- Thanks to @SactownMagazine‘s new website my old interview with Pakistan-born rapper Bohemia is now online: http://t.co/rogKjZQh #
- Interviewed Morton Subotnik and Tommy Victor (of Prong) in the same afternoon. I love the 21st century. #
- The Disquiet Junto instruction email last night went into some people’s spam folders. Project is here: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- What he said. RT @Chegreco 14e Junto du merveilleux Disquiet sera un bel « excercice de style » musical | Oulipo ¬ Oubapo ¬ Oumupo | #
- #junto I love it. Bonus points for 99-second entries. RT @mmaddencomics none of this 2-7 minutes mollycoddling: It’s 99 seconds or nothing! #
- The 14th Disquiet Junto is a sonic-narrative rendition of @mmaddencomics‘ 99 Ways to Tell a Story: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- 14th Disquiet Junto project instructions went out to email list. No translations right now (I was traveling), but we may have some shortly. #
- Now: tunnel remix of aforementioned quasi-monophonic lofi surround sound version of public radio. With playful honking. #
- Stuck in traffic. Public-radio broadcasts coming from multiple slow-moving vehicles. An automotive 40 Part Motet. #
- The 14th weekly Disquiet Junto assignment goes out shortly. This week it’s “sonic narrative.” (Next week it’s “color theory.”) #
- Dear @googl: It’d be excellent if a field could be added to allow for a line-item description of a given link. #
- When is Reference Librarian Appreciation Day? #
- Did graphic designer of CPR book consciously feed off anxiety of Barbara Kruger typography? http://t.co/EBv8c8ej #
- RIP, the man synonymous with the amplifier, Jim Marshall (b. 1923) of Marshall Amps: http://t.co/PXdIKco3 #
- At Apple Store person asked for Mac Counter to meet up with friend. Employee explained this is the Genius Bar; Mac Counter is another place. #
- Graphics for @PropellerheadSW app Figure resemble Josef Albers’ album covers, don’t they? http://t.co/6seMNU8H (via @pheezy) #
- Back home from LA. Familiar sounds: refrigerator drone, electrical whine, a particular nearing-midnight pace to traffic. #
- My 19-month-old just talked with me on the phone for the first time. Apparently this ended with peering deep inside the phone. #
- At the Theme Building at LAX. #
- If you have two instances of same program open in different Desktops in OS X Lion, Command Tab doesn’t distinguish them. #grumble #
- First ever Disquiet Junto concert scheduled for April 19 in Chicago. Details to follow as date approaches. #
- Disquiet Junto this week will be sonic narrative, diving headlong into Oulipo. (Color-theory held off for plan refinement.) #
- You send a note to a company’s help request, and you get a reply from someone you know. #
- The hotel room is less Scylla and Charybdis than refrigerator drone and elevator rumble. #
- MC Escher designed the topography of downtown Los Angeles. #
- Pretty happy with Android version of Instagram, except it says some recent photos too small to publish. Maybe they are. #
- Next Junto: color theory. Future Juntos: video underscore, sonic narrative, app deployment, pixel blues. #
- Major thanks, @wildUp @orionrountree @mlaffs, for the Shostakovich source audio for the past week’s project. About 65 remixers participated. #
- A couple hours to midnight, we’re at 60 (or 62, depending on search return exigencies) @wildup Shostakovich Junto remixes. #
- This Monolake song is first time I’ve set a song as “my new jam” that actually feels like “my new jam” and not just “here’s something good.” #
- “Afterglow” by Monolake is my new jam. ♫ http://t.co/7YyFkcLJ #
- I like that take. RT @HXDK: listening to this week’s @disquiet #junto feeling a Soviet science fiction soundtrack vibe in a lot of them. in reply to HXDK #
- Back from day on town with my 19-month-old to find 57 (!) remixes in the @wildUp Shostakovich Junto: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 @daysnotover #
- Monolake: Ghosts: Afterglow. On repeat. #
- Realizing I will be at about 35,000 feet on way toward L.A. tomorrow when the Tuesday noon siren occurs. #
- Now 45 @wildup Shostakovich Junto remixes. Loving @djkaboodle‘s machinations: djkaboodle and 1st-timer @brokenhours‘ http://t.co/ssbJOXT2. #
- Now 2 shy of 40 @wildup Shostakovich Junto remixes, and there’s still a day and a quarter left; either 3 or 4 first-timers too. #
- 6:00pm bells, consumed by passing jet engine. #
- The guilt of enjoying the resonance of a distant siren knowing somewhere for someone else the same sense of distance is a cause for alarm. #
- What he said. RT @DETXL: Observing the world with noise-isolating earphones is bizarre. People open their mouths, and Philip Glass comes out #
- Woke to find we’re now just 1 remix shy of 30 in the @wildup Shostakovich Junto: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5. Plenty of fine morning listens. #
- I try to watch a commercial on YouTube but it forces me to watch another one first. Someday it’ll show the commercial I want to watch twice. #
- 1 shy of 20th @wildup Shostakovich Junto remix. Latest: Chiara Zedek of Brooklyn; Linda Aubry Bullock of Cambridge, MA: http://t.co/1JOZV3wt #
- I think the people at Apple who work on Mission Control and the people who handle CTRL-tab aren’t on speaking terms. #
- Many thanks to @chutson99 for the amazing Shostakovich stencil at top of this post: http://t.co/WCcUKtJv. Cc @wildUp @mlaffs in reply to chutson99 #
5 Most Recent Posts
Spring 2013: The Disquiet Junto is assisting Geoff Manaugh in a course he is teaching at Columbia University's GSAPP, "San Andreas: Architecture for the Fault." Details at bldgblog.blogspot.com.
February 26: I'm giving a three-hour guest lecture about listening to a class on writing for radio productions at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
May 15, 2013: Last day of 15-week course I'm teaching about sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco, California.
Ongoing: In January 2013 I became part of the SoundCloud Heroes project, more on which in the near future. In the short term, full disclosure, I was gifted the top-level account, Pro Plus. Initial post here: "What I'm Up To."
Ongoing: The film The Children Next Door (2012), on which I served as music supervisor and collaborated with Taylor Deupree on sound design, is currently touring festivals. It won a special jury prize at DOC NYC and has also played at the Denver and Hamptons festivals. Directed by Doug Block, produced by Lynda A. Hansen. More at thechildrennextdoor.com.
Down the Pike: Concerts in the Disquiet Junto series are in various stages of planning for London, England; Portland, Oregon; and elsewhere.
Way Down the Pike: Currently writing a book about Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, for the 33 1/3 series.
5 Most Recent Comments
pandora internet: "For many regions, the entire rpm distributed free of charge STB The costs have been overwhelmed,..."
colab: "Hi Marc – I’m having problems with the kenzak link – it’s not recognizing my..."
Adrian Hallam: "Hi Marc, Thank you for the lovely write up about “The Parting”. I Really appreciate it...."
MichaelAshSharbaugh: "Dear Mr .Weidenbaum, Good Day! How are you? I just now saw the write-up you gave Adrian..."
Nick Cooke: "Really interesting use of an interesting instrument. "
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. These are the weekly projects to date: 1: ice cubes • 2: duet for foghorn and steam whistle • 3: expanded glass harp • 4: remixing Marcus Fischer • 5: adding sounds to everyday life • 6: remixing archival Edison cylinders • 7: create through subtraction • 8: rework Benjamin Franklin's autobiography • 9: cross-species collaboration • 10: remix a previous Junto track • 11: everyday mechanical rhythms • 12: cut and paste • 13: remixing wild Up playing Shostakovich • 14: sonic version of Matt Madden's Oubapo story • 15: aural RGB • 16: sandpaper and dice • 17: transition between field and composed • 18: relative prominence • 19: graphic score (photo by Yojiro Imasaka) • 20: use the NodeBeat app • 21: the four seasons • 22: sonic decay • 23: palindrone • 24: a suite of sonic alerts • 25: remixing project 24 • 26: making music from your trash • 27: turm the instruction text into sound • 28: remix a netlabel release • 29: music from water, inspired by William Gibson's Count Zero • 30: sounds from silence • 31: Revisiting a 1955 Yoko Ono Fluxus piece • 32: sonify the 2012 U.S. presidential election polling data • 33: making music with a turntable but without vinyl • 34: Use the theme song of the Radius broadcast as the source of an original composition • 35: Make music from a sample page of Beck's Song Reader sheet music • 36: Reworking Bach into abstract expressionism • 37: The sound of commerce • 38: Make a fake field recording • 39: Combine three tracks from the Nowaki netlabel into one • 40: Turn a Kenneth Kirschner duet into a trio • 41: Dirty minimalism • 42: Record a "naive melody" with your oldest and newest instruments> • 43: Make mechanical roars from the sound of a retail space • 44: Transition from storm to calm using field recordings from Sandy 2012 • 45: Combine material from the public domain adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Tom Sawyer • 46: Investigate a recording of the voting process for its "sonic fingerprint." • 47: Turn the muffled voices of a distant party into the foundation of a recording. • 48: Celebrate the Creative Commons license that allows for derivative works by remixing music from the Three Legs Duck netlabel. • 49: Make a track, 50% of which is the sound of a tape cassette deck in motion. • 50: Encode a word or phrase in Morse Code and employ that as a track's rhythm. • 51: Create a 2012 audio diary with a dozen five-second segments. • 52: Celebrate the Creative Commons by remixing three tracks from the Bump Foot netlabel. • 53: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it (redux). • 54: Create an original musical score for the day's news. • 55: Combine two Nils Frahm solo piano pieces into one. • 56: Make music from the sound of the tick of a clock. • 57: Use sounds from the Phonetics Lab Archive at UCLA to depict emotions. • 58: Celebrate the Creative Commons by remixing three tracks from the Endless Ascent netlabel. • 59: Make music from three randomly assigned vowels. • 60: Record something about yourself and your music/sound in your own words and voice. • 61: Record a single for which the cover would be the image suggested by a @textinstagram tweet. • 62: Make music using just three sine waves. • 63: Make a new piece of music based on an echo-laden re-recording of Gregorian chant. • 64: Compose a piece to align with, from memory, 60 seconds of everyday sound. • 65: Compose music atop a randomly assigned segment of a pre-existing track by Jared Brickman. • 66: Collaborate posthumously with the late Jeffrey (Nofi) Melton. • 67: Compose music for a phrase from Homer's The Odyssey • 68: Combine three songs from the first release of the new deriv.cc netlabel. • 69: Make music from field recordings of earth, water, air, and fire. • 70: Create a single piece of music from two tones and three beats. • 71: Create an original score to the trailer to Christine Knowlton's film about blind sailors. • 72: Make a domestic score from sounds recorded in your own home. • 73: Read a map of the San Andreas Fault as if it were a graphic notation score
Tags8-bit android app audio-games chiptune classical comics copyleft demix field-recording film forum-digger free gadget generative i-hop installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch jazz junto live-performance mp3 discussion group netlabel noise reactive remix rock science-fiction score silence site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands turntablism TV video video-games voice year's best
- The whole time I was in NYC these past few days I imagined running into Steven Soderbergh and saying, “Your paintings better be awesome.” 2 days ago
- “Why are you calling me! This is a Facebook thing! Not a phone thing!” Overheard at Greepoint Pier this morning. 2 days ago
- Paying respect at Adam Yauch Park. instagram.com/p/Zs9pvwLIsW/ 2 days ago
- There was a 5.7-magnitude California qyake last night just as we we launced the quake-themed @djunto/@bldgblog Junto: disquiet.com/2013/05/23/dis… 2 days ago
- Earthquake sonics. Presented in conjunction w/ @bldgblog, the 73rd Disquiet Junto is now live: disquiet.com/2013/05/23/dis… soundcloud.com/groups/disquie… 2 days ago