- Now 14 @wildup Shostakovich Junto remixes: http://t.co/1JOZV3wt. Thoughts on source audio as Rashomon: http://t.co/WCcUKtJv #
- Morning sounds: my wife and 19-month-old breathing in their sleep, and from just beyond the window a formidable wind. #
- Most unexpected thing about Fringe tonight is that, suddenly, it is good is again. #
- We need to do a Conet Project of people’s lottery-number tweets. #
- The 6th @wildUp Shostakovich Junto remix, from Birmingham, Britain, is an exercise in considered restraint http://t.co/wXPGD7ho #
- The fifth and latest @wildup Shostakovich Junto remix is a lovely murky piece by Québec’s @arbeemonkey: http://t.co/FngiKk37 #
- “That static noise you hear isn’t your music.” Things my wife says. #
- Just shy of 19 months, my kid officially has more dolls than I do. We both await a figure of the Authority’s Jack Hawksmoor. #
- I like how the Twitter site’s Home button lights up to tell me there are new tweets—as if there ever aren’t new tweets. #
- My office is haunted by ghosts of laptop drives and fans past. My laptop is SSD, but occasionally I hear antique buzzings. #
- Four @wildup Shostakovich remixes already in: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5. In Discussion area, remixers discuss how far to veer from the original. #
- Nothing against Nas, but is there an instrumental edit of the DJ Premier / Berklee Orchestra track from @regenerationmp? #
- New David Byrne London project is a nice parallel to Juntos 5 & 11: http://t.co/z6Y4mtiy “I let the sounds dictate the groove.” #
- Paris mayor employs mimes to subdue noisy nightlife: http://t.co/mebdrcrC: “silence is not repressive, but a form of sharing” #
- Already some Shostakovich Junto remixes coming in: @mystified131, early as always; and we have first-timer @matt_borghi http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- I’ve interviewed some ridiculously accomplished visual artists the past month or so. More details as publication dates near. #
- Great stencil of Shostakovich from @chutson99: https://t.co/6PKvF599 #
- Stream audio of the Shostakovich track by @wildup we’re remixing: http://t.co/ct2NJ1dr: Chamber Symphony, Op. 110a, movement 1. #
- Reminder: the Shostakovich remix instructions are in English, Czech, French, Spanish, Japanese & Turkish: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Thanks to all retweeting the @wildup Shostakovich remix project: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. Tracks are due by Monday at 11:59pm. #
- The 13th Disquiet Junto announced here: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. Please join in and remix @wildup‘s Shostakovich chamber symphony recording. #
- Instructions for 13th Disquiet Junto project, in which we remix @wildUp‘s recording of a Shostakovich symphony, have gone to the email list. #
- Please, if Disquiet Junto has interested you, inform people about (and participate in!) the Shostakovich project to be announced shortly. #
- Got the French translation for today’s Disquiet Junto project. (Thanks, @chegreco!) #shostakovich (Cc @wildup @mlaffs) #
- This fall I’ll teach “Sounds of Brands / Brands of Sounds” at @academy_of_art: http://t.co/F7FGRBmF. (Thanks, @artofplanning.) #
- +1 for giggles. RT @Big_Pause: @disquiet Isn’t the question, Marc, redundant most of the time. #
- Isn’t the question mark redundant most of the time. #
- Got the Spanish translation for today’s Disquiet Junto project. (Thanks to Norma Listman.) #shostakovich (Cc @wildup @mlaffs) #
- Got the Czech translation for today’s Disquiet Junto project. (Thanks, @kocicenka!) #shostakovich (Cc @wildup @mlaffs) #
- Got the Turkish translation for tomorrow’s Disquiet Junto project. (Thanks, @m_emre_meydan!) #shostakovich (Cc @wildup @mlaffs) #
- 2. I didn’t know the Anderson song was on the St. Elmo’s Fire soundtrack. 3. There’s a Brian Eno / Robert Fripp joke in there somewhere. #
- 1. We know Dr. Bishop likes his Yes, but it was still a surprise to hear “This Time It Was Really Right” by Jon Anderson on Fringe. #
- Got the Japanese translation for tomorrow’s Disquiet Junto project. (Thanks, @naotko!) #shostakovich (Cc @wildup @mlaffs) #
- I find it incomprehensible what it meant, what it felt like, when a musician died prior to the rise of recorded music. #
- RIP, bluegrass banjo legend Earl Scruggs (b. 1924): http://t.co/nM6Ho8sc #
- The hive giveth. I am all set with download providers for the @wildUp Shostakovich remix project that begins in about 20 hours. #
- Disquiet Junto request: Can a few folks volunteer to help host the Shostakovich-remix audio files? It’s a half-gig Zip. Thanks. #
- Cageian Audiophile: Enter acousmatic chamber and hear your pulse speed up as you imagine having such a chamber at home. #
- Newly re-addicted to old Photek. #
- Quick burrito accompanied by significant construction sounds just outside. #
- The Shostakovich-remix Disquiet Junto details are with the translators. Instructions go live in ~30 hours. Cc @wildUp @mlaffs #
- As always, if you are available to translate Disquiet Junto project instructions, let me know. It is greatly appreciated. #
- Did I mention we start remixing a Shostakovich chamber work tomorrow as part of the 13th weekly Disquiet Junto? Very excited. #
- RIP, art critic Hilton Kramer (b. 1928), synonymous with modernism: http://t.co/bNqIk9Pp #
- Fun with truncation: received email whose header read “The Merger Is Off…” but the full text read “The Merger Is Official.” #
- Tuesday noon siren downright freaky on this excessively windy day. #
- Weighing in on the age-old “writing about music is like dancing about architecture” debate: http://t.co/ptNxIhNX #
- Some people play music boxes better than other people do. #
- Anything good going on in Los Angeles sound-art–wise next Tuesday (April 3)? I may be free in the evening. #
- Mundane synaesthesia: decreasing your laptop’s volume when you had intended to decrease its screen brightness. #
- How do Google Books and http://t.co/4jro55If handle straight-to-ebooks, like the Kindle Singles? There’s nothing to scan. #
- Many thanks to @mlaffs @wildUp @orionrountree for helping set up the 13th Disquiet Junto, which starts this Thursday, 3/29. #
- Man, the Disquiet Junto just racked up its 600th track — in just 12 weeks: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- XVth Activating the Medium electronic-music festival in San Francisco is all women. Nice contrast with the more common all-men festivals. #
- A lot of these nursery rhymes only make sense if read with a British accent. #
- Need something bright and upbeat to wake up with? Listen to http://t.co/YGKsUt52 by second-time Junto participant Chiara Zedek. #
- Am beginning to get the value of PDFs. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice