- Video of my introductory statement at the 4/19 Chicago Disquiet Junto Enemy group concert: http://t.co/lmuhx2AE #
- Funny: The sound of a raging Dyson hand dryer from the bathroom of a small quiet cafe. #
- Many thanks to @peterkirn for this thoughtful overview of Disquiet Junto, LX(RMX), & Instragr/am/mbient: http://t.co/5qSdxXDy #
- More on this when time frees up, but I have a piece on San Francisco’s sonic-arts infrastructure at @artpractical: http://t.co/zwKL1lW2 #
- The 16th Disquiet Junto project is at http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. Due Monday, April 23, at 11:59pm wherever you are. #
- RIP, graphic designer David Hillman Curtis (b. 1961), who directed Ride, Rise, Roar film about the Songs of David Byrne and Brian Eno Tour. #
- Belated RIP, Dick Clark (b. 1929), eternal teenager, and the Band’s Levon Helm (b. 1940), who always seemed old beyond his years. #
- Disquiet Junto 16: Make a new track from samples of dice and sandpaper; use one as background, the other as foreground: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- So, er, tonight’s show went later than expected. The 16th Disquiet Junto project will go out shortly. Theme: “Background & Foreground.” #
- Back at the hotel thanks to a ride from @xyzr_kx. Many thanks to @cranksatori & Enemy for hosting the Disquiet Junto concert. #
- Tonight’s Junto show has had 4 Jasons and 3 OP-1s. #
- Second set (three acts) of Disquiet Junto live at Enemy in Chicago about to begin at numbers.fm. #
- Image from first piece, now moving to guitar. RT @colepierce: @cinchel @disquiet junto http://t.co/EJPYOtE9 #
- The Disquiet Junto concert (7 musicians playing expanded works for glass harmonica) is streaming live from Enemy in Chicago on numbers.fm. #
- Noise-cancellation speaker system at Enemy in Chicago. http://t.co/inik6mmL #
- Nice surprise: Michael Esposito, whose EVP work I’ve enjoyed, is joining Jason Soliday’s set at the Disquiet Junto show in Chicago tonight. #
- Great afternoon at Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago: Marclay, Clark, Creed, Ahearn, Kruger, more. #
- 5.5 hours until the live Disquiet Junto show at Enemy in Chicago (9pm Central), also to stream at numbers.fm. #
- Waking up in Chicago. My cell phone, with its central-time NOLA area code, must feel more at home than in San Francisco. #
- 24 hours from now we’ll be in the middle of the Disquiet Junto concert at Enemy in Chicago. #
- Hotel HVAC in Evanston isn’t too overbearing. Less space station, more Biosphere. #
- Twitter is doing crazy things with my DMs. Ones from the past keep popping up as new. Cc @Support #
- Landed in Chicago. #
- I interviewed Morton Subotnick in advance of his @communikey event: http://t.co/Z6QKqGBH (#shoutout: @ethanhein) #
- Country music on the radio in a ramen restaurant (in Santa Clara). #
- Man, I am so excited about this Chicago Disquiet Junto show: http://t.co/ak3PTwrj. Thursday can’t arrive quickly enough. #
- Presentation by @voxeet on conference calls @demo. Smart. VU meters & freeform 3D-audio placement distinguish who’s talking. #
- Most interesting thing on the radio while driving south on 101 was the scan button. http://t.co/SjoVuLwP #
- RT @xyzr_kx playing noise show Thursday w/ @disquiet Junto. don’t expect singing…or notes. well there might be notes http://t.co/HPkcevKJ #
- “Rendition” sounds clandestine. “Portal” makes me think of a video game. What word will I lose next to a reference? #
- Everything I know about parenting I learned from the “Splicers” episode of Batman Beyond. #
- 28th entry in 15th Junto (depicting RGB interactions in sound) is by 1st-time participant @joshcarr: http://t.co/CNDU1Dsj #
- Anyone else going to @demo tomorrow? Anything in particular I should check out? #
- I wrote on @SoundCloud -> @aworks commented about fluidity in listening habits -> people argue about audio formats http://t.co/qVHNvt56 #oy #
- So far, my experience of the Jambox is only confirming my sense that Bluetooth is the fax of the digital era. #
- Eager for Jonathan Lethem’s Fear of Music book from 33 1/3. His They Live fan-notes book was stellar. #
- Excited to head to Chicago for a few days. If anything’s going on I shouldn’t miss (sound-wise/gallery-wise) lemme know. #
- If you’re in Chicago Thursday, come hear/see Disquiet Junto live: http://t.co/j4fUeVOe #
- Thanks, @aworks, for weighing in on my @newmusicbox @soundcloud piece, in regard to the slow march of music formats: http://t.co/8Ez6b6So #
- Images of @salvagione book(let) (Element) due from new @boondesign venture (Extracurricular Press) with an essay by me http://t.co/rEScHDeH #
- Street sounds, Golden Gate Park: http://t.co/cr2ADbIn #
- Woke to, now, 19 renditions of the color-theory Junto sound project: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5. #
- 13 different — very different — Junto responses thus far to interpreting color as sound: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #rgb #
- Updated work I dod for @salvagione with better photos: http://t.co/nsuipzPL http://t.co/1tAsTBED http://t.co/w39ED2ok http://t.co/9EZZQ05U #
- Cafe radio is channeling my college years: first Violent Femmes, now R.E.M. Guessing there will be no Metallica, John Zorn, or Cecil Taylor. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet. • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice