- RIP, David Waltz (b. 1943), Thinking Machines alum and AI figure: http://t.co/n63VNFWU #
- RIP, Eric Watson (b. 1955), photo Boswell to the Pet Shop Boys http://t.co/33SbnKWX + http://t.co/kJ3r5xAJ (via @compactrobot) #
- Apparently @BettinaTizzy and @ooray will be in that line. in reply to BettinaTizzy #
- When you get to heaven, your place in line is determined by how many “This was done before” comments you’ve left on blog posts. #
- If the New York Times wants to limit me to 10 articles, I’d like to limit it to 2 sports-related “breaking news” email alerts a month. #
- The @wildUp Shostakovich stems for next week’s Junto (3/29) are beauts. No isolation. Just degrees of section prominence. Chamber Rashomon. #
- It’s gonna be good. RT @lownote: So excited to hear about upcoming junto project involving stems of Shostakovich from @wildUp. #
- RT @cinchel: classical nerds, next @disquiet #junto will be remixing http://t.co/sC7YTu6z Shostakovich spread the word /cc @craftyflutist #
- Disquiet Junto #12 (Alternate Rurality) has gone to the email list, and is posted at http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. #cutpaste #rural #sample #oumupo #
- .@JPGaultier likes my hood: RT “The view from the @deYoungMuseum tower is absolument magnifique! #iLoveSanFrancisco http://t.co/m4CgpI0p" #
- First time hearing “How Will I Know” since Whitney died. So vibrant. She imitates a pre-teen Michael Jackson imitating a mature soul woman. #
- Gotta love @guardian “other lives” obits. One from this week on a man whose work involved Britten & Shostakovich: http://t.co/ZDZaKIL8 #
- Junto instructions will be in English, Czech, French, Japanese & Turkish. It’s a shared-sample project focused on cut’n’paste & rural music. #
- Bwah, I meant Czech, not Croatian! (Humbly, cc @kocicenka @dizzybanjo.) in reply to kocicenka #
- Disquiet Junto instructions later today will be in several languages … including Croatian. (Thanks, @kocicenka, @dizzybanjo.) #
- New York Times should gate free access by word count, not article. The “song” count for iPod data size never made sense. #
- Dear iPad Hive: What app do you use to take notes on/about websites you’re reading? #
- #outreach March 29 Junto will involve chamber-music source material. Please inform any classical musicians who may want to remix with us. #
- EP I wrote liner note for made @bcstaffpicks list: “Delicate, hypnotic ambient from @quietdesign and @mapmap” –Leigh http://t.co/ExiWlSic #
- There’s a petition to put Turing on the £10 note. Forgery assessment would mean a whole new Turing test. http://t.co/6DwmG61Z #
- Junto project 12 has gone to translators. If you want to translate, get in touch. If you want on the email announcement list, get in touch. #
- Honored. RT @barrythrew: @disquiet you are one of my main harbingers of death. #
- The next Disquiet Junto project will be a dual exercise in (1) cut and paste and (2) contrasting “rural” music sensibilities. #
- Forthcoming Disquiet Junto projects include: classical textures, program music, software apps, and video scores. #
- RIP, anime’s Haruka Takachiho (b. 1938): Nue co-founder; director of Space Battleship Yamato & first color Astro Boy: http://t.co/JaHZmdsx #
- “the HTML5 <audio> tag is not exactly ready to meet our expectations.” #truth thinking: https://t.co/6ZPbq9v1 action: http://t.co/SOghQLRs #
- Of the first 11 Junto projects, #11 may be the one that would make a fine standalone album: everyday noise as rhythm: http://t.co/5pTbofVI #
- For the previous Junto, @m_emre_meydan went to town: beautiful track built atop rhythm of bicycle wheel: http://t.co/XMK0WZys With video! #
- If you’re in Cologne this Saturday (3/24), @alln4tural will be playing Junto tracks at his gig: http://t.co/FbEZA7aN http://t.co/4nlpe2QL #
- I’ll say this about @FreeConference: someone there figured out that non-annoying hold music is part of the product. #kudos #
- RIP, Tonino Guerra (b. 1920), cowriter of Antonioni’s Blowup, Zabriskie Point, L’Avventura; Fellini’s Amarcord; Tarkovsky’s Nostalghia. #
- So, @pheezy got to meet @mapmap and @ooray last week, and I met @ooray this week, so when do I get to meet @mapmap? #
- Meetings over, now listening to new Prong song. Oddly poppy. Like, if Slayer were a pop band. Nice to hear Tommy Victor’s voice again. #
- Prong debuts first song off its new album just as I am walking into a long meeting. #
- D’oh. Clarification. RT @mapmap: @disquiet Quick note: not a kalimba, exposed guts of a toy piano. Looks/sounds kind of like one though #
- When the rain comes, we run and record a sound bed: http://t.co/0Xn1vWRs #
- Anyone especially excited by a particular music-making iOS app lately. I need a new space to fiddle about in on my iPad. #
- 36 Junto entries as midnight hour nears. Great variety, all tracks made using everyday mechanical rhythms as beats: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Music from inkjet printer: http://t.co/bgY4vZm0 by new participant Ryan Abbott (of Tacoma), the Junto’s 150th active member #
- The Internet feels slow today, perhaps due to the mental image of new-iPad owners lapping up retina-intense data. #
- User-registration Turing test at vinylengineDOTcom: “What are the missing letters in this word – Phono Car****ge?” #
- Among the mechanical sounds employed so far in this week’s Junto: timer, escalator, door, potato slicer, microwave beep http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Sang Davies’ “Sunny Afternoon” to my kid. Is the girl who’s “gone back to her ma and pa” the one who leaves them in Gershwin’s “Summertime”? #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0278 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures. • 0277 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound."
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice