week. RT @arbeemonkey: My new project is takin all my studio time, not sure I’ll submit for the 10th junto. #
- That premonition of typing on a keyboard becoming an antiquated practice. #
- Remembering Samuel Johnson’s emphasis on the weighting of words in drama has made me more empathetic toward emoticons. #
- If an email starts with my name there’s a 80% chance it’s from someone I don’t know; without my name: 80% chance it’s from someone I know. #
- Best bad-PR email of the week began “Dear [:name],” and second best began “Dear,” — but the week isn’t over yet. #
- RT @jbutlerjbutler: @disquiet Can we add sounds to our remix? [Yes. Additions are OK unless a specific project says they’re not.] #junto #
- Sole “new iPad” comment: Was hoping it’d be lighter. But I’m a 90lb weakling. Well, more like 155lbs, but still weakling. #
- RIP, Jimmy Ellis (b. 1937), lead singer of the Trammps, perhaps best known for “Disco Inferno”: http://t.co/QvaQ1zAp #
- Nice: @webbedhand + @mystified131 remixed a track by each other for the 10th Junto project: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- RT @jbutlerjbutler @disquiet Looking forward to this Junto project…so much material to go through! [Hoping folks go back to a fave track.] #
- 10th Disquiet Junto project: remix track from previous project. Info in English/French/Spanish/Turkish: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Disquiet Junto project #10 announcement goes out via email and to the Soundcloud group Info page momentarily. #
- Instructions for the 10th Disquiet Junto, to be announced later today, will be in English, French, Spanish, and Turkish. #
- RIP, computer-graphics innovator Carl Machover (b. 1927), father of musician & MIT Media Lab figure Tod: http://t.co/aDY0IlsE #
- If you volunteered to translate Disquiet Junto instructions into French or Spanish (or another), could you shoot me an email or DM? Thanks. #
- The end of The Shield is so perfect, it should be watched not just as a lesson in ending a series, but in starting one. #
- If the word “selected” works then the word “curated” probably doesn’t. #
- The text equivalent of a stock photo. #
- Thanks, @swissnexSF, for hosting the game event last night. Krautscape was so beautiful it distracted me during conversations. #
- Thursday will start the 10th weekly Disquiet Junto. It’ll be an exercise in collective reflection. #
- Nanomalism. #
- “Oh, I know: Let’s release our new album to coincide with SXSW.” #
- Was on phone with @operafella yesterday when Tuesday noon siren rang. Held phone out window so he could enjoy. #
- Someone please explain to me that I should be more excited by @sfsymphony‘s 2012-13 modern works than I am http://t.co/a2DDFA5J #
- http://t.co/PUGLKmGE says $480 to close block so I can tape wind chime, or $150 for block party, which defeats purpose (via @markrushtoncom) #
- Wondering how much it would cost to have the police block off my block for a few hours so I could get a good tape of this wind chime. #
- In which I thank (http://t.co/x3jktxwX) the thoughtful @otolythe for this @hilobrow interview: http://t.co/5CevNhcI #
- Glad my neighbor across the street has a wind chime. I like it more than if I had a wind chime. Distance makes the ear fonder. #
- Great interview with my friend Charles Hatfield about academia, comics, and his new book (Hand of Fire) on Jack Kirby: http://t.co/3ZJDc2wv #
- 71 tracks this week. RT @benjamindauer: It’s Tuesday: time to visit the @SoundCloud Junto page & begin a fresh round of listening/comments. #
- RIP, songwriter Robert B. Sherman (b. 1925), whose work in the splendid “Theme Park Songs” Wikipedia category includes “It’s a Small World.” #
- Silence is seductive according to this sign at the SF Zoo. #415 #design http://t.co/larzJaHL #
- Today in “Fun with Doppler Shift”: sound of crying child riding carousel in San Francisco Zoo heard from outside the building #
- Yow. The @soundcloud podcast that covers Junto & Instagr/am/bient is 200 listens shy of 10,000: http://t.co/JGWMqeHB #
- 63 avian/guitar hybrids in Junto #9 project. With a little less 1/2 a day to go, an uptick in slide-guitar entries: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Definitely. I’m fine-tuning some ideas. RT @hecanjog: @disquiet any plans for a Junto that doesn’t require use of electronics? (beyond mics) #
- Pediatrician’s office is like 40-Part Motet, but with crying babies behind doors, rather than singers emanating from speakers. #
- The fog horns seem to have a little more pep this evening. #
- With more than a full day to go, already 51 guitar/birdsong pieces in the 9th Junto project: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Walked to my bookshelf and found my beloved The Star Wars Portfolio by Ralph McQuarrie (b. 1929). He died yesterday. (via @robotdancerobot) #
- Cross-species avian/guitar collaboration by @iamseams, who produced that great @soundcloud #junto podcast: http://t.co/bqBcOUeO #
- The room is electrical. It says so right on the door. #415 #richmonddistrict http://t.co/RI3ecAv8 #
- RIP, Robert R. McElroy (b. 1928), whose photographs documented the art Happenings of the 1950s and ’60s: http://t.co/52WDcr9k #
- The @soundcloud podcast by @iamseams about the Junto & Instagr/am/bient projects is nearing 8,000 listens in three days. #
- Note to @otolythe: the musician @markrushtoncom, who bowed out of the Junto to reflect on what he’d absorbed the first month, is back for #9 #
- Junto folk: freesound-dot-org is back online, but please use the links from the group’s info page for the source audio: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- The #netlabel list maintained by @dpnem is due for an update: http://t.co/tTZFsXam. He’s looking for additions, if you see anything missing. #
- Guess I meant “wordular” not “text/ural.” RT @alien_artifex: @disquiet every line of melody is ‘text’, too, even without words! 8-/ #
- Do the characters on Fringe have multiple versions of @SoundHound on their phones, or is there a single multiverse database? #
- Zagat must add a number to its rating system: DPC. That’s the average number of “devices per customer.” This cafe is 2.8. #
- Cover versions are so persistent in cafes, they are producing an alternate-universe history of pop music. #
- John Cage work at Crown Point Press in San Francisco. #415 http://t.co/edTFUdlx #
- Already 23 duets for acoustic guitar and bird song in this week’s Disquiet Junto: http://t.co/kel3Tiwn #
- I always think Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” is a lost track from Moby’s Play. #
- “If you’re not interested in the text, play an instrument”: soprano Patricia Racette in today’s @metopera quiz. #
- Title of the day: Director of Supernumeraries. The one from the @metopera is talking during the break in the Aida broadcast. #
- The @metopera play-by-play is a riot. Audience is giving standing o at intermission. Ovation inflation a symptom of our time. #
- Listening to @metopera on KDFC 90.3FM in San Francisco. Apparently my buddy @operafella is part of the Opera Quiz today. #
- Disquiet Junto update: 3 ways to download source audio for Project #9 (while freesound-dot-org is inconveniently down): http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Disquiet Junto update: 3 ways to download source audio for Project 0009 (while freesound-dot-org is inconveniently down). #
- Junto-samples update: freesound-dot-org still is down but I should have a working link to the 4 samples by 11am PST today. #
- Attention: Junto folk. The freesound-dot-org site is down. If anyone has the 4 samples available to share, please let me know. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Nuun: "Hi Mark, I’m truly honored and surprised by your review of my track! Thanks for your carefull listening..."
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
Monsterovich: "https://soundcloud.com/losttal entgroup Join us if you want normal groups back. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0248 / Galactic Tick / Celebrate the new celestial holiday in music. • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice